PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Hey all. So I just tried Habana Daydream. It was the first time I've ever had a cigar leaf blend. I really enjoyed it. When I switched to pipes from cigars I found that I liked the versatility of all the tobacco blend types better than cigars, but this was a nice return to where I came from. I can imagine some kind of cigar blend making it into my rotation.
Do any of you like cigar leaf blends? What is your favorite?

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Here's my favorite, although Peases' Key Largo is my number two. The Wilke blend adds a bit of sweetness with the Black Cavendish, but it is a bit expensive at $73 per pound. Key Largo is a FULL tobacco with a more reasonable price tag.
Wilke Churchill

Hearth and Home’s Virginia Spice is a VaPer with an added cigar leaf to give it a heavier smoke feel, plus a little spice. It’s a very creative use of the leaf in a blend. Key Largo is my beach or poolside favorite in the summer. But, sometimes I will add some sliced madura cigars to an aromatic to buff it up a little.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
1. McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro (my all time favorite cigar leaf blend, I have 2 unopened tins left)

2. G.L. Pease Key Largo (deeply cellared)

3. G.L. Pease Robusto

4. BriarWorks International Country Lawyer (good blend, this one approaches a real cigar flavor)

5. PGC Hajenius Cigar Malt (Germany, rare, if ever in Germany grab some)

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
D&R Don Giovanni Sigaro is a very good cigar blend.

It is shipped a bit dry, just add a little moisture and you are good to go.

jiminks gave it 4 stars that says a lot.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Robert Lewis 123 Mixture would be my #1 pick.
Also, I agree with Pipestud. Rob McConnell Pure Havana (the older tins) is great for using in home blending and tweeking Virginias and Latakia mixtures.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Billy Budd. Since I have many blends available, my choices are more than a rotation, but I always look forward to Billy Budd. Also, you can order condimental cigar leaf from various blenders (from C&D when you order Billy Budd for example) and use the cigar leaf as a supplement to other blends, especially when finishing off a jar, tin, tub or pouch, to see how it harmonizes. I always remind people this has nothing to do with duplicating a cigar smoking experience. A good cigar is a beautiful thing and can't be duplicated in a pipe, yet I prefer the pipe experience over all. I'd like to try some other good cigar leaf blends; Key Largo seems generally well-liked.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Oriental Dusk, which is a John Patton blend from 4noggins is a blend that I really enjoy. I’d never heard of it until Saltedplug made me aware of it. Very deep, rich, chocolatey oriental forward cigar leaf blend.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
It's not very heavy on cigar leaf but I like HU Nyala a lot. The cigar is there but doesn't overwhelm.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Strangely I haven't had many cigar leaf blends and I've created more than I've smoked, but I did also enjoy Mad Fiddler Flake and I think it will age beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.