PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2015
I own a Stanwell HCA that came with an optional churchwarden stem. I have only used the stem once in the 10 months that I have owned the pipe. Today I thought I would try it and packed a bowl of Smokers Haven Exotique but before I could even light the pipe I replaced it with the shorter stem. The problem is I feel that I would look utterly rediculous smoking the thing. I just can't bring myself to do it. Does anyone else have this aversion? I know some of you seem to like them. Maybe it's just me.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I am not averse to them, but if I owned one, I think I would only smoke it at home. Hell, they don't seem too portable, anyway!

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
When she sees you smoking it, make sure you share her reaction with us. Maybe she'll think you're a fictional character, or she'll sit down by your feet so you can tell her a story.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why no, I would never smoke such a thing! :mrgreen:
img_20160103_085359-600x450.jpg

Dec 28, 2015
Those are cool looking pipes Duane. I just feel like I would have trouble pulling that look off since I am not much of a swashbuckler. But I may have to give it another try. Maybe once I get a tin of black frigate it will feel more natural.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
I have one, and I smoke it in my normal rotation, particularly during study time. A church warden can often times rest in my left hand while I write w/ my right. Easy sippin'

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I was worried about how I looked with a pipe in my mouth when I first started, but the concern quickly faded as I really began enjoying the tobacco. I think most people look ridiculous with pipes stuck in their mugs. The exceptions are movie stars and people who pick the right "looking" pipe for their face, or have the right face for the pipe. This is a question of style, though, and I don't give a fig about style at my age. I've been wanting a churchwarden and it will be a fine day when I get one. I keep hearing they make for smooth and cool smokers. You will almost certainly look ridiculous, but such a barrier is no justification, in my mind, for not experiencing the further wonders of pipe smoking. Just do it !! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have posted some damned fool smoking a churchwarden in my avatar just to show how ridiculous it looks, as a warning.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have two churchwardens, one CPF and one Bjarne I enjoy smoking them occasionally and have honestly never once thought or cared about how I looked smoking them.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I have an HCA as well, the HCA II. While I usually use the regular stem, occasionally I use the churchwarden. Think a calabashed churchwarden is rather attractive.

Jan 8, 2013
I only have one churchwarden, but I absolutely love it! It delivers an an excellent smoke and is the ultimate relaxing pipe. I keep intending to purchase another, but something else catches my eye. I hope to get my hands on a Vaun Aunland at some point. Duane, yours are beautiful.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Thanks coyote, I very much like my Bjarne, it's a lovely hand-made smooth straight grain freehand/Dublin with exposed plateau top. If I was at all tech savvy I would post pics, but alas...no.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I hope to get my hands on a Vaun Aunland at some point. Duane, yours are beautiful.
Thank you very much. Still three shapes in that line that I don't have, and it's killing me!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
So on the one hand, I don't really care what anybody thinks of me anymore, and my wife is used to that and is cool about it. On the other hand, I don't feel a real attraction to churchwardens, and not just because the word church is in the name. They seem a little unwieldy to me, but if I know me, I'll end up getting one someday.

I apologize now for anything I've said that is offensive. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.