PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincob

Lurker
Nov 27, 2015
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the deal is with "choking" a pipe. When I first started smoking, I had a lot of trouble keeping the pipe lit, but after a few weeks, I realized that by using a finger or two too block or "feather" or direct the airflow into the pipe, I could both make it hit a lot better (if that's the word for a tobacco pipe), and keep burning a lot better. I'd experimented a lot with it for like 5 months now, and I'm positive. If I try just puffing on it, I might be getting just a feeble smoke and it's feeling like it's going out. But then I take my fingers, and rhythmically block and unblock the airflow into the bowl (sort of like "pulsing" it. You have to just kind of get a feel for how fast and how much), and it'll spring back into life, every time (unless it's too far gone already). I'm not sure, but I think it might be something I unconsciously picked up from being around people who smoked...other things...out of pipes when I was younger. Because I just kind of started doing it without thinking about it, so I feel like I must have seen people doing it somewhere, or something.

But oddly, I don't ever see anyone else say anything about it online. I never thought much about it, but I ran into an old man down in town one day when I was walking and smoking my pipe, and he stopped me to offer me some of his tobacco and to talk. He gave me some good tips, and at one point, he asked "you know how to choke a pipe". I said "you mean where you use your fingers over the top of the bowl", and he said "yes". So he didn't say anything more about it, and I didn't think to ask at the time. I'd never thought to call it anything before I talked to him.

So what is the deal with this? Is this something that all pipe smokers do? And what do they usually call it? Because when I google "choking a tobacco pipe", I get references to plumbing being blocked up and people choking on smoke.

And just as importantly, why does it work? I think over it, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that restricting the airflow would make the fuel burn better; all I can think is that the turbulence of the air being blocked and unblocked creates a "swirl effect" that spreads the oxygen through the bowl and the tobacco. It works in the combustion chamber of a piston engine, after all. Anyway, it definitely works on tobacco. At least that's my experience.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's like taking a really hard puff without actually doing it. The Venturi effect. Try taking the sprayer off of a water hose, and turn on the water. Slow stream of water comes out, but it is alot of water. Now, plug the end of the hose with your thumb. Same volume of water being forced through a smaller space raises the water pressure. Same with the pipe. You are drawing the same amount of air into the chamber, but when partially closed it makes the air go into the pipe faster.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm guessing this is an air-fuel mixture ratio thing. Maybe we should get Brian to do a show on it, I did a bunch of Googling but couldn't find anything pipe related, but now that you bring up the term "choke" that's the same terminology as a gas engine, so my bet is it's the same mechanism at play.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I do that. Generally when I'm outside and a pipe begins to go out, usually from inattention. However, the most enjoyment (flavor) is derived from tobacco burning at lower temps. Stoking the fire, as it were, can provide smoke at the cost of flavor. I suggest pipes with a more open draw for easier, lower temp burn. The below link is a fascinating read.
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/10/31/how-and-why-chamber-geometry-impacts-tobacco-flavor.html
Mike S.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I had the same troubles when I started smoking pipe and used your method too. Then I understood that my mistake was in smoking pipe like a cigarette: I kept the pipe in my hand and was putting in mouth just when puffing.

Now I keep the pipe always in my mouth and the small quantity of air of normal breathing is enough to keep it always lit.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd suggest that if you have to do this often, your tobacco is way too moist. Try drying some short of being crunchy and see if you don't get a better smoke.

cmclark

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
I've done the same thing almost naturally. Usually once or twice to help get the pipe lit or when its dying out then just keep a good puff rhythm.

Mar 1, 2014
Now I keep the pipe always in my mouth and the small quantity of air of normal breathing is enough to keep it always lit.
Sorry Lohengrin, but I'm pretty sure most people would say that using your lungs to keep a pipe lit is a bad idea.

There are still plenty of members here that do inhale to various extents, but a common factor attracting people to pipes is your ability to keep smoking while reducing exposure to smoke (that and the cost savings of course).

I've seen blends that will smoulder to the bottom of the bowl without assistance, but generally the only solid advice I know of as far as keeping your pipe lit is to make your tobacco burn better, it just needs to be dried more, rubbed more, or chopped, or pulverised in a blender.

Status
Not open for further replies.