Tags:  No tags yet. 
[closed]

Cigarette Brands

(53 posts)
  1. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I am sorry if it is not allowed here (mods can delete if it's against the rules), but I wonder what cigarette brand you smoke. And how much does a pack cost?

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I prefer camels. 7.25 usd. My wife prefers natural American spirit. 9.75 usd. Wisconsin prices.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Wow, I guess the prices are high because of the taxes. I checked Camel yesterday, it costs 1.60 azn (local currency) here, around $0.90. I bought Sobranie Blue for $1.68. Prices seem to be really low in dollars just because the local currency lost its value against USD.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I smoked regularly, I was a Camel Lights guy. Around here, they are around $10.50 a pack. When I indulge now, it's usually Marlboro Silver. Same price point as Camel.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cigs here in central Pa run $6.90 to 10.00,now I roll my own for $9.00 a carton.Camel non filter were my favorite for the longest time.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My wife smokes Pall Malls; $7.65 per pack in Minnesota but just $5.45 in Iowa so I make a run for the border once a month for her.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I smoked cigarettes, I smoked Camel Lights or Blue, or whatever they changed their name to. You can still get them for $4.90 (give or take $0.75) a pack in Alabama. But, I thought that it was interesting that the American Spirits still cost a tad over $9 a pack. The generic cigarettes can still be found for under $4.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MCDs until the new owner messes with them. $62.00 for a carton of five packs up here. The hip's abut healed so I'm looking forward to cracking open a pack a week from today!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. drennan

drennan

Login to Send PM

When I smoked ciggies I was a camel man, I paid €6 a pack or aound $6.30.

In the UK I used to smoke Embassy, currently a pack is around $12.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I smoked cigs I was a Woodbine man along with Capstan Full Strength, Players Medium Navy Cut and Piccadilly No.1 which had 25 in a pack. If I occasional smoke a cigarette these days I roll my own and make the smoke out of very finely shaved Warrior Plug that has been rubbed out to the consistency of RYO tobacco. The last time I purchased a pack of Woodbine they were about Eleven Pounds a pack and only came in 20s as the old 10s had been phased out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i like Marlboro 72's they are about 6.00 dollars a pack, I have been curious though have yall tried Nat Shermans fantasia cigarettes, are the good?

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been RYO for a little while. Drum or CNT- Canadian Natural Tobacco. The cheapest place I've found is about $39 per pouch.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, the RYO store down the road has the big cans of Drum for $12.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I'm envious. Also the selection isn't the greatest where I live. Most places only carry Drum and the crappy bargain brands.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Drum is actually not very prevalent here. Bugler, Kite, and Top are more popular, and of course people will roll PA and SWR.

My first cigarettes were Chesterfields. I would have stuck with them, because I loved the latakia in them. But, I haven't seen any on the shelves for decades now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Djarum Black, which is unavailable here as of now, it was around 2$ at the time I used to smoke.

There is also Bali Shag Blue rolled into Rizla licorice papers, a beautiful thing really.
    I started smoking pipes to find an alternative to those, since they are unavailable where I live at.

jvnshr
    When you compare wages in America to wages on this side of Earth, the price is actually not that different in comparison.
    As a side note, did you find out anything about Herzegovina Flor cigarettes we discussed in another thread?

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cos, we don't have any of those here.

Is it wrong for me to fantasize about Chesterfields and Woodbines and Capstan Full Strength etc? Because I am!

Tailor made smokes here are either way too expensive or total junk imo, and being a connoisseur of fine tobaccos I just can't abide anymore.

I think I'd really like some of the Stokkebye ryo offerings, but I'm making do and all is well, relatively.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Marlboro lights here. Quit about 10 years again.

Roughly 14.00 a pack now in Chicago. Maybe half that in the burbs.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last ones I smoked were American Spirits in the black pack. Those are damn good cigarettes. I think they were $8 a pack?

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. davidy97

davidy97

Login to Send PM

Yellow American spirits. 7-8$ in Texas last time a bought them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

Used to smoke American Spirits, I quit. Every once in a while a Marl No. 27

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lament the loss, to the U.S. at least, of Gauloises Blondes (blue). IMO the finest cigarette ever crafted.

Cigarettes today are sheet tobacco poison. Need to blend and roll (ROLL, not stuff) your own.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Used to smoke Benson and hedges black and gold, they would be the full strength ones, back then they were 6.50 a pack, cigarettes are now about 17$ a pack, but I no longer smoke cigs. Converted so many smokers to B&H though it was crazy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I buy a pack on rare occasions. They are between $5-$8 in Delaware.

I prefer Parliaments. Gotta say it with a Boston accent though.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cigarettes today are sheet tobacco poison. Need to blend and roll (ROLL, not stuff) your own.

Exactly. Mass-produce tobacco-flavored shredded paper loaded with toxic chemicals for people to smoke, and then when they get sick real tobacco gets the blame.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started with Lucky Strike but quickly switched to Camel Turkish Golds when they were introduced. They were B1G1 for months and months.
    At some point around 2006 I stated smoking kretek exclusively, Djarum Super was my preference.
    When they got snatched from the market in late 08, I started rolling my own kretek using American Spirit RYO and a mix of hand ground Madagascar and Ceylon cloves. Occasionally I'd supplement with a couple cartons of my favored Supers or other brands by ordering directly from Indonesia.

Now I've been off the cigs for almost a year. When I make the odd trip to Strauss Tobacconist I pick up some bulk Stokkebye shag and have fun with that for a week or so.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry if this runs a little long ...

I’ve cut way down on the cigarettes. When I indulge anymore, I stuff my own into empty filter tubes, which I keep on hand. For holidays, I might pick up some Nat Sherman MCDs. For the occasional road trip, I’ll sometimes cheat and pick up a pack of Natural American Spirits, just the original blue/turquoise box.

I bought my first pack of smokes (Marlboros) at the tail of the ‘70s for 75¢. I’ve had time to try nearly every American brand imaginable, along with a few Japanese brands, a few from the U.K., various European, at least one good brand from Canada and one really awful one from the former U.S.S.R.

The first brand I smoked regularly (bought by the $10.40 carton) were a brand R.J. Reynolds only made for a few years in the mid-80s, Sterling Special Blend (I preferred the menthols). I was a sucker for their upscale yuppy ad campaign, but SSBMs (not to be confused with the generic-level Sterlings that came along later) were unusually good. They were cut slightly longer than filter kings, were wrapped in an unstriped white paper that imparted little taste when burned, and were packaged in black hard boxes. The smoke carried cocoa and brandy flavors that worked particularly well with the highly pronounced menthol; the note was reminiscent of *ahem!* an aromatic pipe tobacco. Yummy retrohaling and french-inhaling these! They simply disappeared in ’87 or ’88. I’ve not found a cigarette to match those old Sterling menthols since.

Went from Newports to Marlboros before settling on Natural American Spirits, which I ended up smoking regularly for about 20 years. Those first NAS smokes were thicker, heavier and would go out if left unattended; the smoke was a really hefty burley/virginia. Somewhere along the line (2002), R.J. Reynolds got their mitts on the brand. Now they’re brighter, lighter, narrower, but more readily available. They seem to be running about $11.25-11.50/pack in my neck of Chicago, even more downtown (jefff ... $14?!?).

Between the big cigarette companies throwing their own customer base under the bus and all the insane taxation, I avoid buying factory made cigarettes as much as I can. Besides (and the moral of the story is ), I just find the pipe so much more enjoyable.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great thread, Javin.

I've smoked 20 odd cigarettes since I gave them up nine years ago. But before that, holy hell, I loved them all: smoked menthols as a youth - Benson & Hedges Green - then hand rolled many hundreds of pouches of Drum, Samson & Bali when I left the U.S. I fondly remember the black Colorado Suaves I smoked for years in Argentina as well as the Dunhill Red labels and Players I'd grab in the duty free shops when I was on the road. And every once and again I'd pick up a pack of Camel or Gauloise non-filters just to play a joke on my lungs.

I love cigarettes and I miss them very, very much.

Cosmic, I never knew Chesterfields had an element of Latakia. I wouldn't have appreciated that brand back then, but Lord knows, I would now.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I see lots of Camel fans here. I've smoked Camel only once during our honeymoon with my wife in Maldives. I left my Marlboro pack at the hotel so asked for a cigarette from our tour guide who was smoking Camel. That Camel tasted like crap. Actually I think every cigarette brand in Maldives tastes like crap, even Marlboros. I have to give Camel another try.

I used to smoke Marlboro Gold Touch when I was a student in Korea, after moving to Azerbaijan I became a Parliament smoker because Marlboro didn't taste the same here. With the prices going really high (twice), I had to switch to Winston. Until now the best cigarettes I've ever tried were "George Karelias and sons" (Greek) and Turkish "Parliament Long". I also used to roll my own with Golden Virginia tobacco, Gizeh papers and filters, however I gave all my stuff to a close friend when I quit smoking cigarettes (lasted for 2 months).

ophiuchus, I enjoyed your post.

Great thread, Javin.

Thanks a lot Fnord.

jvnshr
    When you compare wages in America to wages on this side of Earth, the price is actually not that different in comparison.
    As a side note, did you find out anything about Herzegovina Flor cigarettes we discussed in another thread?

That's partially true I think. Wages in Azerbaijan were not that bad 2 years ago and the $ exchange rate was really nice. Then we had 2 devaluations and things changed. And I find tobacco taxes in the States and Europe very high (I am not even talking about Canada and Australia). Regarding Herzegovina Flor cigarettes; whenever I buy a pack of cigarettes I always check the counter for Java. I guess it is not very popular, so not every store carries that brand. And may I ask which side of Earth you are from?

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

I almost forgot - I also had a phase where I smoked Dunhill Fine Cut - black pack almost exclusively. Haven't seen them in years now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jvnshr
    From Georgia, that makes us neighbours in a sense.
    The economic situation here is same as well, not very good for a pipe-smoker.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I forgot about Belomor Canal cigarettes. I loved those and a few years ago a chum got me a bunch of tins of them on a visit to Moscow. I seem to remember putting a tin in the Box Pass and giving several tins away to people on this forum. They really were the original Bolshevik fire cracker!

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

jvnshr
    From Georgia, that makes us neighbours in a sense.

Oh, great. I have been to Tbilisi once, such a great city. And of course, let's not forget the wine. Much to my surprise, you have really good professionals who know a lot about wine, even the sellers at wine shops can give you a lecture about wine making. Unfortunately here in Azerbaijan, they just know about producing and selling, nothing more.

The economic situation here is same as well, not very good for a pipe-smoker.

At least you managed to end bribery and corruption and have visa-free entrance to EU. Let me know if you happen to visit Baku, I will be more than glad to meet you here and smoke a pipe with you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jvnshr
    We like to believe that we invented the wine, so familiarity with it to a certain extent is expected from citizens.
    I'll be sure to pop by if I happen to be there.

Is tobacco widely distributed there? Only blend that I'd call outstanding I managed to find here was Peterson Irish.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Smoked Marlboros in my teens at under $2.00 a pack. Later switched to Camels then Winston. Finally American Spirit Blue at $5.00 a pack and they are $7.50 now. American Spirit Black was the last pack I ever bought some time last spring. AS are the best tasting cigs I ever had, aside from some french (?) brand I had 20 years ago.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  36. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

jvnshr
    We like to believe that we invented the wine, so familiarity with it to a certain extent is expected from citizens.
    I'll be sure to pop by if I happen to be there.

Is tobacco widely distributed there? Only blend that I'd call outstanding I managed to find here was Peterson Irish.

All I can find is Captain Black and Erinmore. You may see some exotic blends once in a while. Cigarettes and vodka are widely distributed here though

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was working in the RFE, Canals were great fun. A grqt wake up cigarette also. If you want to come close to that experience, put your cigarette between fourth and fifth finger, close your fingers to form a tube, now suck deeply from the hole formed by your index finger. Lovely! Right?

A Marlboro made in, is it Poland these days, tastes nothing akin to one made in the US. I enjoyed European Marlboros when I worked in Russia.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

American Spirit Yellow
    American Spirit sage/celadon
    Camel Turkish Royals
    Marlboro Reds

Camel Turkish Royals used to be my go to until I switched to mostly Spirits for the more natural tobacco. I personally think they are the best tasting mainstream cig out there. Camel recently rereleased the Turkish line, I think the royals are still the same recipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

If you want to come close to that experience, put your cigarette between fourth and fifth finger, close your fingers to form a tube, now suck deeply from the hole formed by your index finger.

I have to try this one next time

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know that the black American Spirits are Virginia/Perique blends, but What are the differences between the blue, light blue, yellow, green, and orange, and red packs? I have been to their website, and it's still not clear to me. Do you guys just try each of them to see which one is a blend that you like?

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic
    This one seems to sum it up.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've heard about those Belomor Canal cigs before, supposedly pretty strong tobacco in those.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last I smoked cigarettes, I smoked unfiltered Camels or Lucky Strikes. They were 35-40¢ a pack then. When I tried cigarettes again about 10 years ago I went to an east Indian brand, I'm sorry, all I remember is that they had a picture of the Hindu God Krishna or something on the cover and they looked darker and crudely made by our standards. But they would knock you on your ass. One of those was enough to keep you good for hours.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  44. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

A friend brought some Lucky Strikes from Turkey yesterday, I don't remember smoking them before. And they don't taste like anything I've tried before.

Should we do an International Cigarette Swap? Will anyone be interested in that?

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to smoke Sobranie Black ... cost less than EUR 5 when last bought a pack. My wife smokes Daffidoff Gold. Man I am surprised to see the price of smokes went through the roof in the US. Back when I lived in Texas I used to smoke Pall Mall blue ... and if I remember correctly it cost roughly around US 4.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  46. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

It took me 25 years to kick the cigarettes (and roll ups), and I hope to never walk that path again! Pipe and nasal snuff all the way for me now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Sobranie Black - I also used to smoke it when I couldn't find Sobranie Blue, Black had a strong taste and higher nicotine content than Blue. I remember buying Davidoff Gold slims from the cafe of an airport once, because they had no other cigarette brands available. I couldn't smoke it, made me cough a lot. It has a bitter taste. I wonder if Sobranie and Davidoff cigarettes are all same around the world, guess not.

Here is the Lucky Strike I was talking about:

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They tried marketing the filtered Lucky's here... they didn't last long.

I will grab a pack of the unfiltered once in awhile as a treat. Good cigarette.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jvnshr in Europe regulations make manufacturers print a white label on the side that states the cigarette's strength in terms of tar and nicotine. And yes, you are right the balcks are 10 mgs and the blues are 8. If you are a fan of Sobranie, although a bit more expensive, I recommend the Sobranie Black Russian. Very fine cigarettes ... Reminds me a bit of Sheppard's Hotel.

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to be the jerk, but we are so strict about the other smoking threads that this also violates out rules doesnt it?
    7. Discussion of electronic cigarettes, or any other electronic nicotine delivery device is forbidden. Posts regarding marijuana or other drugs are not allowed. These items have NOTHING to do whatsoever with the true pipe smoking experience. If you want to talk about these items, you are in the wrong place. That goes for Hookah too. Hookahs are the wine coolers of the tobacco world, and they also have nothing to do with the true tobacco pipe smoking experience. Again, if you want to discuss them, please find another website to do so.

We dont talk about cigars, Native American herbs or other herbs, or other smoking means, so seems like cigarettes would fall under these as well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well there's a mod about ten posts up who obviously does not give a shit.

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well there's a mod about ten posts up who obviously does not give a shit.

Mods are human and make mistakes also. If they want to let it go so be it, but it needs to be brought up next time the same rule is brought up when someone else posts off topic and against the same rule. Same rules should apply for everyone.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Crap, it is a rule.
    I am not sure why we can talk about our tropical aquariums and even what music we listen to, but we can't talk about cigarettes, or hookahs, which don't have to be candy coated tobaccos. I've had some great Turkish in a hookah.
    But for the record, I have only ever closed a vape or hookah thread, when it was requested by a member. But, rules are rules... sigh.

Posted 2 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   frankrem, mikethompson, kylef, tbradsim1, eddiegrob, morgansteele