PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I know this is different for most of us - and I’ve read some preferences about the first smoke in a new bowl - like burley to build cake quicker etc
But I’m more about celebrating with a symbolic gesture - like Christening a ship’s maiden voyage.
So what should that first smoke be?
The first blend wherein I found Nirvana? (Different for each of us) Or something puristic - like the quintessential English? (What would the most proper English be?) Or something hard to get - and so maybe a bit sacred? (Recently scored some Esoterica).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Or something hard to get - and so maybe a bit sacred? (Recently scored some Esoterica).
You would be surprised how easy those are to find when you call B&M's. Cheaper too. :wink:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think I'd wait till the pipe has been smoked a dozen or so times before firing up a unicorn blend. But, again, there's no right nor wrong, except something that would really ghost up the bowl in a bad way.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo ale
I have a break-in routine, meant to discover the particular personality of a new pipe. I use a stable of known and relatively bland blends, mostly Virginias: Prince Albert; MacBaren No. 1, Newminster #701, C&D Virginia Flake and Ribbon. Since these are pretty neutal in taste, I can figure out the nuances of the given briar. This is when I decide if the pipe is partial to VAs, and if it is, I dedicate it to the Virginias Project.
When I am trying out a new blend, especially if it is a HTF or very old blend, I always use a pipe that I understand very well. This isolates the variables introduced by random pipes.
Since I rarely puff the break-in blends, being a Latfiend, a pipe break-in interrupts the smoking sequences I prefer. I guess that's why I still have about a hundred pipes in the waiting line.
hp

les

Dec 28, 2015
I usually pick whatever my current favorite Va or VaPer blend is to christen a new pipe. But I always try to make sure it is a high quality and somewhat special tobacco. My first smoke selection never has anything to do with building cake or breaking in the pipe.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
What's a unicorn blend? Previously digested? Like I saw a coffee bean that was special because some unique bird ate the beans and someone followed it around with chop sticks and a plastic cup until it pooped it out. Seriously - that's for real. I passed on the poop blend. Unicorn is a special rarely smoked blend?

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
History and tradition should be it I think.
As early as 1912 Alfred Dunhill began producing catalogs which featured pre-tinned blends chosen for wide appeal, rather than being custom-tailored — though some of those earliest were, in fact, derived from "My Mixtures," 965 included. My Mixture blends thought to have a general appeal had, in fact, already appeared in the very first Dunhill catalog, two years previous. Joining them in 1912 came two names we find alive and well once more today: Durbar, and Royal Yacht.
I can't find the beginnings for Irish Flake or Rattray blends.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
The last time I broke in with a proper English, it was Proper English from Peter Stokkebye. I definitely recommend that route. I broke in a Morgan Pipes Blackjack with it. I second (or thirteenth or so) the recommendation to not worry about cake. It builds from enjoying your pipe. Do as you please.

Status
Not open for further replies.