Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Cigar Smokers, Let's Get This Going Again!

(85 posts)
  1. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://cigarchronicles.com

Kevin's other site is dead, let's breathe life into it from all the members who smoke cigars here.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe not, I can't even register.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow... I didn't even now he had another site devoted to cigars!
    I'd gladly participate but I no longer smoke cigars, but I sincerely hope his site devoted to cigars does well and survives.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it was before this site, but there's reviews from Russ Oulette and stuff, I found it from the link on this site at the upper right side.

Edit: Upper left side beneath tobaccoreviews.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am/was a member of that site but I have not been on it in a long time. I've been smoking a box of Camacho's a week for many years. The issue for me was why tell people that I smoke the same cigar over and over. I love my cigars but as forums go they do tend to be boring for me. Despite the hundreds of labels there really isn't much variability as opposed to pipe tobacco. I've been a pipe and cigar smoker for 44 years and I'm smoking a Camacho as I type this but I really much prefer to discuss pipes and their blends.
    I really don't mean to take any wind out of your sails because , obviously, I'm cigar guy too. So how do we make things different and more interesting?

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked an Oliva series V Belisco Maduro tonight for the first time, I recently got a box of those, a box of series O Churchills, a box of Joya de nicaragua antano 1970 consuls, and a box of Alec Bradley American Sungrown corona's. From the comments some of the cigar smokers were making here about preferring Dominicans etc.. to Cuban's I thought I'd take the plunge. I wouldn't say I've smoked anything better than the cuban's I've tried, only Montecristo #4's and Cohiba Esplandido's, but for the price point their right on. I would be curious to try one of these 20$ per stick Dominican's but for a 3-4$ cigar I'm more than content with the offerings I've found. Also the La Gloria Cubana petite's I picked up are magnificent. Me and my older brother who's really into cubans both agreed they were very good, and at about 1.25$ a stick, it has a cuban tasting profile. I find cigars and pipes go together well, a cigar is more of a kick back and relax thing for me, whereas the pipe is more of a twice a day thing for me. Love the Joya de Nicaragua antono's too, man those are strong. I'm getting CAD happening big time.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How are the camacho's? Which sticks of there's do you smoke?

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Corojo Turbo's. I like full bodied cigars. I will get opus X the few times a year they are available. Fonseca Cubana Limitada and the new Dante line are treats.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. buzkirk

buzkirk

Login to Send PM

I tried, but got very lonely over there.

It got to the point it was just me and Stan saying good morning to each other.

Power on brother, it could be another great site !

Tom

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Man O' War Ruination, UnderCrown, La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor, Ashton VSG, My Father are among current favorites. One of the best cigars I ever smoked in the 80's and 90's, Royal Jamaica, is available at $30 each and higher. They were infused with a unique flavor that gave a slightly sweet taste. Hurricane ruined their factory in Jamaica and that blend is no more. Only Cuban I like is Montecristo #2. Far too many cigars are greatly overpriced today.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yo bigger - before I jumped back into pipes, I was big on RoyJams, especially their paper-wrapped Parklanes. In fact, it was the demise of these RJs that got me looking again at pipes, and in the 7 years since, I have only puffed about 6 cigars, all at weddings and such. I've even bought a few dozen cigars at various B&Ms since, but they languish in my humidors along with about a dozen boxes from the old days.

I'm with you on Cubans, except that I do like Cohibas too, such as the Siglos #5. One of these days I need to try out your 5 current favorites - it looks like our palates are mirror images of each other.

Didn't you just move East? We'll have to discuss at Morley's.

hp
    les

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah I wouldn't say cubans are overrated, I'd say for the price they are though when you get them outside of cuba. Like the montecristo's I got for 4$ each from someone who brought them back. But over here, I'll take a nob-cuban any day. Like that oliva I had last night was pretty much the same as the cuban's I've had, so I'm not going to pay 20$ per stick for a really similar similar non-cuban I can get for 3-4$. I just look at the top 25 cigars of the year, read the flavor profiles and notice these under 5$ smokes with a 90+ rating are right up there with a 20$ plus cuban, so it's a simple choice for me to make.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Andrew thanks to you I'm taking a dip it the cigar world. I just ordered those Acid Krush cigars 1 tin of each of the four flavors. I will use those to open my door to cigars. The best experience I had with a cigar was in Ybor City, Florida I had a Connecticut wrapped cigar along side a cafe con leche in a cigar lounge. It was really great.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe combine the forums? That would be epic. Love the cigar babes, something about a woman with a round object in her mouth....... Watch out Smokey C.A.D is a bitch, on the upside though it's nice to be able to give out cigars . Those acid's are a nice size and actually give you about a 30 minute smoke. I don't really take my pipes with me so it's nice to have a small cigar like that, it's convienient. Never tried those let me know how they are

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still maintain a small space for cigars ... probably no more than 30 to 40 at a time.

Usually, I'll buy them in 5-packs or singles just tossed on with a TAD order.

My favorite "value" cigar is Sancho Panza Double Maduro in either the La Mancha (corona) or Quixote (robusto).

As for higher end sticks, Ashton VSG and Arturo Fuente are my "treats" to myself.

Middle ground picks are Padron, Carlos Torano and AJ Fernandez.

AJ Fernandez makes a cigar that incorporates Latakia called Spectre ... good stuff!

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love a good cigar and keep hundreds on hand at all times. Over the years I have been active on 8 or 10 cigar based forums and moderator on 3 of those. I've made a LOT of IN PERSON good friends from all over the globe. At the same time, I can see why a cigar forum fades away.

A GOOD forum of any kind takes a lot of time, dedication, & money to run. Then you need a large & active user base to support it...hard to do in this day of the cigar boom being long over. Could cigarchronicles.com be brought back from the grave? Maybe - maybe not.

For you cigar smokers, IMHO you should all try at least one Illusione 88 and Cruzado Marelas. For those who REALLY know their cigars, FR NNUU

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I can't do the cigar forums like I can PM, the conversation is rather stagnant. I am a pipe smoker first but have a humidor as well that -like @cobguy does- toss in a couple sticks per TAD order from P&C.

My last pick ups were Flor de Las Antillas Toros and La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Robustos. I don't smoke my cigars very often since I am primarily aging them. Most are over a year old now and I haven't smoked one in over a month ...

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah I think combining the forums as pipes and cigars magazine would be awesome, then there could be sections for cigars, or even a cigar section on here. I primarily use the internet for reviews of cigars. I know there's already a few cigar forums like puff and Cigar aficionado, I guess we'll see what the future holds...

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. wasatch

wasatch

Login to Send PM

small batch cigars has THE best prices on the net and free 2 day shipping. The only cons are that they don't have the large selection that the cigar store titans feature--on the flip side, they sell a lot of stuff that would sell out in a heartbeat if they were listed at CI, Thompson, and so on.

Brands that I recommend (you may have not heard of these):

Caldwell
    Crowned heads
    RoMa Craft
    Illisione
    Viaje

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would approve of a cigar section.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently splurged on a box of Fuente Hemingway Signatures. Great smokes; I've always preferred a corona size, and I'm a sucker for Cameroon wrappers.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Has anyone else picked up one of these single Humi-pack cigars at the convenient stores?

The local AM/PM had these and two others for $5.99 a piece so I had to grab one.

Humidity level was almost spot on and the burn was nice and even.

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bumping this thread again ... as the title says, "let's get this going"!

Recently, I smoked a 5 Vegas AAA Maduro with a friend from work. When I first received these cigars I thought
    they were ok, but nothing to write home about. Well, after about 2 years in my humidor, they transformed
    into smooth, full-bodied, chocolatey wonder-sticks!

This isn't my pic but it is the same cigar:

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. buzkirk

buzkirk

Login to Send PM

I really liked those 5Vagas A's when they came out also the Relic was another good one

Tom

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Has anyone else picked up one of these single Humi-pack cigars at the convenient stores?

The local AM/PM had these and two others for $5.99 a piece so I had to grab one.

Humidity level was almost spot on and the burn was nice and even.

several of the local golf courses I frequent do a brisk business in those single packed Mac's

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I pick up the occasional GTO Dominican at the B&M. I like the Dobal Capas with the barer pole wrap, and sometimes the Painkiller, which puts me to sleep pronto. I never get more than three, but I've been slowly learning that I'm probably not supposed to be smoking them as slow as a pipe, because I can feel the nicotine killing brain cells as I smoke them, like sizzle that I can feel in my brain, ha ha. I won't commit to buying more than just a few at a time though, as I don't have a humidor, and I know I won't smoke them as often as my pipes.

But, I am kicking the end of this night off with a GTO Painkiller, Dominican ligero and corojo. I don't know what those tobaccos are, but I think they are a main ingredient in heroine, ha ha.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  27. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I won't commit to buying more than just a few at a time though, as I don't have a humidor, and I know I won't smoke them as often as my pipes.

Hey Cosmic ... get yourself a tupper-dor set-up so that you can rest a few of those GTO's!
    They require very little fussing and a couple years on your favorite stogie is like 5 years on a tin.

Ligero, btw, is a powerful leaf used for full-body and spiciness ... mmmmmm

Posted 4 years ago #
  28. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With my birthday coming up I decided to dump some more sticks into my humidor. Most of what I have in there is a little over a year old now: Cohiba, Ave Maria, Camacho, Romeo y Julieta. I also have some La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amors and Flor de Las Antillas.

Picked up a five pack of Arturo Fuente 8-5-8's, a couple La Zona Connecticut's, a couple Flor de Las Antillas by My Father, and a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor. An even 10 to add to the humidor.

Have a friend coming over on Saturday who smokes cigars so we'll probably burn a couple of the older ones.

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://kohnhed.com/2013/08/08/cigar-review-alec-bradley-american-sun-grown-blend/

I bought a box of these based on this review and the fact this cigar made the top 25 budget cigars of the year for Cigar aficionado magazine. The review is spot on. Honestly I have a bunch of Montecristo #4's, but I decided to pick up a few boxes which I mentioned earlier in this thread. All I can say is wow. From the first puff I was more than impressed with this cigar and can say it's on par almost with the montecristo in the flavor profile, with some slight differences of course. But all in all you could take a montecristo band and put it on this and unless the person was a total cigar snob, they would think they're smoking a cuban. At about 4$ a stick (not even) I'm really glad I took the plunge and just bought a box without even trying one first. The selection where I'm from is pretty much cubans, and a montecristo #4 is 20$ a piece. Even though I got mine for 4$ each from someone that brought them back from cuba, it's the fact I know what they're worth I just couldn't burn through them. Plus I want those to age along time.

All in all I'd give it a 4 out of 5. The difference is a montecristo #4 builds a bit more towards the end, these stay a bit more uniform, but it's just puff after puff of pure bliss. I would classify it as mild/medium more towards medium. The review in the link is spot on, can't bother to add anything to it, other than damn, these are beauties.

Posted 4 years ago #
  30. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@andrew, what is the flavor profile like on those? I wish I had access to Cubans. Haven't had one in six years.

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Cosmic check at your local B&M if they have old wooden cigar boxes, usually they'll sell them to you, my local sells them for 2$ a piece and donate the money to charity. Just put in a humi pack and you've got yourself a cheap humidor that will properly age your cigars at the same time. I just get a hygrometer at a pet store, they're under 5$ and this way you can be sure you've got the proper humidity. Tumidors and such are good, I use a cooler, but I just keep my cigars in the boxes they come in inside the cooler, so it's no different than a walk in humidor. You want to get that cedar smell though into the cigar which is why a tumidor is okay, but if you really want the benefits of aging, which is a nice cedar flavor along with the other factors, you need the spanish cedar.

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Cmmdr it's really got that cocoa flavor you get in a montecristo, along with some spice, raisins, cedar, some leather, I couldn't really pick up the leather too much. It's mainly that natural cocoa flavor, honestly I'd take one of these for under 5$ over a montecristo anyday. Even if monte's were affordable these would still give them a run for their money. I just remember smoking it and thinking damn, this is pretty much just like a montecristo.

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those sound right up my alley, @andrew.

Posted 4 years ago #
  34. maxpeters

maxpeters

Login to Send PM

I think a cigar forum would be nice. I've never joined one though. I went through the costly trial and error phase years ago. My only problem with cigars is that they became way too pricey. I can't in good conscience enjoy something that cost me $ 5.00 to $10.00 each and every smoke. I can't afford it. And when you get below that, quality is touch and go. Plus the ones above that price level, although good, are too costly for me. I just won't pay that kind of money.
    I don't like to experiment that much anymore. Pisses me off to no end buying a/any cigar and the damn thing won't smoke because it's wrapped too tight. So affordable bundles are pretty much avoided.
    I do like Cubans, but even there I've found some that I didn't care for. My best smoke ever was an H. Upman 5" Corona, but I can't get them regularly of course. And at $13.00 each ( this was about 10 years ago) I wouldn't even if I could afford them.
    When I do buy cigars these days I like Santa Karina Robustos at $1.75 apiece, or Cusanos Toro at about the same price.
    So I usually just stick with my pipes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's my .02. Many of the site sponsors here sell cigars. Instead of having and supporting a separate site, why don't y'all just feel free to start cigar threads??? I mean this one has been going on for a while and I haven't seen Kevin or a mod jump in and issue a cease and desist order.

Now the site isn't advertised to attract cigar smokers per se, but it sounds like enough of the membership is interested in cigars. I haven't stocked my humidor in a while since I have been working on pipe tobacco cellar, but that doesn't mean I don't fire up a stick every now and then.

Posted 4 years ago #
  36. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 yazamitaz. A "What cigar are you smoking" thread similar to the monthly "What are you smoking" thread, with less JimInks posts.

Posted 4 years ago #
  37. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah I agree. A thread or two on here keeps it fresh and is plenty of space for the discussion of cigars.

I enjoy maybe a cigar or two a month during the summer. I dabbled a bit with different brands and types and found I don't like a lot of cigars. I've settled on the Fuente Gran Reserva line. I really enjoyed this one with the pointy head but sadly all thats left is the picture. I like the Rothschilds 4 1/2" length best as I can easily get an hour smoke out of them. At $6-7 a piece they don't break the bank and it doesn't really matter anyway since I smoke so few.

Posted 4 years ago #
  38. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wedding, births, banquets, I'll accept a cigar. I've enjoyed a few. Like Dominicans better than the Cubans I've smoked.
    But three cigars, I can buy a tin or three of pipe tobacco and smoke for a month. I just like a pipe better. But cigars
    are cool too.

Posted 4 years ago #
  39. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 @bentmike, agreed, it is a nice departure from pipes, tins, cellars and the like. I also don't smoke many cigars but have plenty as aging is always a good thing, plus cigars age more efficiently than tins/jars of pipe tobacco do. My sticks are (I believe) reasonably priced, usually in the $4-$8 range.

I experiment with storing them in their cellophane wrapper and out of it. Anyone have their preference for storing wrapped/unwrapped with some experience?

Posted 4 years ago #
  40. maxpeters

maxpeters

Login to Send PM

In my experience, it's better to store them out of the cellophane wrapper if you have the right humidity and location to store them. Not all humidors will do that the way they're supposed to. If not, then keep them in the cellophane. They stay fresh a little longer.

Posted 4 years ago #
  41. maxpeters

maxpeters

Login to Send PM

How would you go about storing THIS cigar?

Posted 4 years ago #
  42. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@maxpeters, that would require a big ass walk-in humidor all by itself. I hope they made that big bastard from reject leaf, what a waste of good stuff.

Posted 4 years ago #
  43. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to mention, we all kind of like each other and with the generosity of this site guys will soon be sending sticks to each other as well as pipes and tobacco.

There you go, problem solved. Glad I could help

Posted 4 years ago #
  44. maxpeters

maxpeters

Login to Send PM

"@maxpeters, that would require a big ass walk-in humidor all by itself. I hope they made that big bastard from reject leaf, what a waste of good stuff."

Well, from what I understand, it sold for $185,000.00. Must be WONDERFUL stuff!

Posted 4 years ago #
  45. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, dumb question- Should I keep my single cigars in the cellophane wrappers they come in, or take them out when I put them in my Tupperdore?

Posted 4 years ago #
  46. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, dumb question- Should I keep my single cigars in the cellophane wrappers they come in, or take them out when I put them in my Tupperdore?

This is like the most hotly debated question in cigar storage. There is no right or wrong answer, it comes down to personal preference. Personally if you're just keeping them in a tumidor, then I would leave them on, as there's no cedar from the tupperware to scent the cigars. Personally I take mine out of the cellophane then put the cigars back into the cedar box the cigars came in inside my cooler. The cellophane does slow the aging process. But unless you've got some kind of cedar lining happening, it really isn't going to make much difference imo. The cellophane will protect the cigars. Alot of people leave them in even with a humidor, it's more if you're going to do some long term aging you take them out, which I plan on doing. But do some searching and you'll find it's a pretty hotly contested issue. The cellophane does breathe so it's not cutting off the air altogether. I do keep the cellophane wrappers though so I can put it back on the cigar when if I'm taking it out somewhere.

Posted 4 years ago #
  47. jimbo69

jimbo69

Login to Send PM

My personal experience says to leave the cello on. Having had a tupperdor full of (admittedly yard 'gars) and a few wrapped ones develop beetles, the wrapped ones survived. I pretty much use boveda's in everything now (ugh, 15 humidors is a pain... I need to downsize!!!)

Cellophane is not air or water vapor tight - it lets both in. I've got quite a few aged sticks that the cello has yellowed and become fragile and are still quite tasty (the gars, not the cello).

Posted 4 years ago #
  48. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In case anyone hasn't tried it, Boveda packs can be recharged. I've taken a dried out pack (hardened) and stuck it in a ziplock bag with a sponge soaked in distilled water. After a couple weeks that Boveda pack is back to soft and squishy. Put back into the hunidor it holds the same RH as it did before. I have a rotation of three Boveda packs, works like a charm.

Posted 4 years ago #
  49. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well ... glad I bumped this thread!

Andrew: Those Alec Bradley Sun Growns are amazing ... They could easily bump my Ashton VSG's out of
    rotation at that price point!

The "cellophane debate" is a usual one ... I remove mine prior to resting in the tupperdor.

Jimbo: If you get beetles, then you're storing them too warm / moist. Keep it at about 70°F for temp
    and no more than %72 humidity ... I like mine more around 68%.

Thanks for keeping this going guys!

Posted 4 years ago #
  50. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My only issue with removing the cello is ending up with damage to the wrapper, so I usually leave them on. The cigars my wife smokes come without and ever so often one develops a crack in the wrapper.

One good thing to get is a glue called El Ligador. Its the same glue they use when rolling cigars and a tiny bottle lasts for a long while. I cannot tell you how many cigars I have saved because of this little bottle of glue. It pays for itself time and again.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  51. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes,those AB sungrowns are quite tasty.

Posted 4 years ago #
  52. jimbo69

jimbo69

Login to Send PM

Yeah Cob, I was just relating my early experiences with storage. I was using beads in the tupperdors and while had the right humidity with the gauges I had, didn't exchange air enough I think.

Anyways, back to cello on or off, was just making the point that cello on saved about 10 sticks out of that pinhole infested mess of yard cigars.

It's also saved a few cigars from my being overzealous with the PG solution and the bricks... cello wipes off nicely

Posted 4 years ago #
  53. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

... overzealous with the PG solution and the bricks

Lol ... I here ya!

If I were to upgrade to a "Coolidor", where I could store whole boxes at a time, I would leave the cello on
    with the sticks in the original boxes. Maybe someday ...

Posted 4 years ago #
  54. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well thanks to this thread I cheated on my pipes last night and smoked a victory cigar after my cycling event. It was a Perdomo ESV Maduro churchill which was accompanied by some Makers Mark and the fire pit. Perfect ending to a great weekend.

Posted 4 years ago #
  55. crusher47

crusher47

Login to Send PM

Cigar smoker here.... favorites are Fuente Hemmingway, Punch, Romeo & Julieta, Sancho Panza and pretty much anything from Drew Estate (Kuba Kuba & Blondies at the top of the list)

Posted 4 years ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

smoke some cheap stuff every night (like ones that taste like expensive brands & are about $2.00 a stick or less) & always have a box of La Gloria's for weekends.

Posted 4 years ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

smoke some cheap stuff every night (like ones that taste like expensive brands & are about $2.00 a stick or less) & always have a box of La Gloria's for weekends.

Posted 4 years ago #
  58. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm firing this baby up now. I've been told it's not nearly as strong as the GTO Painkillers, but... I'll give it a whirl anyways.
     photo 2362CDB0-CC14-47BF-8E85-1EFC57AD27D5_zpse8a6zcfx.jpg

Posted 4 years ago #
  59. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Careful with that stogie Cosmic ... about 1/2 way through, the whole cigar
    goes "POOF" and disappears in a cloud of thick, creamy smoke!

Let us know what you think of this one ... I like the Brazilian wrappers.

Posted 4 years ago #
  60. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was delicious. Strong, but not harsh. Chocolate-y, but not sweet. Paired well with a peach juice and a splash of lime. I'd smoke another, but I was hoping for a little more strength. I can still walk across the room, ha ha. I may have to take a break from these stronger smokes, to get my tolerance back down, so that I can enjoy these more, ha ha.

Posted 4 years ago #
  61. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice ... thanks for the feedback!

Posted 4 years ago #
  62. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weird, there was a deal on Gurkhas in my email this morning from JR cigars. Some is watching this thread I think. And thanks!! Ha ha!

Posted 4 years ago #
  63. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is there a site for cigar reviews like tobaccoreviews.com? It would be nice to know what flavors and strength to expect and whether one is known for not burning even and such.

Posted 4 years ago #
  64. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a few, though they don't seem to have the same format as tobacco reviews. Cigarsinspector.com and famous-smoke.com are placed I go ... Or ask MetalheadYcigarguy.

Posted 4 years ago #
  65. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is there a site for cigar reviews

I usually agree with the reviews from Bryan Glynn and most of his reviews are available online
    at CigarObsession.com

There are both written and video reviews of many, many cigars. The site also does an annual "Top 25".

Posted 4 years ago #
  66. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weird, there was a deal on Gurkhas in my email this morning from JR cigars

Gurkha's go on sale all the time. Alot of people don't like them much in the cigar world too much I notice, it's because they don't grow any of their own tobacco or anything. The normal prices are also ridiculous, like it'll be regular price 350$ for a box then they're on sale for 79$. So basically I wouldn't get to trigger happy over gurkha's. It also pays to shop around, like here they're 79$ for a box of 20 at cigarplace http://www.cigarplace.biz/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/46755/brandid/1972

Then at cigars international their 80$ for a 5 pack
    http://www.cigarsinternational.com/samplers/65984/gurkha-black-dragon-fury-gran-torpedo-5-pack/

I just got a box of berger&argenti entubar crv double corona's for 70$ at cigarplace about 2 weeks ago on a warehouse clearance sale , they're going for around 200$ everywhere else. They smell fantastic. Personally I like cigarplace, they have a really nice selection and very nice shipping internationally as well. Also Atlantic cigars has some crazy good prices on some cigars, like the Oliva O Churchill's there are 80$ a box and they're about 120$ everywhere else.
    http://www.atlanticcigar.com/cigars/oliva-serie-o.asp

Atlantic is another great international shipping company.

I've learned with cigars it really pays to shop around, like you'll find huge price differences.

Posted 4 years ago #
  67. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've learned with cigars it really pays to shop around

+10 Andrew ... and cigarplace.com is a good one.

Also, there are sites where you can bid on lots and save a bundle:

http://www.cigarbid.com/ and http://www.cigarmonster.com/

Posted 4 years ago #
  68. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chocolate stick for dinner tonight:

Posted 4 years ago #
  69. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Today being my birthday I think while I'm doing some woodworking outside I may break out one of my Romeo y Julieta Reserve Churchills while I'm cutting away.

Posted 4 years ago #
  70. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been smoking the Sosa's today. I must say that i am suprised, as my expectatios were low.

Posted 4 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sholto, ben88, jiminks, elbert, milehighpiper, pipestud, tuold, jaytex969, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, rodo, danimalia, jfred, gandalfspipe, crawdad, oldgeezersmoker, cshubhra, ormazd