PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
Being new to pipes, I haven't had much exposure to different tobaccos. I have smoked the drug store variety like Amphora and Sail. My father smoked Amphora Rich Aroma in the green pouch and I fell in love with it. This is the flavor I enjoy. As a rookie I have no idea how to find similar brands in today's market. Living in Canada my options are limited and very very expensive. 50g is almost 30 bucks. If I am not mistaken I can ship tobacco into Canada duty/tax free as long as it is less than 200g per shipment. It is illegal to ship tobacco between provinces so I can't buy from Canadian online stores, I would end up paying a fortune in taxes. Tobacco seems to be a third of the cost from the US compared to Canada.
So I need some help. As stated, I enjoyed the Amphora Rich Aroma. I am looking for similar tasting tobaccos however I don't know what you would call the characteristics of this blend. I guess I don't really know how to describe what flavor I like. I know what I don't like. I do not enjoy cherry or licorice flavors. That I am sure of. I would like to try some samplers but I'm not sure how it will taste based on the description. I don't have many local options in my city. There is one shop locally but I am going to be paying all most 30 bucks per 50g. The options are overwhelming for a new guy.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
You could buy whole leaf from Whole Leaf Tobacco. They sell Virginia, Turkish, Burley and Latakia. When they ship into Canada they tape a customs form onto the outside of the package explaining the tariff/fee etc which is next to nothing. You are not going to end up with an Amphora but for about $20.00 per pound (American) I'm sure you'll come up with a blend you like.

cornleader

Might Stick Around
Mar 8, 2015
You could buy whole leaf from Whole Leaf Tobacco. They sell Virginia, Turkish, Burley and Latakia. When they ship into Canada they tape a customs form onto the outside of the package explaining the tariff/fee etc which is next to nothing. You are not going to end up with an Amphora but for about $20.00 per pound (American) I'm sure you'll come up with a blend you like.

Sounds a bit too elaborate for me :?

I want to try some packaged products to start off.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
You might find it helpful to go to the tobacco review pages. Start with reviews of what you like. See how others define it. Often the reviewer will compare it to another blend, giving you something else to try. You'll find it helpful when you read favorable reviews of the tobacco you like because those people like what you like. Beware some are what I call "colorful" but after reading a number you'll better understand why you like what you do and what alternatives might suit you. It's a lot cheaper than trying a whole lot of things you don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.