PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I'm off to the B&M tomorrow and would like to try out a chocolate tobacco with latakia; he has in stock the following:
GH Bob's Chocolate Flake

Two Friends' English Chocolate

SG Chocolate Flake
All three of them have latakia in them (a good thing) and they don't appear too sweet (another good thing). I'm not a huge fan of sweet, goopy aromatics but I'm currently smoking through a tin of Sillem's Black which is in aro with latakia and I'm loving it. Looking for another aro with latakia that also has a nice, full taste. Any suggestions on which one to choose?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Bob's has more chocolate than Latakia. SG chic flake has more Latakia than cocoa. I'm speaking in terms of how they taste.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks, click--thinking perhaps SG over Bob's since, as you said, you can taste a bit more of the lat. Also, did you get any Lakeland essence when you tried Bob's?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
There is no lakeland essence with bob's to my palate. I still have nightmares about ennerdale flake.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I really like the SG Choc Flake.
Papipeguy has said more than once that the Two Friends is very good as well.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I love G&H BCF, I do get the slightest lakeland flavor from it, but it's very much in the background. Never had the SG version. The G&H I think can be varying batch to batch in how much lakeland essence crosses over as all of the same machinery is used for everything. Some people say it's a soapy mess, I find it to be great, I don't know if it's because my batch was made later on after most of the residual had left the machine to the earlier product. I can't see SG being that much different, just you can be more guaranteed not to be getting any lakeland crossover on it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I occasionally smoke a bowl of SG Chocolate Flake in my rotation.

Good stuff and more like a dark cocoa flavor. Just wish the flakes were not so damn thick and it takes a good wee bit of drying out before smoking. I rub out the flakes, but then again I do that with all flake tobacco.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
While not a big chocolate fan, I love English Chocolate. So it might be a good choice for those who prefer their choc on the mild side relative to the other tobacco flavors.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Phil, cube cut a flake. Air dry the cubes overnight, then pack the cubes without rubbing them. Let me know what you think.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Well, my choice was made easier by the fact that my B&M was sold out of SG Choc Flake and Bob's, so I picked up a tin of Two Friends. Will be interested in seeing how this tastes.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I hear the most good things about Two Friends English Chocolate, but I also hear that they are all good tobaccos.
However, simultaneous latakia and chocolate is not appealing to me; these are the opinions of others.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Pipefish,
Pm me your mailing address and I'll send you a bowls worth of Bobs choc flake to try

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I'm a Bob's chocolate flake head myself. A large tall oom paul is my preferred pipe for this blend

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I got a tin of Bob's Chocolate Flake as part of my exploration of flake tobaccos. I'm smoking any that come in a flake, plug, kake, etc, just for the trip.
I didn't expect much from Bob's but I have to tell you, I re-ordered for my cellar.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Hmm well chocolate and latakia sounds as enticing to me as Hershey's syrup on sardines, but to each his own I suppose.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I might be won over in one bowl, but my reaction is, tobacco and chocolate are two things I enjoy that

I like one at a time.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm bumping this thread back up for a little update. After reading all this, it got me to order a couple of these chocolate flakes.

So when I placed my last order, I ordered a sample oz each of G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake, and SG Chocolate Flake.

After a few bowls of each, I found I like them both but for different reasons. As some have already stated, G&H Bob's has a more chocolaty flavor, but... I do detect a little Lakeland influence here. Now I happen to like most Lakeland style tobaccos, so it was no big deal, and to be honest, it was WAY in the background, but still, it was there. I don't figure it will ghost a pipe though. What I liked most here was the noticeable cocoa tin note and I could notice a bit of cocoa in the taste too. So for that reason, I liked Bob's the best. SG's Chocolate Flake had a much more noticeable latakia tin note, and taste when smoking, but I was hard pressed to taste that much chocolate flavor in it. All in all though, it was a nice rather mild flake tobacco with a mid note latakia taste and a very slight cocoa taste in the background.
Your results might be different, given how everyones taste varies somewhat, but I can recommend both as being very nice flakes using high quality tobaccos as per usual from both of these blenders. I wonder if the merger goes through with these manufacturers, if they will make just one chocolate flake by mixing the two. Hope not. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.