Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Who is Chris you ask..In 1971 some co workers had urged me to take up pipe smoking.I knew absolutely nothing about it.There was no internet back then to learn from.Still I determined to give it a try.One day I walked into a smoke shop.I saw a young man standing behind the counter.He looked a little like a hippie and a little like a nerd.I was used to seeing folks look like that back in those days though.He said his name was Chris.He sold me a pipe and some tobacco.Each month I would go back in to buy more tobacco.Chris would take all the time in the world to explain the finer points of all things that had to with pipe smoking.After 3 years he told me that he could make a lot more money as a meat cutter than he could working in the smoke shop.He quit and I've never seen again.I've never forgotten him though.Chris is far from the only person that's helped me over the years.The pipe smoking world is full of folks like him.I'm sure there's been some of them in your life.I doubt though that I would have enjoyed these more than 40 years of pipe smoking if it had not been for him and the great deal of help he gave me to get me started.I don't know what happened to Chris.I hope he's alive and doing well though.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
The Chris figures in this world, are getting harder to find every day! Mine is a guy named Melvin. He's the owner of the oldest B&M around here. I have talked to him at least once a month for the last five years or so, and he's helped me a lot! In the last year or so, I see him about once a week! Usually just to talk. I owe a lot to that man!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a swell story, Puffy.
Here's a casual acquaintance, made 40 odd years ago, who helped you start a lifelong affair with the pipe.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all made this kind of positive impact in somebody's life?
Thank you for sharing this.
Fnord

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
To Chris!
I dedicate this coffee mug of rum I'm drinking like a sailor to YOU, Sir!
May the sun be on your face and wind at your back. Or whichever way you like.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a neat tale, hopefully Chris is happy somewhere and still smoking a pipe.
My guy is unnamed and I never met him. Four years ago, on Florida beach vacation, a gentleman a few hotel rooms down popped out on his balcony twice a day for a 15-20 minute pipe smoke. He looked vastly content staring at the ocean. I was smoking cigars at the time and the wife mentioned several times as we watched him how she wished I smoked a pipe instead. I never met the guy. But, I came home, bought a cheap Ebay pipe and it took off from there. When I would get tongue bite or my pipe wouldn't pack properly, etc., I'd think back to the completely contented look on his face and I stuck it out. Thanks unknown Florida piper!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Back in 1967 or '68 I had a mentor. I think his name was Bill. Back then, I was smoking Kentucky Club Blue from Medicos and Kaywoodies.

Bill introduced me to the world of high grade pipes (Danish free hands were the rage back then) and natural, British style tobaccos.

I never looked back. He was also an avid Libertarian, and some of that rubbed off on me too! :puffy:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
My guy is Kevin, the owner of the local B&M. While predominantly a cigar guy, he's helped me pick out some pipes and talked a little about 30 or so bulk blends that he has in the shop. While they are a cigar shop above all, Victory Cigars, they still are smart enough to hold a pipe event every month or so and have been instrumental in helping us get our pipe club up and running. He may not be the most knowledgeable pipe man, but he has been a huge help none the less. Not to mention all the help I've received here on this forum, without whom I likely would have given up by now.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I love to hear stories like these. My “Chris” was an older gentleman named Marvin Martin. He owned and operated Martin’s Smoke Shop. He made and sold pipes, blended and sold his own custom blends of tobacco. I stumbled in his shop one day by complete accident. I ended up with a pipe, a pouch of tobacco and a lifelong friend. He lined my pipe bowl with honey, and proceeded to instruct me in the art of loading, lighting and smoking a pipe. I was hooked from that day on. I would stop by once a week, sometimes more, for the next ten years. He would always give you a bowl to smoke on the house and we would sit and cuss and discuss everything from pipes, to women to politics. He was gruff, surly and cussed to make a sailor blush and if you didn’t like his tone, topic or attitude he would show you the door. Over the next ten years I purchased 12 of his handmade’s along with several other brands, GBD, Stanwell, and Peterson’s to name a few. He made some of the prettiest and finest pipes and blended some of the best tobacco I have ever smoked still to this day. Mr. Martin passed away several years back and with him went the only true B&M shop in my area and also went a true artist, and one hell of a fine man. SO here is to Chris, Melvin, the unknown man on the balcony, Bill , Mr. Martin, Kevin and all the other “Chris’s “ out there who have helped all of us in one way or another on this wonderful and magical journey we call “ The Brotherhood of the Briar ”. Cheers Gentlemen!!! :puffpipe:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What is so sad is that so many of us somehow manage to pass through our youth without a mentor. Or even worse, the wrong one. I think the latter is why there is so much crime and failed lives in our country today.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I don't have a Chris but I did have someone who inspired me to start smoking a pipe.
His name is Father Peter Gelsomino. He taught at Archbishop Stepinac in White Plains NY where I attended from 83 to 86. He's been a family friend now for over 30 years. He used to always smoke a corn cob and some fantastic smelling aromatics. He stopped smoking a pipe maybe 20 years ago due to his Dr. telling him to stop after a heart attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.