PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugaplum480

Lurker
Sep 24, 2012
Mesa, AZ
So now that Thanksgiving is (almost) officially over, I guess it's time to get into the holiday spirit (Christmas for me).

So my question is what's everyones favorite Christmas or holiday blend? I'm mostly an english tobacco smoker, and occosianally a virginia tobacco. Not much of an aromatic guy and most of the Christmas blends I find are aromatic so hopefully I can learn of some english blends here too.

Jan 8, 2013
I'll say McClelland Christmas Cheer too. It's a shame they won't be making anymore. As far as aromatics go, I've recently been enjoying Cornell & Diehl We Three Kings and McClelland's Holiday Spirit.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've been smoking Sam Gawith Christmas Mixture 2006 every Christmas season since, well, 2006.It really has a festive flavor and aroma. Some other favorites have been Hermit Christmas Mixtures. I'm not certain they are being produced currently or not. I have a few tins of 2004 and one of 2008 stashed away. I love a nice aromatic at this time of year...once in a while.
Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've been smoking Sam Gawith Christmas Mixture 2006 every Christmas season since, well, 2006.It really has a festive flavor and aroma. Some other favorites have been Hermit Christmas Mixtures. I'm not certain they are being produced currently or not. I have a few tins of 2004 and one of 2008 stashed away. I love a nice aromatic at this time of year...once in a while.
Mike S.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This time of year I will light-up one of the few aromatics I enjoy, Solani 127, which has a good apple flavor, mostly. Mrs. Cortez (aka. Shoe Lady) says she likes the "bakery goods" aroma, but it doesn't remind her of apple, particularly.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
A question suddenly occurred to me. Could McClelland lock in all the Christmas Cheer blends from before the deeming date and then recycle them in future years as re-releases? Hmmmm, I would buy a re-release of say the 1994 blend in 2018.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
C&D Golden Days of Yore, when aging this blend, open the tin, jar it, and try it in a week. I smoked a bowl from a freshly opened two year old tin and was greeted with nothing. Let it sit for a week and Bam! Best aromatic ever created. Weird, but something happens in that jar to allow the blend to breathe.
But yea, Golden Days of Yore, best Christmas blend.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Could McClelland lock in all the Christmas Cheer blends from before the deeming date and then recycle them in future years as re-releases?
No, each year is a different crop, meaning a new blend. August 2016 was supposed to be the cutoff date. That's why 2017 was sold Summer of last year.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Love the Peterson Xmas blends, only down side is it’s not a vacuum tin. Upside is it’s 100gm. So I jar it.

Love it, the 2016 was the best so far.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I avoid holiday blends that get into cinnamon, clove, and pine flavorings, artificial or otherwise. I find these do a chemical burn of the mouth despite their pleasant room note. Some holiday blends aren't even aromatic, so they won't cause this problem, and others use non-offensive flavorings such as those in Peretti's Thanksgiving Day, which does nicely as a holiday tobacco after Thanksgiving roo. Since many holiday blends change from year-to-year, look at the ingredients and judge according to you own preferences. I had a bad experience with a Peterson holiday blend about seven years ago, but likely the blend has changed since then. Other blends have a fine homey spin even though they aren't "holiday" blends per se, PC/Russ O.'s Log Cabin for one example.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I picked up some C&D Corncob Pipe & a Button Nose, but what I’d Really like for Christmas is that government bureaucracrats no longer stick their noses into the freely chosen activities of adults.
The Christmas blends are a fine tradition & it’s a shame that they be shut down.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it comes to that, maybe we can exchange recipes for Christmas blends from mixing those that remain available, like holiday punch recipes. If only to infuriate any regulators who actually give a hoot. Both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.