PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
I'm looking for a Christmas tobacco to start stocking up on for the Christmas period, but I've never smoked a Christmas-special tobacco before - so where do I start? I'm a big fan of Peterson's Gold Blend and Stokkebye's Kentucky Nougat, but I also love a good Latakia or Turkish blend... Any suggestions?
I suppose one reason I'm looking NOW is because I've just ordered a Savinelli St Nicholas (I'll post pics when it arrives!) and am looking for an inaugural smoke... :)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My favorite Christmas tobacco is Christmas Cheer by McClelland. This is a straight virginia and really has nothing to do with Christmas (like spices, for example), other than the name.
Another one worth checking out would be C&D's Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose Christmas Blend. This tobacco will be sauced to take like Christmas, though I have not tried it myself.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I suppose one reason I'm looking NOW is because I've just ordered a Savinelli St Nicholas (I'll post pics when it arrives!) and am looking for an inaugural smoke.
I prefer to use a tobacco that I am familiar with for a new pipe. Likewise, If I have a new tobacco, I get out a pipe that I am familiar with. This way if I run into something unusual, I know it's the new element. To each his own, but I find this a good way to go. :puffy:

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm rather fond of the C&D Christmas Blend this year that Neil mentioned. The flavors and room note will no doubt ignite that Christmas spirit, but there is actual tobacco flavor and strength there too.
That being said, I'm with Jud on this one. I would never break a new pipe in with an unknown tobacco. For the inaugural smoke, I would stick with something you know and like.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I prefer to use a tobacco that I am familiar with for a new pipe. Likewise, If I have a new tobacco, I get out a pipe that I am familiar with. This way if I run into something unusual, I know it's the new element. To each his own, but I find this a good way to go.
That's one of the most sensible things I've read this month!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Cornell&Diehl Corn Cob Pipe (and a button nose) is fine for me in small doses.

It's cube cut and is rich with flavors of hot cocoa with marshmallows, and maybe a splash of spiced rum. The tin note is splendid and the flavor isn't far off.

Nonsmokers love the smell of this stuff.

Since it's cube cut, I find it smokes best in a smaller chambered pipe.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Nothing says Christmas like Penzance or Stonehaven, I'd wait until you get some before smoking your pipe. The first bowl of either tobacco in a brand new pipe is a surreal experience

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
I wanted to try H&H Snowdrift but it's back ordered. The C&D blend mentioned above was either sold out or backordered wherever I looked. Anyone have a link to a place to get it? I bought a Christmas Pete and am looking for something festive to smoke as well. I got H&H Egg Nog but don't have high hopes for it.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Corn Cob Pipe is available at Smokingpipes.com in either the 2 or 8 oz. tin.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/otherarrivals.cfm?pipe-tobaccos

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I just burned through my stash of Russ' Monthly Blend - Yule Log and enjoyed that very much.
Russ' Monthly Blend - Yule Log is a medium-bodied blend of red and yellow Virginias with a moderate amount of top-quality Latakia. A great, cool smoke that will remind you of the aroma of the fireplace.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
Thanks, skraps! I don't know all the retailers and must've overlooked that one.
EDIT - Parcel post cost less than $3. No hesitation to order. Hope it's good!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I prefer to use a tobacco that I am familiar with for a new pipe. Likewise, If I have a new tobacco, I get out a pipe that I am familiar with. This way if I run into something unusual, I know it's the new element. To each his own, but I find this a good way to go. :puffy:
Yup, gotta isolate those variables.
Though I can understand the sentiment if you are trying to start a tradition by dedicating your new Christmas themed pipe to a particular tobacco - only to be enjoyed on or around Christmas.
In that case I would caution something like Christmas Cheer, I'm not sure how the new reg's will effect the yearly release. It may be best to ignore the marketing, think about the ephemeral aspects of Christmas which are important to you and let us know. Someone may be able to put you on a path towards something more readily available and more reliable in the future.
-- If that is what you're trying to accomplish, that is.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I have 2 personal favorites for Christmas-time pipe tobaccos in addition to the usual annual addition of a few tins of McClelland Christmas Cheer - Peretti Yuletide, which is generally outstanding, and Uhle's Christmas Blend 2011, which was so highly received that they made it a part of their regular offering of blends.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That's one of the most sensible things I've read this month!

Thanks jpmcwjr. As drezz01 put it, gotta isolate the variables.

I was in IT before I retired. When something wasn't working, being able to isolate variables was an essential part of figuring out why it wasn't working. :puffy:

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Wow, I sure am outnumbered with the whole new-pipe-familiar-tobacco thing! I suppose I think of a new pipe as a whole new process - like a new smoker, with a new pipe and new tobacco! However, perhaps I'll concede that point this time around :wink:
In terms of Christmas blends, I'll have a look around for the ones you mention, but being in the UK, I don't think I have access to all of them. The annual Peterson blend seems popular here though...

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
It's your pipe. I agree it's good advice but I'm going to ignore it with my Christmas Pete and smoke the C&D blend recommended above in it first.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I use tobaccoreviews.com to see what most people think of blends I haven't tried...I figure I'm a regular guy. I use the search tool and select highly rated and more than 50 or 100 reviews and another one or couple of filters. Presto change o, the search usually renders a not unreasonable number of blends to study.
Another method on tobaccoreviews.com is to see what jiminks thinks of the blend.
Finally, I look at smokingpipes top selling tins and bulks lists for blends to try...again I figure I'm a regular guy.
Happy hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.