PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
Cigars and pipe smokers are usually lumped together, perhaps to differentiate them from cigarette smokers and perhaps because to the uninitiated, tobacco is tobacco, whether it is smoked in a pipe or cigar.

But there are big differences between the two, of which I only recently became aware. I guess it's like the difference between vodka, whiskey, cream liquor, wine and beer - they all contain alcohol, but they all taste very differently from each other. On the link below it's explained quite nicely:
http://www.st-group.com/en/about-our-tobacco/making-of-tobacco/pipe-tobacco
You know other places that address these differences?

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
Interesting. I've been tempted to cut an inch or so section off of one of my 50-ring cigars and stuff it into a pipe bowl and give it a smoke. I wonder if anyone has tried this?

grouchkake

Lurker
Dec 17, 2016
When you find a cigar that is hard to put down to the point where you have a nub that is burning your fingers, you grab a cob and stick the nub in there to get a 100% ash conversion rate (minus the cap you clipped, which I've heard a few people also collect and shove into a pipe when you got enough)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I've been tempted to cut an inch or so section off of one of my 50-ring cigars and stuff it into a pipe bowl and give it a smoke. I wonder if anyone has tried this?
I have. I purchased a box of cigars on the beach while in Cuba a couple years back. Seeing as these cigars did not pass quality control (so they fell off a back of a truck) I was not surprised to find a couple that were so tight I could not draw through them.
To correct this problem, I decided the chop the cigar into coin cut tobacco. It worked just fine, but the flavour of the cigar was very different in the pipe. I did not get the full bodied, creamy smoke common with these stogies.
In my opinion, the cigar tasted better as a cigar, but if it cannot be smoked due to poor construction, chopping it up for a pipe is a great alternative.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got blends with cigar leaf that taste wonderful. Billy Budd and Habana Daydream.

There are many more.

What I've done with the cigars I've either been gifted or somehow acquired (I bought one or two, just for the purpose) is cut off a piece and blend it with some pipe tobacco for that added dimension.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
So, would it be possible for a cigar manufacturer to make a cigar from pipe tobacco? All the pipe smoker would then have to do is cut a 1-inch piece off of the cigar and drop it in his pipe bowl....easy peasy.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I am not able to enjoy smoking cigars directly so I often mix them with tobacco pipe and smoke with my pipe.

Apparently I am not the only one, since an Italian company is selling the following product made of the far ends of Tuscan cigars
SIyyA3z.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
So, would it be possible for a cigar manufacturer to make a cigar from pipe tobacco?
Yes, I've rolled "Puro" cigars from Burley and Dark Fired leaf with success. Also, they don't call them cigars but you can buy pipe tobacco in twists / ropes / rounds in which you cut off a chunk and smoke it.
an Italian company is selling the following product made of the far ends of Tuscan cigars
I've usually got a bag of those scraps around ... great for blending or grinding into snuff.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
As an experienced cigar smoker, I can tell you far more about cigars than pipe. They are both enjoyable, but in my opinion, they are two worlds apart. First of all the tobacco in each individual case has its own story, its own way of growing and harvesting. Like I said, I may be limited when it comes to pipe, but cigars have been and still are something I highly enjoy. Most cigar tobacco, both filler and binder, is new world tobacco (well maybe except the Italian world famous Toscana's, which are made with domestic fermented tobacco, and which create a class of cigars within themselves). Many prefer Cuban cigars arguing that the volcanic soil of the island gives tobacco a special taste. Personally I have found very good cigars from countries throughout the Caribbean that are truly rivals to the old fashioned Havanas. One example that comes to mind is the Arturo Fuentes Opus X. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Havanas are bad, although I think the quality of Cuban cigars is a tad exaggerated especially in the context of a long US embargo on Cuban goods. Soil does, however, play an important role in cigar tobacco and for some reason the cigar cliche is that the best soil in the world is in Latin america.
As far as taste, the filler (made out of 3-5 leaves of tobacco) ranges in variety, but in comparison to pipe most cigars smoke the same, have a lesser variety in smell and taste with a large pallet of variance on the same note. The binder also adds flavor, but you don't have different blends like in pipe, but various intensities from light (maybe candela binder) to dark (possibly a maduro). Sweetness also comes with dark, but is not as noticeable on your tongue as in pipe blends. Also dark binders tend to have a high nicotine note. As far as taste goes, cigar taste is maybe as diverse as pipe, but on a totally different note. Mind your ammonium, cigar tobacco releases a lot of ammonium, especially after it has been lit. Try one thing, smoke a cigar and leave the but over night in the kitchen ash tray - by morning you will hardly be able to stand the smell there.
When talking about cigars one inevitably talks about storage. Let us remember that cigars are kept in humidors, wooden boxes usually made out of Spanish cedar (a very dense type of tree, that keeps moisture within or outside), at a constant 70% +/- humidity. Controlled temperature is also recommend, as higher temperatures tend to hatch microscopic tobacco bug eggs, and damage the stogie. Given the rather rigid storage conditions for cigars, one can imagine that cigar smoking is less subject to creativity in comparison to pipe smoking. While you can dry pipe tobacco, or prefer it a bit moist, cigars cannot be smoked too dry or too damp. Too damp won't light, and too dry is very brittle and tasteless.
Rhythm - another main difference. Since I am smoking pipe on a regular basis, I have noticed that I am applying the same rhythm to my cigar smoking - not necessarily a good thing. Overall my experience has taught me that pipe smoking has a more alert rhythm while cigar should be smoked at a slower pace.
"When you find a cigar that is hard to put down to the point where you have a nub that is burning your fingers (...)" grouchkake, I never smoke my cigars, no matter how tasty, past the point where they drag hot smoke - usually a couple of inches of cigar left, give or take. They won't bite you like pipe tobacco does, but it destroys all the good taste in my mouth.
I am not sure I have made good arguments, or if I made any sense what so ever. I do tend to get excited when talking about cigars, and often times don't mind my coherence.
Good subject by the way ... I will think some more on it, and maybe come back with some more input :)

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I know just enough to be dangerous here... One of the primary differences between pipe and cigar is the leaf itself. While pipe tobacco relies heavily on Virginia, Burley, Oriental, Dark Fired, Latakia & Perique, 99% of cigars are made exclusively of Dark Air Cured.
I've struggled over the years to get a good explanation of the differences between Burely and Dark Air Cured. They are grown in the same areas, cured in the same way, and look similar. Both have almost no natural sugars, and tend to have high nicotine levels.
I was finally able to see both of the strains at a farm on a leaf buying trip a couple of months ago. Dark Air Cured is, well, darker than Burely. It's also a bit smaller, and tends to curl into a pig tail at the tip. It's thicker, and higher than nicotine than Burley. To make things more confusing, a good bit of Dark Air Cured is also used in pipe tobacco, primarily for Black Cavendish. Much of the nicotine is leached out in the steaming process.
The processing of the leaf for cigars is also quite different than pipe tobacco. For pipe, we moisten the leaf (it arrives here in a dry, brittle state), then apply casing, then dry, cut, dry again, and apply top flavor if applicable.
For cigar, the leaves will undergo several stages of fermentation. This will deepen the intensity and the strength. No casing or flavoring is applied for most hand made cigars.
As for using pipe tobacco in a cigar - shameless plug alert. I recently launched a cigar called Half Pipe, which is half Dominican cigar leaf, and half black Cavendish. There are also rum and cherry versions. As of now you can find it in Speedway, and a few of your favorite online retailers.

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
Maybe the most amazing difference for me is that the smoke from pipe tobacco (at least the aromatics I've tried for the past month since I took up the hobby) doesn't stick to clothes. Also, an unfinished pipe left overnight doesn't stink at all in the morning. As mentioned above, try doing that with a cigar. :twisted: Whatever the reasons for this are (maybe an expert could clarify it for us), it's a big plus for pipe tobacco, as far as I'm concerned.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
[For cigar, the leaves will undergo several stages of fermentation. This will deepen the intensity and the strength. No casing or flavoring is applied for most hand made cigars.]
Bati & Chasses's Cigar Companion (1995) describe the process as following: "[n.a. after harvest] the bundles of leaves are then taken to a tobacco barn on the vega, or plantation, to be cured. The barns face west so that the sun heats one end in the morning, and the other in the afternoon. The temperature and humidity in the barns if carefully controlled, if necessary by opneing and closing the doors at both ends (usually kept shut) to take account of changes of temperature or rainfall. Once leaves reach the barn, they are strung up on poles, or cujes, using thread and needle. The poles, each holding around 100 leaves, are hoisted up horizontally (their position high in the barn allows air to circulate) and the leaves left to dry for between 45 and 60 days, depending on the weather. During this time, the green chlorophyll in the leaves turns into brwon carotene, giving them their characteristic color. The poles are then taken down, and threads cut, and the leaves stacked into bundles according to type. The bundles are then taken to the fermentation houses and placed in piles about three feet high, covered with jute. Enough moisture remains in the leaves to spark the first fermentation, a process like composting. Heat develops, but the temperature must be watched carefully so that it does not exceed 95 deg. F during the 35 to 40 days that the piles are left intact. The leaves assume a uniform color. The piles are then broken up and the leaves cooled. The next stop in their journey is at the escogiada, or sorting house, where they will be graded (...)"

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
That description only talks about 1 fermentation. The 95 deg temp is arbitrary. You can ferment to whatever temp you want too. I would suspect that each cigar manufacturer guards their fermentation temp rather closely. Cigar wrapper is fermented at a much lower temp than a binder or filler.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
"Stages" was probably an inexact phrase to use. It's really probably better described as a single stage or process. The way I've seen it done is with the tobacco piled into giant mounds (pilons), containing anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 lbs of tobacco. The tobacco within each pilon is then rotated multiple times throughout the process to ensure even fermentation.
The fermentation rooms themselves are quite... aromatic, as the process releases ammonia from the leaves.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Long story short and judging by other people's comments, the only thing that the two have in common is that in both cases you smoke the tobacco. Other than that, they are worlds apart - starting with the manufacturing process, all the way to storing, and enjoyment. So, generally speaking, cigar smokers and pipe smokers should not be "lumped together". Of course, one cigar smoker can also be a pipe smoker, but I think that even among non smokers or profane smokers, at least cigar smoking and pipe smoking should be treated distinctly.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Actually, cigar leaf and pipe leaf are very similar. They both are grown and cured in a similar fashion.They both go through a fermentation stage. They both are aged for a few years before smoking.Virginia is the exception though, it goes though a flue cure process.

Status
Not open for further replies.