PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I own a Savinelli 2012 Collections pipe. I've seen some special issue pipes, e.g., Christmas pipes, and POTYs. (Pipe of the Year).
As a matter of fact, P&C has some Stanwell POTYs that were originally listed for $360 to $384. They are on sale for between 89 and 139 dollars, if I remember correctly.
Are these pipes a steal? Are these special release pipes especially collectible?
I bought one on speculation that I kind of liked but I'm not sure how fiscally wise to jump on any of the others.
I realize that by posting this, that I might miss the opportunity to buy more, if they really are a steal. :nana:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Generally, I think that prices north of $300 are way too high for mid-tier factory pipes (Peterson, Stanwell and Savinelli). That having been said, I have owned, smoked and enjoyed higher grade pipes from each of those manufacturers. Were they worth $300+... I wouldn't have paid that price for them.
Would I have paid $100? Yep.
I have a Peterson Rosslare 80S which I enjoy very much, which was a steal at $80 as an estate pipe.
In general, I think that Stanwell does a good job on their upper tier pipes. I don't know how the POTY pipes fit into their grading schema, but at $100 I don't think you are at risk of over spending for the quality of pipe you'll get in return.
-- Pat

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I do not care for the new Stanwells, but I have a hang-up about pipe makers being headquartered and manufactured in the same country. If you do not mind buying Italian-made Danish pipes, then those P&C offerings are probably a good deal.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This is the only Stannie I own, and I think it is a well conceived and executed shape.

IIRC, it was about $79 several years ago, and it is an excellent smoker. If you like the

shape of those discounted POTY's, then I think you can't go wrong.

Stanwell.jpg

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I got a lightly used Peterson 2013 Christmas Zulu for $63 delivered which I am happy with. I like the Stanwells and I know you do as well. Seems like a real good deal to me, not as a collector pipe but as a smoker. But I am biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.