PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have three of Vauen's Auenland churchwardens that have fallen from use just due to their size being impractical.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have three or four different churchwardens and I probably smoke less than six bowls a year out of all of them combined. I’m not knocking them, it’s just as Ashdigger and Embers said, they are kind of long and cumbersome for daily smoking. YMMV.

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have only one. It’s fine from time to time; however, seems to gurgle a lot - perhaps from the longer stem creating more condensation. Nothing a cleaner won’t take care of a couple of times throughout the smoke.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Same story here basically. I have a couple of them that I felt drawn to early on, but haven't smoked them in a long time. Primarily because I clench nearly 100% of the time now...so not only the CW's, but also a couple of heavier sitters I have don't get much use anymore.
Coming from cigar smoking, it took quite a while for me to finally settle into a proper cadence and technique, but once I did it greatly altered the size, shape and weight of pipe I desired...which was something I didn't give enough thought to prior to that.

Jan 8, 2013
They're nice on occasion. Best use is when you're relaxing and watching a movie or reading a good book. I love mine, but like others have posted, I don't use them very often. And I do most of my smoking sitting down anyway. It must also be mentioned that churchwarden use causes one to grow a very long white beard, and an urge to wear a tall, pointed, grey hat.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
They seem silly to me, impractical. My friend made a pipe for me that has 2 stems, a nose warmer and a churchwarden. I've never used the churchwarden stem. They seem more like display pieces, or the pipe that some basement dwelling neck-beard smokes while waiting for his mom to pick him up at the comic-con.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
The name says it all. I love mine. Smoke them at least once or even twice a week. Impractical when you have to move about a lot or when driving, but when sitting about on the back porch, I love it. Keeps the smoke directly out of your face and I think they're really awesome looking to smoke. I say not yes, but hell yes. There's just something about feeling like a wizard that gets to me. I blame Tolkien.

Reactions: odobenus

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have a Savinelli Clark's Favorite which is almost 8" in length, just short of a churchwarden. I smoked it often when I first purchased it because at the time I only had two pipes. Now I have about a dozen pipes and seldom smoke it. It's close enough to a churchwarden to meet my churchwarden need.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I have quite a few different kinds of pipes. I’ll smoke whichever one fits the occasion. Sometimes it’s a churcwarden. I like them but it’s not one to use while working in the shop, driving, fishing, or such. More of a sit by the fire while the wife reads a good book to me.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
A friend borrowed me one a couple of months ago, but I haven't gotten around to smoke it. The mouthpiece is round and I don't like that. I always clench, also when I'm sitting down, and I don't think they are very good for that.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Have a Stanwell HCA, never used the Churchwarden stem as I mostly clench. I also have a Cobbit Shire that I consider a mini-Churchwarden & use it frequently. It’s easy to clench IMHO.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They've always had kind of a charm to me, but I don't think I'd ever get one. I don't really clench, but I don't think they'd suit how I enjoy a pipe.
The answer is: your experience may differ and it might work for you.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have several, most are cob churchwardens with Forever churchwarden stems. I'm getting a MacQueen White Wizard churchwarden for Christmas and am looking forward to smoking it Christmas morning. Churchwardens are not always my everyday smoke but they are great to smoke when I'm watching TV.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have six churchwardens. Three of them are smoked probably once or twice a month depending on my mood. One is a Savinelli, one is a Servi meerschaum and one is a Cobbit Shire. I also had a Cobbit Dwarf but found out you can't forget that you've stuck it in your backpocket and sit down.
The other pipes I consider churchwardens are display pieces and that's what they were bought to be. I have smoked them, but prefer them sitting in the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.