PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coraxsnag

Lurker
Feb 13, 2015
I gather, the release of McClellands Christmas Cheer/Holiday Spirit is what y'all were talking about? 'Cause those puppies hit the shelves at SP today. Took the plunge, ordered two of each. (One to try, one to cellar.) I've been having issues finding an English that I liked, so maybe working my way up to them by way of a non-aro is the way to go? Either way, figured I'd spread the love!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I got real excited when I saw the email title as I've been waiting for a great sale from SPC for a while. Then.......let down. I'm sure these blends are great but I'm looking to save some serious dough on my last big cellar purchase.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The best sale of the year, last year, was at P&C during the holidays. They had a sale on Newminster blends ongoing, then on top of that, any order over $250 got 20% off. 8)

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I have yet to see anything that I would consider a respectable sale from a tobacco retailer. Most other stuff I buy I wait till it is at least 30% off.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Well I bit. 5 3.5oz tins of McClelland's 2015 Christmas Cheer should be here Friday. :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had just ordered 10 tins of Vauen's Auenland tobacco from Germany right before I got the email, or I would have ordered 10 more tins of Christmas Cheer. Very good stuff from McClelland.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Is christmas cheer always a safe bet to buy 'blind'?
I'm not really an aro smoker but I'm tempted to try one of the holiday blends as I like the idea of a tobacco with ginger, nutmeg, etc. I just don;t want to be stuck with something goopy.

rh66

Lurker
Jul 8, 2015
Well since I am putting together an order I may just have to go ahead and pick up another tin or 2 of Christmas Cheer. Just this week I popped the top on a can of 2006 that my son had gotten for me years ago and I had stored in a box. That tin had been through one divorce, two job changes and 4 moves so I wasn't sure if it would have survived. To my surprise it wasn't dried out and smoked great. On another note, I lost a tin of FVF that had lost it's seal. Haven't tried to rehydrate it and not sure I will. My son bought me another tin of it for Father's day so not to worried about it.
Rex

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Do I have to wait until Christmas? [:puffy:] "
th

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
Thanks for the notice. I checked yesterday and no dice. P&C were Out of Stock (probably not delivered yet?). First ever opportunity to purchase Christmas Cheer and I jumped. Smoke one, cellar two.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Is christmas cheer always a safe bet to buy 'blind'?
In my experience, yes. The tobacco tends to start with a Virginia leaf with some age on it, that is then pressed into a cake, and is delivered in tin as a broken cake. It ages well in the tin, and is even better with a couple years in the cellar. I always buy a few tins and cellar it.
In fact, given my propensity to smoke just a little, I cellar the Christmas Cheer, but buy and smoke GQ's Christmas Blend. I don't love aromatics, but I really love what Glynn does with these tobaccos: http://www.gqtobaccos.com/gq-blends-christmas-blend-2014/#.VbjW57NVhBc
-- Pat

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks Pruss, I'll maybe grab a couple of tins then. I do love a good Va.
I too enjoy Glynn's blends although I only tried one bowl of his last Christmas blend. I'll have to grab a pouch when the new one appears.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
But as many tins as your credit card has limit for, cause when its gone, it's gone forever.
New tobacco legislation will keep us all from getting our hands an the good stuff.

coraxsnag

Lurker
Feb 13, 2015
Welp, giving the Christmas Cheer a try! I'm trying the 'fold and stuff' method (modified, since they're not full sized flakes), which makes keeping it lit a bit trickier, however being uncased(?), I gather it's not prone to burning as hot so I'm not as worried about the temp of my bowl. So far, I like it, though! I'll have to rub out the flakelets for the next bowl I do and compare. I may never grow to embrace the English blends, but I could grow to love the non-aros. Still going to keep my aros around, though. They just make the room smell so lovely!
And on that note... next up, the Holiday Spirit!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Well CC never goes on sale unless you wait until probably a christmas sale, but by then all the CC could be gone as each year it's getting more and more sought after and hoarded.

coraxsnag

Lurker
Feb 13, 2015
Holiday Spirit, ahoy! The tin note is lovely, and makes me wish it were already December. Room note is likewise, although subtle. Seems to run a bit hot, although I'm aware that I'm struggling with being a compulsive puffer.
Sidebar - I don't know the physics of this offhand, but I've found that when my pipe starts to warm up a bit too much due to the above compulsion, wrapping some cloth around it (such as the hem of my t-shirt, etc), seems to bleed off the worst of the heat and I can keep going. And, of course, it gives me a signal to slow down and not try to impersonate an early 1900's smokestack.

Status
Not open for further replies.