PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Didn't want to hijack thesmokingtexan's thread on his nice antique pipe cabinet but thought I would post a pic of my point of purchase cigar cabinet. I collect gaming, gambling, billiard, tobacco & saloon furniture & fixtures. This is a commercial point of sale cigar cabinet from approx 1860 - 1880 by the Brunswick-Balke-Collendar Co. It came out of an old billiard hall. It has 3 doors with the doors on the outside opening outward. If you look closely you can see that all 3 doors lock with a skeleton key. The center section was used for display of cigars sold individually or by the box. There are many more shelves than being shown and each shelf can be set up to display product at an angle. The two side doors then have level shelves spaced just wide enough for a box of cigars and the shelves continue down below the lower door panels. As you can see my wife has repurposed this cigar cabinet as her China cabinet. I do store some tobaccos behind the lower door panels. We love unique furniture like this!
IMG%5D

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks all. I bought it along with other stuff from an old pool room that had been closed for a long time. It can be seen in the early Brunswick-Balle-Collender catalogs from that era that have been reproduced. It has all the original glass but I had to do some work to the big door frame which was badly warped, then strip & refinish the whole thing.
I have another cigar showcase from the 1920's that has a brass trough inside to recirculate water thru it to humidify the case. It came out of a private, members only men's club.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks! At today's prices she can probably fill it with her China cheaper than I could with cigars!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Where's the ... where's the cigars? I saw the post title and I was promised cigars. Yet I clicked on it and there were no cigars. I am looking at plates, which would be fine if they had cigars painted on them, but I just see painted strawberries ... and no cigars.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
When I first brought it home my wife took one look at it and said it had China hutch written all over it. I knew then I had lost the battle and could only live to fight another day!

Status
Not open for further replies.