PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
Is there any functional reason for such a long stem? Or is it simply to look cool? (which they definitely do, IMHO)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Functional? They're wonderfully natural to hold while reading in a proper chair (one with arms). That's about it.
Look cool? The best ones absolutely do. 8)

Look cool, and there's just something different about the way you smoke something that you have to hold in your hand, as opposed to my normal clenching style. Some may think they smoke cooler, because of the long stem, but at the speed the smoke moves through the stem, there really is no difference outside of mental perception. IMO.
Plus, you can point with the stem with more authority when pinpointing sinners in church. :puffy:

May 31, 2012
fqomjis.png

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I admire the look of these, as I do with most pipe shapes out there in the wide world of web.
From a practical point of view, however, I have 5 balloons on each hand that some people call fingers and, if I were to possess one of these fine specimens, it would only be a matter of time before I literally put my damn eye out.
ymmv.

May 31, 2012
...anybody ever notice that Gandalf carries his churchwarden stashed in his staff?
Now that's a real pipeman!
:)
BCrh4.png

Mar 1, 2014
I was actually on a local Church board until a few months ago, filling the position the pipe is named after to some degree.
Coincidentally it's my favourite kind of pipe too. The biggest reason that I prefer the Churchwarden, almost true to the joke posted above, is to keep smoke away from my face. I'm pretty much always smoking outside and unless it's a dead calm day even the slightest breeze will often waft the smoke into my face, stinging my eyes and nose (I never retrohale, my nose gets stuffy enough as-is).

(this is also the case because I primarily push smoke back out through the pipe after drawing, only occasionally letting smoke out between my lips)
On the subject of a long stem providing "cool smoke", I have a feeling that statement is mostly just based on the vague assumption that pipe smoke is hot to begin with.

Smoking a short pipe with an open draft, such as a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood pipe, I do notice the smoke feels warm compared to a Churchwarden, but even in the worst case I could hardly call it "hot".

I won't believe that pipe smoke has any significant amount of thermal energy until someone gets thermometer to say otherwise.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Au contraire, mon ami.
The churchwarden does indeed cool the smoke to a great degree. Anyone with any experience in the thermal dynamics of distillation or even homebrewing with a wort chiller will confirm that the temperature differential between the smoke and the stem (cooled by the ambient air) is sufficient to remove a great deal of heat from the smoke stream
However, that is not the reason most people who employ this style of pipe do so......

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I finally got a churchwarden after many years and immediately cracked the shank on the first smoke as I turned to do something not being used to the length. Ugh.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I have several Churchwarden pipes that I enjoy smoking from time to time. They are fun smokes, particularly when sitting in front of the TV and watching one of the Lord of the Rings movies.
Three of my Churchwarden pipes have interchangeable long and short stems. None of the trio smokes any cooler with the longer stems attached. I doubt that tobacco smoke being sucked from the bowl to the mouth at a million miles an hour (okay, I'm exaggerating just a tiny bit), will cool enough to be noticed by the additional two or so inches it travels before hitting the kisser. I think the tobacco one is smoking and the quality of the pipe is what determines a cooler smoke.

Reactions: MrClonestone

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I buy a churchwarden will I become precious?
Never bought one and have no plans in the future. I clench all my pipes so I can spew my inane drivel here at this site. How the hell do you think it is possible to smoke and type with one of those elongated stems that people are drawn to because their dicks are short? :rofl:

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I don't clench my pipes any more since I got teeth and head ache after clenching. I don't know if my jawbone is too weak or my pipes are too heavy!

Anyway, the reason why I appreciate churchwardens is that I don't want the smoke to move nearby my nose. Same reason why I like, but I don't want to smoke the nosewarmers.

Soon I'd like to fulfill a very, very particular churchwarden. When made I'll show here.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
lohengrin, how heavy are your pipes. I don't clench more than 55 grams with most of my pipes being 40-50 grams. If you are trying to clench 70 grams and over, that is why your jaw ached. I know a guy who can clench 100 grams and over, he has the jaw of a Cro-Magnon, it is insane.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The smoke seems a little cooler, though I wouldn't argue the point. But as mentioned in an earlier post, it is an ideal pipe for sitting in a chair with arms and puffing gently with little effort. Seems lazy; it is lazy; but nice. My wife bought me my first churchwarden, and I bought the other two. She recently bought me my first Oom-Paul, which I find I also like a lot. Sometimes you just don't know what might please you. Otherwise I might be in the "I don't own one and won't buy one" school.

Status
Not open for further replies.