PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
All of us who surf Ebay see them offered.
And no, I don't want one.
I am curious as if anyone has ever bought or seen one.
Are they essentially for "alternative" tobaccos, or are they a real attempt at a briar pipe?
Quality?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
IMO JUNK!! I got one and it's crap, can't even smoke it and taste bad. Looks nice and now it is just a thing for dust to sit on. :crazy:

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
Typical [Made in China] crap, which cheaply approximates an icon of western culture. Take a look at the fly reels they are selling on ebay! They are shameless in their theft of intellectual property. When a company / entrepreneur uses chinese manufacturing for their products, they (manufacturer) make twices as much as the order and undercut the very company that brought the ideas to them (knock-offs). Regarding the fly reels, Big vendors like cabela's and bass pro shops sell premium reels in their catalog (made in china) yet you can buy the exact same reel on ebay direct from China without the bass pro / cabela's decals, for literally pennies on the dollar. Since no respectable pipemaker exports their labor, the chinese simply mimick the fine craft in a clumsy, cheap & artificial way, masquerading as something from an estate.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
Check this out:

Chinese Character Punching Bag

Look what's inside!:

SXBR9.jpg

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Oh don't even start me on chinese crap - millions of aquarium fish all over the world dying and suffering every day because of the crap they churn out.
We only have ourselves to blame for losing all of our own manufacturing to that mob in the quest of saving $'s, higher and faster production etc., and now it's too late to ever go back to the way we were. The situation will just continue to deteriorate because they know they have the world market by the gonads.
eBay shouldn't even allow them in those categories they saturate with their "estate" rubbish, not to mention antiques listed as 16th century that are Circa 2010, aged in pits full of dung grrrr.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yeah Chinese pipes from the "estate" of a 7-year old factory worker who makes $0.10 a day, aged in lead paint and Benzene.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Those pipes are crap! crap! crap! Girlfriend bought me one cause it looked nice and it was cheap, the first smoke sucked and it feel apart while i was taking the stem out to clean. Looked like it was made out of particle board!! They suck!! Better use for it.... a dog chewing toy!

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
I bought one, and upon lighting it for the first time, it caught fire like a duraflame log. It burned until nothing was left but the melamine stem and goldtone metal ferrule. It was ironic, the whole experience, because the aromatic I chose to smoke for this inaugural olive branch ceremony smelled like a burning tire.

My Cellini handmade performed much, much better.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
had one once yrs ago didnt know any better, burned palm on metal top of bowl an smoked moisture. took metal bowl out an smoked wood hahahah threw it in lake while fishin

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I am getting to the point where anything I see that says made in china disgusts me.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
I'm trying to think of something that is made in China that is known to be quality goods.
Once upon a time Japanese goods were thought of in exactly the same way by the rest of the world when they first went into mass manufacturing. However, realising the world hated their well below par quality they pulled themselves up by the boot straps and started streamlining and only manufacturing high quality, high end products across the board - somehow I can't see China taking a leaf out of their book, ever.
I believe a country's manuufacturing mentality and quality is reflected by the high or low standards and expectatioins held by its population, the affluence thereof etc i.e. look at Germany, Denmark, Italy, France, quality & style all the way!
Chinese clothing factories are the only area they've established any creds. Factories are graded and, for example, the A grade factories are reserved for USA, European labels where an Oilily Dress or pair of jeans/dress for a 3yo child can cost $400 here, $200 there. C grad factories, stuff is lucky to make it past a single wash.
With all the melamine in babies milk, lead paint on kids toys etc and other toxins they don't give a rat's patootie about one would have to wonder if they're pipes are beyond crap and actually toxic!

Status
Not open for further replies.