PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I tried to search for this before I posted it but could not find a current thread...

I got some vouchers for a tobacconist here in New Zealand, and they have no pipe tobacco I am interested in. They do, however have a large selection of cigars (that I know nothing about). I am looking for recommendations of cigars that a pipe smoker might enjoy.
As reference I like 5100, FM orig, pease westminster, bobs choc flake, rlp6, ODF, plumcake, skiff mix, LTF, grousemoor
A cigar has been too much tobacco in one sitting for me in the past, is there any reason not to chop an inch off at a time to drop in a small chambered pipe? IS the rest of the cigar going to keep fine if it is resealed in a jar?

Also I am assuming you could get a pretty strong ghost off a cigar???
thanks!

Isaac

dieseltech

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2010
Cigar would really ghost a briar. I do like a lot of pipe tobacco that you do. if you want a smoke that won't take a long time try a punch London club. It's like 4 x 38. It's a good cigar for 20-30min. Others i would recommend anything made by punch (Dominican not Cuban) Oliva O series and Oliva V series. acid liquid and Drew Estate Undercrown. Good luck and happy smoking

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I am a cigar novice but had several experienced people recommend this one to me: Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story. You will like it because it is a lot smaller then most cigars, but is very good. I too find cigars to be way overkill for what I want to smoke, but this one is fine- like a 30 min. smoke. Google it, you will find lots of good reviews...

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Rocky Patel - Vintage 1990/92 box pressed maduro

romeo y julieta toro

Oliva Master Blend 3 Robusto Nicaraguan
These are three I keep in my Humidor

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here's a few I've tried and enjoy:
Padron 1964

Ashton VSG (Virgin Sun Grown)

Carlos Toraño Exodus 1959

Sancho Panza Double Maduro

La Gloria Cubana Wavell

Cohiba Red Dot

Macanudo Maduro

Partagas Black Label

Alec Bradley American Sun Grown

CAO MX2

Diesel Unlimited Maduro
As for ring gauges ... 46 to 52 is a nice ratio of filler to wrapper.

Good luck and let us know what you get! :puffy:

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
To cigar aficionados this may not sound kosher but I use to enjoy backwoods cigars. From time to time thought it might work in a pinch to snip an inch or so and load it in a pipe. I have not found myself in that situation yet though. I understand you guys in NZ don't have our selection of pipe tobacco we do in the states.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
A Fuente, anything in the Hemingway line but especially the work of art maduro

A Fuente Rothschild maduro

Macanudo crystal cafe

Olivia O series

Pardon 1964

Monte cristo white label

Monte cristo #2

H. Upmann vintage Cameroon

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
A cigar has been too much tobacco in one sitting for me in the past, is there any reason not to chop an inch off at a time to drop in a small chambered pipe?
Well it's heresy for one. I would second la gloria cubana wavells or the petite naturals

laglor_pet_nat.jpg

Same blend of tobacco just different sizes. I would recommend trying some cigars in the mild/medium range in a small size. It's about the same idea as putting a cigarette in a pipe and smoking it. Cigars are made that way for a reason. You're paying alot of money for them to be rolled, so chopping it up and smoking it in a pipe seems like a waste. The petite naturals will give you a nice 20 minute smoke and it's a really nice one at that.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
New Zealand doesn't have any trade restrictions with Cuba AFAIK... Cuban Partagas and Montecristos are very nice, provided that you treat them with proper respect instead of hacking them into pipe tobacco :).

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, i will compile a list...And i will be eyeing up the smaller cigars, rather than committing heresy!

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I haven't seen anyone chop up a cigar to smoke in a pipe, but I have seen guys use a corn cob pipe with the right chamber diameter to smoke the nub when it gets too short to hold in hand...

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Enjoy a cigar as a cigar and a pipe as a pipe. They have little more in common than a cigarette has with chewing tobacco. Or maybe wine has in common with good craft beers.
Padron Londre's are relatively inexpensive and good out of the box - superb if aged a year. You can get a box for around $100. Bur really, there is no such thing as a poor Padron.
Many would vote for the over-priced Opux X as one of world's best cigars. They're good but not $25 plus a stick good. The Padron 1964, imo, is worth every penny of the $20 or so you'll pay for one. And they don't blow up like the Opus x occasionally does.
Over the holidays, I smoked both the Oliva Serie V Melanio Figurado and the E.P. Carrillo La Historia E-III, respectively Cigar Aficionado's Number 1 and 2 cigar of the Year for 2014. They were both excellent, costing less than $12 a stick.
Generally, if you're spending $10 a stick, give or take a couple of bucks, you're getting a good, quality cigar. Whether you'll like a particular smoke or not can't be answered until you try it.
Have fun trying!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The Padron 1964, imo, is worth every penny of the $20 or so you'll pay for one.
The first stick on my list! :worship:

I forgot about the Londres ... also very good!
These are in the mail right now and I can't wait to try them:
cs-j2h.jpg

Anyone already try one of these?

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Although the padron 64 is an outstanding cigar, it may be a bit advanced for a newcomer. Start with a regular padron. You will not be disappointed, nor will you be overwhelmed.

Perdomo has some wonderful and affordable offerings as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.