PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
With the holiday's approaching, I'm looking for a good Christmas blend. In particular I've had my eye on C&D's We Three Kings and Golden Days of Yore.
I smoked 1Q exclusively through the spring and summer. Then switched over to Frog Morton across the Pond for the fall. I am REALLY loving the orientals in the FM and the natural tobacco taste. It's very flavorful, while not overpowering my senses. I read that some don't get as much from the FM series, but I'm loving it and can't get enough lately.
With that said, the above mentioned Christmas blends look tempting, with the addition of orientals and some added spices and such. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried these, or do you have another recommendation?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I cannot more highly recommend GQ Tobacco's Christmas Blend.
Well worth the price of shipping from the UK.
-- Pat

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I always pick up some holiday aromatics for the season.
Straus Tobacconist in Florence Kentucky does a great one called Wenceslas. A great berry flavored aro. Goes on sale Black Friday.
Peterson does a Holiday Season blend that's always a solid aromatic. The blend changes from year to year, but it never disappoints as a holiday favorite.
I also pick up a tin of H&H's Egg Nog. Great flavor that invokes the holiday season.
McClelland has two, Holiday Spirit and Christmas Cheer. I love the Holiday Spirit. Another great aro. Ive heard Christmas cheer is always a good straight VA blend. Haven't had it yet myself.
I guess you could get some blending Oriental leaf and add it to these blends. I don't know of many holiday blends that aren't aromatic or include Oriental leaf.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I opted for McClellands Christmas Cheer 2015, but I won't smoke it for quite a while. The attraction was that it is not aromatic. With aromatic holiday blends, some of which are flavored with cinnamon and other holiday scents, I find the flavorings really burn my mouth, no matter how slow I smoke. I can handle most stronger blends without flavoring, but aromatics get me, even when I mix them with other tobacco to reduce the burn. But those holiday aromatics sure smell good to the onlookers (on-sniffers?).

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don't know if Hermit Tobacco still puts out a Christmas offering or not but if they do, it's isually pretty good. It's always a non Latakia blend pressed in cakes.
Mike S.

Dec 24, 2012
I'm with Pat on the GQ Christmas blend. My understanding is that Gwynn does not use a topping per se, but rather uses a method to infuse the tobacco with natural spices such as clove and all spice.
Whatever he does, last year's blend was marvelous. It was not "gooey" at all and simply tasted delicious.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Enjoying the Peterson Holiday Blend this year, even if it's still too warm for it here in Florida...just crank the ac down and pretend.
Beyond the holiday blends, you might try McClelland Master Penman. Rum and cinnamon are a good Christmas combo.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Lordofthepiperings Said:

I also pick up a tin of H&H's Egg Nog. Great flavor that invokes the holiday season.

+1.
For me, Christmas (and the Holiday season in general), call for mostly aromatics. For some reason I just prefer them this time of year. I can only offer suggestions on blends that I have smoked.
As far as non aro's go, McClelland's Christmas Cheer blends are pretty nice. I have not smoked any of the newer years, but I have smoked years 2006 through about 2010. None of them disappointed.
Here is a list of a few aromatics that I have smoked. Click on the links to read my reviews of them.
McClelland Holiday Spirit 2008 - While this is the review for 2008 blend, I have smoked different years of this blend and they are all the same with the same flavors/flavor profile.
Hearth & Home Egg Nog - I love this blend around the Holidays.
While not really a Christmas blend, I find that C&D Autumn Evening is a solid fall/winter blend IF you like maple.

C&D Autumn Evening
You could also try the Peterson Holiday Blends. I have smoked a few of the different years. They were solid blends, but they were not my cup of tea. However a lot of people love them.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Definitely buy the Peterson Holiday Blend. I like it better than Christmas Cheer or Holiday Spirit. I also have a tin of Golden Days of Yore but haven't popped it open yet.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Anybody here familiar with Barnies Coffee & Tea? They put out a Christmas coffee that is beyond words. As a general rule, I hate flavored coffees, but this is the exception. IF anyone here knows what I'm talking about, is there a similar tobacco? Just curious.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Christmas Cheer is always excellent, but it is a straight Virginia,and varies from year to year. My experience with smoking 'em right away has been generally positive, but starting this year I am changing to aging them only.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Christmas Cheer by McClelland is some very good stuff. Its not "Christmas-y" in that there is no aromatic component so you don't get cinnamon or any sort of traditional holiday flavor.
But it is some fine, fine tasty stuff...so for me Christmas Cheer is about the tradition, not the flavor. I usually buy two tins each year in August. One remains sealed in the cellar. The other goes into a jar. I'll usually crack it and try it on Thanksgiving (as I'm usually doing Christmas with one side of my family, and its not yet cold enough to die out in the garage).
If the weather allows me to be outside I'll smoke it at Christmas too. Then I'll seal up the jar to be enjoyed the rest of the year with about 6 months of age. Yum yum yum.
I'm not a large fan of aromatics- I try them here and there. But, C&D has impressed me with Autumn Evening, so were I to order a Holiday Aromatic, it would probably be from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.