PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
Hello everyone, I was at my local tobacco shop the other day and spied some nice looking churchwarden pipes. I didn't have a lot of time to inquire about them so I was wondering if someone could fill me in on the pros and cons of smoking with one. They have always been pipes I find really intriguing I just haven't had the opportunity to try one yet.
Thanks, Yllwbeard

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Each to their own, but unless I get a part in an epic movie that involves Hobbits and the like, you won't see me puffing on a churchwarden!

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
I sense that the churchwarden has probably gained more popularity in recent years since those movies have come out haha.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
They are nice pipes for sitting and reading but a bit of a hindrance if you need to be up and doing things. If I'm going to be weighted down by such a pipe I prefer to have one with a larger bowl than churchwardens tend to have. So if I am choosing between one of my churchwardens or a Wellington I almost always pick up the Wellington.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
I had no idea the wellington shape existed!! Newbie here hint* hint* I haven't smoked a pipe long enough to know my preference but with a bowl size such as wellington seems nice as I am an avid reader. Also being a cigar smoker I have switched to pipes while reading, mostly for the convenience factor. Maybe best to avoid churchwarden due to small bowl size.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for the post tedswearingen, great read. I suppose I should expand my pipe info gathering sources further than this forum and pipedia! haha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a churchwarden for smoking when seated. I recommend the Savenelli 601 non-filtered version, an

able pipe at a reasonable price. I also recommend small-bowled Ewa churchwardens available at Iwan Ries

for around $35. Small bowls can deliver a standard length smoke with flake tobacco, and a pleasing smoke

with loose tobacco. Either of these would add a churchwarden to your rack without busting your budget.

You'll need longer pipe cleaners to keep them drawing smoothly. The 601 is in my avatar photo; don't get

a crick in your neck while viewing.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
Wow the Ewa are attractive indeed. Although my eyes did wander to the Nording churchwarden bent. To bad its out of stock. Savenelli's are out of my price range for now...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Savinelli 401 Churchwarden. Frankly, I don't now why I bought it. I never smoke it as I find it unwieldy; but lot's of folks like them. I just can't be bother with it.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I’ve two Churchwardens that I like quite well. One is a Missouri Meerschaum Patriot that I’ve fitted with a Forever Stem, the other is a Savinelli Broomhilda. Nothing cools a smoke like a churchwarden. I prefer Hearth and Home Old Companion in the Patriot and McClelland Christmas Cheer in the Broomhilda. They’re not part of a regular rotation but when I want one, I’m glad I have them.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for sharing apiperisdown. Im sure as my pipe collection expands I will add one to it. But being a beginner I will probably stick with my Butz Choquin Flash for now!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A churchwarden was the first pipe I ever bought. It was a basket pipe just stamped Italy. I still have it, but only smoke it once in a while. The long stem makes it hard to clench, so it's only really good if you're sitting around talking or just sitting somewhere taking in the sites. They do deliver a nice cool smoke though, I will agree to that.

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
Pro: a churchwarden smokes cooler; Con: it has longer stem so you have to buy special pipecleaners and pay extra effert to clean it; Pro: when you are done cleaning your churchwarden you can always cut down the dirty tips and you'll have a new regular pipecleaner! Con: you can't really clench a churchwarden; Pro: You don't really have to! I slightly open my mouth when I smoke churchwardens and it just hangs between my teeth like a crow bar between two doors or somehing like that. Con: it's more dificcult to place a churchwarden on certain types of pipe stands. So thats my two cents on the matter. Hope it helps.

Jan 8, 2013
I love my churchwarden. It actually has a decent sized bowl, so it's very comfortable in the hand and offers a good smoke time. It is stamped only "Italy" and was a pretty affordable gift last Christmas, I'm sure. But despite the fact that it's likely a low dollar pipe, it's one of my best smokers. It never fails me, and it's one I enjoy often while reading or watching a movie.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Two months ago, I did not own a Churchwarden nor have I smoked one. I acquired an 1940's Kaywoodie which was restored (see thread here) and I'm saving it for my Christmas Eve smoke. Last week, a friend gifted me a GBD Churchwarden, which was enjoyed this morning.
I'll have to get a few more bowls in to make a call. It is a bit impractical to smoke in close quarters and it was less convenient to smoke while reading. I'm not a clencher and perhaps that was the issue. I'm curious as to how the old KW will smoke compared to a newer GBD. The KW stem is quite stiff but the GBD stem was a bit springy/flexble.

Status
Not open for further replies.