PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Wife got this for my Christmas present, but made me look early to make sure it was OK. Then she wrapped it for Xmas morning. Now I'm looking forward to an Xmas smoke. The pipe is from Russ Cook Pipes and is morta, old wood from Lake Michigan I believe.
img_1045-600x450.jpg

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Very Nice, and very interesting grain pattern, "old wood from Lake Michigan" as in recovered wood from the bottom of the lake?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
As far as I know, Russ is the only maker to use "Lake Michigan Morta".
I have one of his briar pipes and it's very well made and priced VERY reasonably for an artisan pipe. This guy is going to become more well known soon, and his prices are going to go UP. Now's is the time to buy.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Very awesome pipe! I was under the impression that Morta pipes were all black. Guess not.
-Jason
P.S.- Moved to Pipe Talk sub forum

pjm03fatboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2011
Nice pipe jcsnaps, im on milw side of the lake , does he have a web site ? to buy pipes ? i shur would like to get one of them!!!

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Just look online for Russ Cook Pipes. He has a few for sale, but as the story is told the wife says look at his gallery, call him and tell him what you want and he'll try to make it for you. She also hinted it was quite a good price. I've looked at his pipe prices before and most were less than $300. I can't wait to smoke this baby.

pjm03fatboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2011
Thanks jcsnaps. found it!! i will have to get in touch with him after the holidays :)

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I was under the impression that Morta pipes were all black.

The color seems to depend on how long the oak was submerged/buried. I have two of the traditional Irish bog oaks that are dark black. I have an Anton Manger made from German morta (not as old) that is a grayish-brown color.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
One of the reasons why I'm such a big fan of artisan pipes is the fact that you can meet, chat and sometimes drink with the carver; hear about their processes - hear them describe how they do what they do. Russ attends several pipe shows and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He has a "day job" and carves pipes in his spare time. He clearly does it because he loves it.
Yes, an artisan pipe costs more than one cut in a factory but when you meet a guy like Russ who puts so much of himself in his creations, it's an entirely justifiable price.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks kcvet67. I think I've only ever seen Peterson Bog Oak pipes so maybe that where I got that idea from.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.