PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
There was a topic the other day concerning churchwardens, and I recently purchased a Savinelli 320. It is not a churchwarden of course. But looking at it, I thought, this shape would make a great churchwarden... why doesn't Savinelli offer one in this shape? So I was wondering, I know there are some guys out there that do great stem work and repairs. So If I wanted to have a nice flush fit churchwarden length stem made for a Savinelli 320, is there someone who would do that? And who would I send it to?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My guess would be Stem and Briar, or Walker Pipe Repair. George Dibos may take the job too.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Walker Pipe, Stem and Briar or Briarville
http://walkerpiperepair.com/html/pipe_restoration.html
http://www.stemandbriar.com/sales
http://briarville.com/

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks all. I'm seriously thinking about having this done. I'm just not sure if I want to do it for the one 320 I have, or wait until I get another one.

Jan 8, 2013
You can always switch stems back also,
Exactly! Other pipe makers have done just that. Rattray's The Bagpiper and Stanwell's Hans Christian Anderson pipes come with a standard and churchwarden stem. It would be nice to change to a long stem when relaxing with a book or a movie.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Anthony ---
A tapered churchwarden stem for a thick-shanked pipe like a 320 would definitely fall into the "special project" category. Really long, thick taper stems are hardly ever seen for a reason. They must be cut from rod stock somewhat larger in diameter than the shank and reduced in diameter smoothly over their entire length. Just drilling a centered 9" or 10" airway is difficult, and cutting a tenon on a "pipe sized" lathe whose spindle I.D. isn't large enough to accommodate the O.D. of the rod stock wouldn't be possible without additional tooling that most pipe makers and repairmen don't have.
Also, making "swappable" stems is a VERY fussy business. If their tenons are not identical in diameter and uniformity to a thousandth of an inch or less, they won't "swap" without problems. One or the other will always be too loose or too tight. That level of precision isn't standard in the pipe fix biz.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Also, making "swappable" stems is a VERY fussy business. If their tenons are not identical in diameter and uniformity to a thousandth of an inch or less, they won't "swap" without problems. One or the other will always be too loose or too tight. That level of precision isn't standard in the pipe fix biz.
I forgot to add that's why though swappable stems as a CONCEPT aren't uncommon---multiple length stems were a regular feature of many Edwardian-era companion sets, for example---they are almost always MILITARY-style stems. (conical fit instead of cylindrical fit) Much easier to get right.

Dec 28, 2015
The interchangeable churchwarden stem for my Stanwell HCA got stuck on it the first time I put it on. Had to put it in the freezer to get it off. Finally sanded down the stem to make it work.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You'll poke your eye out, kid!

images

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm delighted the churchwarden continues to collect pipers at what seems like an accelerated pace. (Or should that be lunt?) I am getting a Peterson gray D-17, praying that the translucent finish like so many from A number of companies doesn't shed itself. But it has a trip across the water to get to my door. What makes this pipe special--if the finish doesn't bubble off--is the manner by which the unique transparent stain seems to allow the Briar grain to glow like a glazed Dutch oil painting. A photo just can't capture the effect, you actually have to see it. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Certainly worth a try. You can always keep the regular stem in case the experiment isn't satisfactory. My theory would be that a 320 is pretty heavy for a pipe of that size. If you put it on the end of a long stem, the leverage could be pretty strong. Now you don't run around with a churchwarden clenched in your teeth, it's true. But you do have to hold it in your teeth while you light and tamp, or shift positions, or turn a page or whatever. It might be just more heavy enough to make it less appealing than other churchwardens of more average weight-for-size. Depends on how sturdy your teeth and jaw may be too. Keep the regular stem on hand, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.