PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I like Chris Aswith work and wanted an opportunity to own a British-made artisan pipe. Recently, he released his "Hand Finished" line with very reasonable prices. I popped for this bent Billiard, as it had that classic British profile.
The pipe arrived yesterday and I've smoked two bowls in it and though I would share my observations.
Chris found a stock of old English briar stock. The stem material is vulcanite, from some old German stock that he found. The stem fitment is perfect and the button is sublime, just to my liking and much like my older Sasieni's in shape and feel. The stem has a great mouth feel and Chris reports it doesn't oxidize in use (one concern that I had). I was a little concerned as the pipe will not pass a cleaner. As I suspected, Chris said the strummels were pre-drilled, so he had to work within those shaping confines. I am happy to report, that after two smokes, the pipe was dry as a bone and cool. The wall thickness is also just to my preference. Chris says he is still learning to work with this supply and appreciated my feedback.
Ordering was smooth and completed via email. It was pleasant to have some interaction with the maker.
This one appears to be a good addition to the rack and has whetted my appetite for a future Hand Made pipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the write up Al. I was wondering about this venture and am happy to hear that you're pleased with the smoking properties of the pipe.
I hear you on Chris' hand made pipes. I covet an Askwith bulldog or two... I really like his morta work too.
-- Pat

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Very nice Al, as I said earlier, I don't think one can go very wrong with a craftsman/artist like Chris.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Al
Great looking burner and as brad said, excellent looking stem and button
As trail boss said, some of my best smokers don't pass a cleaner, but I do wish they did
Enjoy

Dec 24, 2012
Very nice. I hope this new endeavour works out for Chris - based on the look of this pipe, it should. Congrats.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Thanks for sharing Al. This is a great looking pipe, I love everything about it. Great choice.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One detail I didn't mention. Chris does use a bowl coating. I decided to leave it in and was pleased to not notice any funky taste. I've smoked three bowls in the pipe and what ever he is using, it sure lets cake start building fast. Three bowls in, I'm quite pleased with this one. I know bowl coatings are or everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.