PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigarmaverick

Lurker
Jul 24, 2019
Howdy!

I was recently gifted a Pipe and decided to give it a try. I watched a LOT of videos and bought a couple accessories. I decided to start with a couple aromatics as that seemed to be where folks start. My initial order was some Lane Limited 1-Q, some Lane Limited RLP-6 & H. Sutliff Mixture No. 79. While these were great smelling tobaccos, I didn't get a lot of flavor while smoking them. Was wondering about trying some English blends or maybe some fuller bodied aromatics? After some forum searching, I found a short list of English that folks seem to like.
MATCH Early Morning Pipe

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader

Peter Stokkebye PS17 English Luxury

Northwoods from Boswell

G. L. Pease - Chelsea Morning (Old London Series)

Match - Dunhill - Nightcap

Peter Stokkebye 306 English Oriental Supreme

Hearth & Home Signature Larry's Blend

Mcclelland 5110 Dark English Full

MATCH Dunhill 965
Thoughts? I think I'd be up to buying 2-3 more tobaccos to try. Maybe one or two fuller bodied aromatics? Normally I gravitate to medium bodied cigars. I don't need the pipe tobacco to taste exactly like cigar tobacco, but I'd like some flavor nonetheless.
Thanks in advance,

Russ

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Welcome! I'm sure others will have input borne from more experience than I have. I'll mention that there are a number of pipe tobacco blends that contain cigar leaf (I'm fond of HU Nyala). At Tobacco Reviews dot Com you can choose contents and any number of other attributes. Many forum members here actively contribute to that resource.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's how I got started, now I much prefer the pipe, cigars are a rare treat. Most people expect to taste more out of aromatics when they first get started. Eventually you will, but right out of the gate people often expect them to taste how they smell which certainly wasn't the case for me. Most people coming from the cigar world (as I did) also find pipe tobacco quite mild at first. It takes some getting used to.
Some of the blends you listed are going to be tougher to find (squad leader, mclelland, etc.)
If you want to try english/balkan blends I'd recommend starting with Some Arango Balkan Supreme for a good cheap bulk, and a tin each of some G.L. Pease Maltese falcon and Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding.
All of these will be easy to find, and to me are great examples of what english blends can be. SPC PP is the one that got me hooked on English blends.
You could also branch out and try some other stuff, virginias or virginia/periques, burley, dark fired, etc. You may be attracted to blends that contain cigar leaf, but be forewarned they are not going to taste like a cigar, as the cigar leaf is most often used as a condiment tobacco to compliment the rest of the blend. Just get that comparison out of your head, pipe smoking is a completely different type of tobacco experience.
In addition, when tobacco shopping, check out blend reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, particularly those by forum member and full blown tobacco guru JimInks. His reviews will give you a great summary of what you are looking to buy, and he has reviewed every tobacco on this planet (and maybe others).
Welcome to the forum. :puffy:

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I also was primarily a cigar guy for the last 20 years, who smoked a pipe now and then. Switched to pipes primarily about 2 years ago. I agree with AlaskaPiper that they are two completely different beasts. You will not find a pipe tobacco that gives you the same smoking experience/flavor/intensity as a cigar.

Smoking a pipe is just a different experience, with a different taste and feel. Although it is true with a cigar as well, to really experience the pipe tobacco, it needs to be sipped and not over-heated as you smoke. A cigar is more forgiving on that end, but the same principle applies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
A great aromatic is Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake. The room note is fantastic, and the underlying VaBur flake would be great without the topping.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard from Detroit!
I used to smoke a lot of cigars. Now, I'm strictly a piper. And find it to be much more enjoyable.
Good luck enjoying your new samples! In time, you'll know which ones are your go to styles.

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
I'm another cigar guy that is a recent pipe convert. I look at my 600 or so sticks in the humidor, and for the price I could have filled my house with pipe tobacco.
Filled.
Plus, I can now smoke inside, the wife likes pipe tobacco...
Welcome to the rabbit hole. PM me an address and I'll put a sampler together for you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Buy small quantities to sample for a while, and don't discard the ones that you don't immediately like. Your tastes will develop. A few suggestions. For a mild and refined English blend that includes burley, try Nat Sherman 536. For a mild burley aromatic try Edward G. Robinson. For a Virginia/Perique try Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Shop a lot and buy just small selections -- one tin, one or two ounces bulk, pouches of over-the-counter blends. Take your time. Enjoy it. Don't overachieve by trying too much too soon.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd suggest trying cigar leaf blends. They're not quite like people think they are. They're certainly their own breed of thing. However I think they're a great cross off point for the cigar smoker looking into pipes. Oddly not a lot of people talk about these blends. And frankly they're one of my main types of pipe blends. Based on what you said I would not be surprised if you loved GL Pease Key Largo.

Status
Not open for further replies.