Christmas PAD Goodies/Why My Dad is a Helluva Guy!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
A couple of months ago, when I realized that the people that I shared my house with were a bunch of deadbeat drug addicts, my parents were gracious enough to allow me to move back in with them until my girlfriend and I could find other living arrangements. My father and I get along extremely well, and in fact, at this point in my life it is safe to say that we are best friends. My mother and I really don't speak to each other much anymore for reasons that I won't highlight here, but she's gracious enough about it. They both knew about my pipe smoking when I moved back in, and my father gets really excited about it and he frequently talks pipes and tobaccos with me. When Christmas was about to roll around, I made my list of pipe and tobacco related goodies. My mother got ahold of my list and said, "I'm not getting you this kind of crap for Christmas!" She has been nicknamed The Grinch by my whole family. Anyway, my father went behind her back and earned her ire for a few days, but he pulled through for me this Holiday season, and I want to share with you guys my Christmas goodies. We start with a beautiful little Churchwarden that I'm guessing he got at the local B&M. I've smoked it a couple of times and am dying to own more Churchwardens down the line:
DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0885.jpg

This little pipe smokes Flake and VA like a dream
Also, as a little Christmas gift to myself, I nabbed this Wellington on Ebay for next to nothing, and just got done cleaning and shining it up last night:
DSCN0887.jpg

DSCN0889.jpg

DSCN0891.jpg

This pipe is gargantuan, easily the biggest pipe I own, and is destined to be an English blend pipe.
As if that wasn't enough, my father further defied my mother and got me a very nice cigar humidor for Christmas:
DSCN0892.jpg

Glass top, very nice wood, big enough for my current stash and then some. Way nice!
DSCN0893.jpg

He even got it personalized for me. My father made Christmas so awesome for me this year, and I am glad to have a guy like him in my life. I am very fortunate and blessed.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Nice. I'm a fan of the Wellingtons too. The best part was hearing about the relationship you have with your dad. :puffy:

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Very nice indeed! I've been contemplating a churchwarden, but haven't decided on them yet. I have one I could restore and try out. Wellingtons are huge and from what I hear, great pipes.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Agreed on the Wellington. I just smoked the first bowl out of my new one... lasted an hour and a half.
Very nice churchwarden. The rustication looks a bit like roots.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
Nice haul, sir. On churchwardens: I have 2 right now. One is a very nice looking Sav and the other is a no name I got at my B&M. The Sav smokes well, but the angle the bowl is at you can't see what you're doing at all when you light so you have to rotate it upside down on the stem. Also, the tenon fits in the mortis (I think that's the right words, haven't taken an A&P for pipes class yet ;) ) so tight that I'm scared I'm going to break it every time I do anything that involves moving the bowl on the stem. The no name one is the exact opposite as far as the build. It fits perfectly and the 3 bowls I smoked out of it were all amazing. I see that one becoming a regular in the rotation. The Sav is gonna be more of a special occasions kinda thing as it looks and smokes very nice...just isn't very practical. I'd really like to add at least 1 or 2 more wardens to the collection.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Nice gifts ! Cherish the relationship with your dad. And your mom for that matter ;-) grinch or not ... I'm the grinch in this house :rofl:

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Very nice indeed! I've been contemplating a churchwarden, but haven't decided on them yet.
The funny thing about it is even though the stem is the length that it is, the pipe is incredibly light and makes a great clencher. I never really expected that and figured it would be kind of awkward, but so far, it has worked out well.
Now you just need to get yourself a couple of La Gloria Cubana Serie N cigars to throw in the new Humi of yours.
Always looking for a good cigar recommendation. Thanks for that one sir! And thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.