PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Chonowitsch T14 (P&C). There's something about a Saturday morning that makes it an ideal time for smoking English blends. Saturday morning is a time to relax and take some time to feel like the king of your own castle, and it's a perfect time to slow down and enjoy the sophisticated, complex flavors and aromas of Latakias, expertly combined with other flavorings in English blends.
The aroma of Chonowitsch T14 in the tin is primarily a bright Latakia laced with spicy notes. Some Latakias have a heavier, headier aroma, but the Latakia in this blend is bright and crisp.
The flavor has a somewhat different character than the aroma in the tin. The flavor becomes a much more herbal Latakia with some subtle spicy notes, rather than the spicy tone of the aroma in the tin.
Excellent smoke!
The description on the tin says that the aroma of the smoke has an unusual woodland aroma, but I don't have anyone else in the house to tell me about the room note.

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I've gone back to the tin a few times to enjoy the aroma, and there's also a faint hint of cedar that I missed earlier.
That might also explain the "unusual woodland aroma" of the smoke that they mention.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I have wanted to try T16 and 17. Ever tried those?
Edit: You sure t14 has Latakia in it? The description says Burley, VA and black cav

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I was a bit surprised when I opened the tin and got a strong lat aroma. I wasn't expecting it from the description.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
hmmm. Maybe it is something similar to what you mentioned about Royal Cajun? A new curing process?

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I'm wondering the same - if maybe they use a Latakia-like curing technique on the Virginia or the burley. That might explain why the lat aroma has a somewhat different character than in my other English blends.
In any event, T14 is a delightful smoke that I'd definitely recommend to folks who enjoy English blends.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
T15 is excellent as well. Excellent tobacco from this blender. I just finished a T14 now on to T16. I started out with T15. I'll have to get some T16 and T17 to try them all. Amazingly mild and flavorful to smoke. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.