PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar

Lurker
Dec 16, 2013
The grocery store I work for are a bunch of cheapskates, this year they gave us $25 gift cards to the store, so I took mike and bought a prepaid MasterCard, and will now use that to buy $25 worth of pipe tobacco

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
That is a good idea.
My last Christmas present from the company where I worked was a $8.00 burger at a local dumpy restaurant where we were taken for a holiday lunch. I would have loved a $25 gift card.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
These days you are lucky to get anything at all. Good way to turn it around to something you will use though!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
That was brilliant, good job.
In my last job, the boss said this year he'd decided to give us Christmas bonuses (for the first time). We were all happy because as techs, we worked a LOT of unpaid evenings and weekends. Christmas came and went, no bonus. Later the boss mentioned the awesome bonus he'd given us, we said there hadn't been one, he said oh, he forgot, arr ha ha, isn't that funny?
I'd been paying back a $1,000 workplace loan for longer than I thought I should, asked his personal assistant if I'd paid that back already, she looked it up and said yes, they owed me the extra I'd paid. She printed me out the page from the books where I'd paid it off, and didn't redact the line that showed her getting a $25,000 cash bonus for Christmas. Ho ho ho.
Glad you're getting the baccy instead of detergent and a sack of potatoes :)

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Very nice! That's a twist I'll have to keep in mind next time I get a giftcard to a store!
At my work, one manager gave me a $25 giftcard to groupon. Looked far and hard to see if there was anything pipe/tobacco related, but nothing. Ahhh well, I just used it to buy groupons to restaurants for my girlfriend and I to eat at...looking at it as the money I save from not paying for dinner can go to tobacco! lol

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
At least it wasn't the Jelly of the Month Club. It's the gift that keeps on giving...all year long! :wink:

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
That's lucky you could do that. I got a voucher for up to $20 toward (1) whole ham or turkey. Apparently that's what everyone who isn't important enough to get invited to the Christmas party gets. Oh well, ham for dinner tomorrow.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Exxon used to give us turkeys,our plant is located in a very poor neighborhood,very dangerous also, I would get in my truck,drive and seeing little kids play in the yard,get out my truck with my 45 in my belt,knock on door and give the turkey to the lady in the house,wife talked to the Exxon ladies and would ask me why don't you get a turkey? I would tell her They ran out.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Many times corporations give gift certificates etc to officers and other upper management staff when in my opinion those gifts should be given to the regular workers. The gift then would be better appreciated.

micdabutcher

Might Stick Around
Jun 20, 2013
Australia
My boss is great. He gave me a very nice card saying how much he appreciated my efforts and values and included a $400 cash bonus. He gave me this after dessert and coffee at a very swanky restaurant. I don't know what my colleagues received and don't really want to know. Guess who's a happy boy and will work for this guy for long as he needs me! I should also point out that we were able to take our wives or partners to dinner on his coin as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.