Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Chris Askwith Prince

(18 posts)
  1. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've been a fan of Chris Askwith pipes for a long time, particularly his execution of the Prince shape and his colored stems. Last week, at the NOLA show, SmokingPipes had several new Askwith pipes, but they were out of my price range. I was looking for one with a cream stem. Unbelievably a Prince with a cream stem and natural finish showed up on Ebay and the owner accepted my offer. It looks to be used sparingly so hopefully close to these original pictures from Chris. (the ebay pix were not great).

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice find. Beautiful grain. Enjoy. You've been on a streak lately. Nice show pipe and now this. Dutch

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Handsome pipe indeed!

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stunning, absolutely stunning!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a real beauty, Al. Enjoy it.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That's a nice one. Enjoy!

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yo Al - good Karma there. I too have admired Chris's work, and in fact have his first morta, in a sort of Princey shape. But I've been after one of his standard classic Princes, and got one off another forum.

hp
    les

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He makes a mean pipe and is a heckuva guy. He brings a little punk rock to pipe design. Only thing I don't love is his buttons tend to be a little sharp edged to my taste.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Terrific grain and color. A real stand-out.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This is one of his polyester stems. Do they require any care?

I have one his "Hand Finished" pipes and really like that stem construction, I'm hoping this one is similar.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is one of his polyester stems. Do they require any care?

I thought so. I know I've seen that pipe somewhere before. Anyway, no on the special care. It's easier to keep than vulcanite but not quite as hard as acrylic.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a sweet sweet pipe. Chris makes awesome smokers !!

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow that's a Beauty....I love that pipe!!!!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. delkhouri

delkhouri

Login to Send PM

Super jealous.... congrats on a beauty.

"I believe that many who find that 'nothing happens' when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand"
    ~ C.S. Lewis
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. fmgee

fmgee

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great Pipe. I keep drooling over his website, I love his use of colour.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice! I am a big fan of white, cream, or pearl colored stems.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

moriarty

Login to Send PM

Chris makes a nice prince. This one is superb and it's a pipe to envy. I don't think any special treatment is needed with the stem material. Maybe with the ivory colour you'll need to keep the inside clean so that tar staining doesn't show through. I like Askwith's polyester stems as they are very comfortable. The material doesn't hold quite the same deep shine as ebonite or acrylic but, otherwise, it combines the best of both worlds.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

After a delay in shipping from the sender, the pipe was finally delivered today. The pictures above were from Chris Askwith and the eBay pictures were pretty bad. The seller promised there was no issues with the briar and offered returns, so I took a chance after he accepted my offer. He said there was some rim darkening, which turned out to be a slight scorching. Fortunately,with the neutral stain it was easy to fix and the pipe looks terrific. I reamed/soaked it tonight, so I'll wait until tomorrow to smoke it. It's svelte 38 grams and I love the way the polyester stem feels. The tenon is nicely detailed Delrin, which Chris uses on his polyester stems.

Its hard to believe that I found the shape and color combination I wanted in an estate.

The finish combination did make it hard to photograph. I had to swap out my shiny white background for a piece of lavendar printer paper to get some contrast to the briar and stem.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   judcole