PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Im interested in trying some blends that have a cigar taste. I know I saw a post a couple of months ago but I couldn't find the post. Any recommendations?

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
John Patton's ORIENTAL DUSK. This is a fantastic blend with some cigar leaf in it. I have tried it and really loved the taste and how it smoked.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
Cornell and Diehl make two blends with cigar leaf in them that I always have on hand Billy Budd and Habana Daydream. They also offer a tinned blend called purple cow. It tastes just like Billy Budd to me.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
It's funny but as much as I like pipes and cigars, I have yet to find a cigar leaf blend that works for me. For some reason cigar leaf in my pipes comes across as harsh and unpleasant.
Purple Cow was ok, I actually liked it quite a bit at first but after several bowls I found is less and less enjoyable.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I really enjoy the ocassional bowl of Billy Budd. It's a strong nic hit for me, but it's tasy. Definitely bold-besides the the generous cigar leaf it has plenty of latakia.

newcastle

Lurker
Jul 16, 2013
H&H Strikeforce is the only blend I have tried with cigar leaf in it. I was not aware it had cigar leaf in it when I ordered, and probably wouldn't have picked it had I known (not really into cigars). But I really enjoyed it and am glad I got 8oz of it.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks for the input and sorry bout the double post. I was getting error messages last night when I tried to post.

I,ll give those blends a try. Actually after I posted this I remembered that I had some Robert McConnell,s Scottish flake which is supposed to have cigar leaf in it. I tried it and it is good. You do have to use your imagination to get the cigar taste as it only comes through very subdued.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I first started on the pipe coming from cigars, I did search out cigar blends and found that GL Pease Robusto was my favorite. I no longer smoke those types of blends but you may want to give it a shot, it is a high quality blend and Greg guarantees that the cigar leaf he uses if from the famous discontinued Davidoff Dom Perignon Cuban cigars from the 80's. lol

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Ok, I got two tins to try. Robusto and purple cow. I cracked the robusto. It is very tasty for the first half bowl then turns ashy and bitter. I smoked it in a cob and hesitate to put it int a briar because it left a astringent taste in my pipe. I havevrediscovered the Robert mconnells I had in my cellar and it is delicious. I'm smoking some now actually.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I solid blend that reminds me of a stout cigar is the MacBaren HH Acadian Perique. There is not cigar leaf involved in the blend, but the natural tobacco flavour reminds me of a nice cuban cigar.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
All great choices. The Peretti No. 500 is not mentioned much. It's definitely a favourite of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.