PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Does anyone have special routines for selecting a pipe for the next smoke? I seem to have fallen

into the habit of picking out the pipes to smoke the next day or later in the day and setting them

out, so they are pre-selected. Sometimes I'll pass those by and choose another one, but often it

is pleasant to have the selection already made. I find this makes me look carefully to be sure I am

smoking all, or most of my pipes. I look for the ones I haven't smoked in a while. It also makes me

aware of where I have parked the various ones. Mostly they have places, but some float around.

Do you have routines or rituals that you follow? Even just diving for a pipe on impulse is a routine!

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
I am relatively new at this, and I only smoke one bowl per day in the evening, so my routine is pretty basic. I have a pipe rack that holds 7 pipes. 4 briars and 3 cobs. I grab whichever pipe is next depending on the day of the week.

Jan 8, 2013
No routine for me. I usually just give my pipes a look over, perhaps pick a couple up and admire them, and then just choose the one which seems to speak to me at the time.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I'm with Anthony on this one. I've got over 100 briars, and I let my eye roam over them until I hear the one that's calling to me.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I have about 8 briars, 3 cobs and a maple hardwood. I usually pick which one depending on the tobacco I'm going to smoke. If its a complex Balkan, I'll pull my Pot, VA Flake it usually goes in the maple diplomat. Burley based blends usually get smoked in my Country Gent, now if the Gent hasn't been smoked in 8 hours, that usually gets moved to the top of the list, and I smoke whatever I damn well please in it.
I would say 2 or 3 of my briars never really get touched. I'm thinking about just buying 7 more Country Gents and just smoking them from now on. I wish I had the money to drop on some quality briar, but right now any money I have gets put toward the cellar.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I think about them during work and one seems to feel right. I then do the same with the tobacco.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Pick one depending on the blend (I have pipes I use for VAs, a couple for English and the rest for aros), usually whichever one I haven't used recently or one that suits the length of smoke I'm going to go for. No real rhyme or reason otherwise.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Since I dedicate pipes to different genre/styles of blends I select which tobacco I want to smoke and that determines the pipe I'll use. Smoking some Peterson Irish Flake right now so I'm using this little old beat up WDC since that's my IF pipe.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I also select the tobacco first and then select whichever pipe for that tobacco that is next up in the rotation.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I used to try to care and dedicate certain pipes to Lat blends, certain pipes to Va and Va/pers, etc.
I finally realized that I just don't care. My taste buds are not that sensitive to the 'ghosting' that many folks are concerned about.
I try to rotate my smoking of all of my 40 or so pipes. If I realize that I'm avoiding one or two, I make plans to trade them in for another that may be more to my liking.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
I spend a lot of time thinking about what I'll smoke when I am next able to, make a decision, then do something completely different at the last minute. Happens every time!

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
As crazy as it sounds, since I don't smoke every day, I usually let the pipes call to me and the one who wins, gets to be smoked.

rwramsey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2014
I also choose the tobacco first, then decide which pipe would work well with it.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I chose randomly and go by my mood or what I'm smoking. Sometimes I try to stay away from ones recently smoked just to get some use out of the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.