PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I ordered five tins this year, four to save long term, and one for this season. I only smoke outside, and it's getting cold. So earlier this week I gave in and popped the top of the one tin.
First step with any McClelland Virginia: Smell the tobacco in the tin. There's the trademark vinegar/ketchup smell, but a bit fainter than many of their blends. Much less overpowering than some can be. The flakes have the density and thickness of Beacon Extra, but they are all trimmed a regular length. Slightly smaller in size per flake than Penzance or Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, but each flake is cut a bit thicker like those two are.
Great moisture out of the tin. No drying time at all. I rubbed out a couple of flakes and just smashed them down into a bent billiard Meer. Lit easily enough. At first puff: Not much. Just nothing much there. But as the cherry started warming and the tobacco hit full temp, nice, simple, pure Virginia. To me it wasn't complex at all. I'm afraid some might find this a "boring" blend. I would describe it as "smooth." No sharpness or harshness anywhere. Smoke built to a nice thick smoke. I'm not refined enough to tell anyone about the subtle nuances other than to say it had a richness to it, maybe slight fruitiness. Perhaps just slightly sweet. But what I noted most was pure smoothness. Smoked easily with minimal relights. Dumped a small amount of dottle out when I was done.
I'd say it doesn't bite, but I find bite to be more a matter of the smoker's technique. I haven't had a bite problem with any tobacco in the last year.
Nicotine? Ehh.....middle of the road. I noticed it, but just barely.
So in the end, it is what it is: A pure, smooth Virginia, decent out of the tin right away. And likely even better 5 years from now.
For me 3 out of 4 stars with an expectation that it will trend up over time.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Purchased 4 tins of this about 2 months ago. My experience with the first popped tin is very similar to yours. Still, glad I have some in the cellar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Asked for some for my birthday a while back, and i'm following the advice that it benefits greatly from aging, so I'll keep it sealed for at least a year, two if I can bear it. I like that tin about as well as any, so it's nice to have it around on display. I'm also aging some Dark Star, and some Riverboat Gambler which is about due.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I've found McClelland tins do well with some air time. I'm going to open my tin soon, but won't start digging into it until December. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've found McClelland tins do well with some air time
+11 ... just said the same thing in another thread.
My 2015 CC will be sitting for a loooong time ... opening the tin from 2000 this year! :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've found McClelland tins do well with some air time.

I'd say it's a required process, I remember my first crack at Blackwoods flake, I was like where's the flavor? Then after a few weeks sitting in the opened tin it got that tang.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just cracked open a tin of the 2013. Lovely stuff, but definitely of a variety that needs time in the tin. I've a couple of other tins for aging. I'll check back in 5 years. In the meantime, I'll enjoy this one.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Something truly new/unique with this tobacco: Not only does it provide lots of thick satisfying smoke, it somehow seems to magically smoke forever. Seriously - in a medium (at best) pipe, I smoked for two hours while puffing away like a freight train. This is a pipe that normally runs me an hour. An hour and a quarter tops. So I have no idea why, but this stuff provides lots of smoke, yet burns very slowly.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Not to rub it in, but I'm working through a tin of the '97 (sublime) and next up is a tin of the '94. I have the 2015 penciled in for 2035 (I'll be 73 then!), sooner if the shit hits the fan! If you can afford some of these older tins they are a real treat.

mgvsquared

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
Just cracked open my tin tonight. Letting it dry a little after I rubbed out a few flakes out of necessity of doing chores, though it seemed perfect out of the tin.
I bought 2 though, mostly on the suggestion from Country Squire Radio. Smoke one now, smoke the second in a year. I understand it ages extremely well.

Status
Not open for further replies.