PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Man, there has been a lot of posts lately of some just beautiful pipes of all shapes,sizes,finishes. My question is where are all the churchwardens? I look at the posts of everyone's pipe racks/collections (some of you guys really need to seek help) and maybe I'll see a warden or two here and there but over all they don't seem to be all to popular. I have to satisfy my PAD VERY soon and I wanted to do that with my first churchwarden but now I'm not so sure?
John

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Church wardens are great; don't be discouraged. The reason you probably don't see too many in rack photos is because they don't fit on racks. :lol: Definitely the coolest smoke I've ever had, just be careful to not let that fool you and get the bowl going too hot.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The next churchwarden I get will have to have a regular sized bowl.
I got a nice Peterson Racing Green Churchwarden but the bowl is really small and it gets really hot.
I still love to smoke it though. :)

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Rothnh your probably right the reason i havent bought one is i cant find one that fits well with my pipes now im kind of anal like that lol i like dark sandblast or rusticated pipes with straight stems so billiard, lovat, canadian etc.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
You could always purchase a pipe that you really like and simply switch out the stem for a Churchwarden Stem.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
The Mr. Brog #14 churchwarden seems to be fairly popular, at least I've seen them mentioned quite a few times on this forum. It was my first non-corn cob pipe, so it took a bit of abuse. It's a good smoker and I use it mostly to smoke flake.
And, teufelhund is right, they don't fit on racks very well :)

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Thanks for the info everyone, been looking at this Nording for awhile now.

NordingGroup2OrangeGrainFreehandChurchwardenPipeNoOG22.jpg

$96

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
One of my best purchases ever was a forever stem and a bag of Missouri seconds, gave mr a few church wardens to choose from :) and when I felt like not sitting down, I always had the original stem. Of course it's not goin I beat the class of that birding though, very nice pipe :)

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have 3 churchwardens and I like them and, they all smoke well. The two are Savinelli rusticated and the other is a smaller Bjarne. All are sub $100 as well.
2013-06-12184851.jpg

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I recently got that when PandC had their sale on Bjarne. Whats funny is if you look close enough the stem is not centered.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I find the clay churchwardens appealing because of their history, but I've never bought one.

They're too long for my tastes.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have a few, but I agree with Roth; they are pretty unwieldy. I also think they can be out of balance, so I don't reach for them very often. I also had a hard time fitting them into a rack, so I had Two Cousins make me a churchwarden rack.

I also agree that they're currently a fad thanks to the hobbit movies. On one hand I think that's a good thing, as it may bring new guys to the hobby. But on the other hand, some of those guys are poseurs who only smoke a churchwarden because it's something they saw in a movie. To me, guys who pick up a pipe as an affectation or a prop are not "real" pipe guys.
Here's another opinion... I don't agree that churchwardens necessarily smoke "cooler". First of all, there's no agreement on what "cool smoker" means. To some, "cooler" means a cooler bowl (which is generally a factor of the smoker's skill and experience, not of the pipe). And since a stronger suction is needed to draw from a longer stem, it can be argued that the stronger suction will produce a HOTTER smoke.
To others, "cooler" means the smoke is actually a lower temperature. The claim has been made that, since the smoke travels a few more inches to your tongue, it has had a chance to cool slightly. The problem with that logic is if true, then nosewarmers should be noticeably hotter than a standard length pipe. And they're not.
And regardless, until we can agree on what we all mean by a "cool smoke", the claim is meaningless.
But don't get me wrong; they're fun pipes and can be quite beautiful. I just can't ascribe near-mythic qualities to them.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Ill agree with the not always smoking cooler, but as far as poseurs to each his own. If people like it great if they dont stick with it oh well.
Actually I like using mine in the car because I can just hold it with my arm sitting on the window and not have to keep moving the pipe in front of my face as im driving. I call it comfortable you might call it lazy.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I love my two wardens. Smoking mechanics are slightly different. My big Trypis is great for club night pipes, because I can sit in a wing-back chair and just puff away (+ the stem makes a handy pointer for when I need to punctuate a point I'm making). The little Blatter mini-warden is a fantastic bowl for trying out new tobaccos, and for quick smokes.
They're a different animal, but I enjoy them very much.
-- Pat
Blatter Mini Warden

Trypis Rusticated Warden

Status
Not open for further replies.