PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
Hey guys was just looking for a little advice on churchwarden pipes. I have never smoked one before or even anything close to the length of these pipes and was wondering if you guys had any that you would recommend or had any advice for me?? I do not really know much about these pipes but i am very interested in getting one. Do you guys like them??

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love mine.

Some smoke them when wandering about the house.

Me, I prefer to have an adult beverage and contemplate the ember.
The bowls are usually a little on the smallish size and by their nature are for being comfortable and quiet.

Because the bowls tend to be smaller than your average pipe (for the most part) just smoke them slow.

I also find that a good Virginia like G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight or Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd are particularly nice in them... Then again a good English Blend can be a good choice as well.

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
Thanks Lawrence, I might just have to do some shopping around till I find one that I really like and just go for it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
No problem Ck.

Here's a hint.

3 of my 4 churchwardens are "basket" pipes.

I don't think I paid more than $20 for any of them.

Then I sent them off to have long stems made for them.

At that time 20+ years ago it cost about $20 each for the stems.

I was drooling over a Dunhill Churchwarden back then ($600).

To tell you the truth... I think I'm much happier with the route I went.
My fourth churchwarden is a MM Cobwarden... and one of my favorite pipes.

Here are the three basket-wardens.

DSCF2135.jpg

DSCF2139.jpg

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I'm quite fond of my Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen II. The bowl is slightly larger than normal size and it comes with two stems so you have a choice. It is a great smoker.
5014033366_d0f1bf0e97_z.jpg

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
I'm quite fond of my Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen II. The bowl is slightly larger than normal size and it comes with two stems so you have a choice. It is a great smoker.
wo-houuu... what a baby :) so nice :P

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Two Petersons and a brebbia Lectura in my stable. The Brebbia has a nice curved stem and a smallish bowl, but it.s a very good smoker. The Petes are a little bigger, but much more expensive these days.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
keeper: Cool! That is the smooth version. I compared both version in the BMA when buying it but the rusticated one just felt nicer in my hands.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I like them I have a Peterson, a SMS, a Vauen with 2 stems (long & short and an Unclearther Acorn. however chirchwardens are best for sitting and reading or watching a good movie.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
to restem my basket pipe that i have. im new to this but I can tell by those beautiful pictures of your pipes I cant afford them. Very exquisite work by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.