PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Cold as hell, snowed in here in rural NY. So I cooked up a chili and pasta dish.
wBqt3h1.jpg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Meatball/egg noodle casserole here.
At least, we're somewhere on the same train.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
prndl, Meatballs? Damn! I'm Italian, so any meatball, or any kind of pasta in any dish...I'm a happy camper.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Looks fantastic! Love chili on pasta, normally on spaghetti, never as fancy & pretty as yours.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Looks like a very satisfying meal Frank. Good thing you made a resolution to not hold in the gas...spontaneous combustion has a 100% fatality rate.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Skyline Chili!!!! Five way with lots of their great hot sauce. YYUUUUUUUMMMY stuff...

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
We grow our own tomatoes (cut and freeze) and banana peppers (dehydrate) and make our own Chili in the winter too. Good stuff!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
When I was stationed in New York I worked for a Commander who in 23 years had never been south of the Mason-Dixon Line. The chili he swore by tasted more like spaghetti sauce and he served it over rice. He used Pepperocini peppers in it.
I introduced him to South Texas chili a little later. He thought it was weird when I put a bunch of Frito corn chips in the bowl, added the chili and topped it with cheese and chopped onions. Then he asked why I handed him a beer when I handed him his bowl of chili.

Yeh, I have never had chili on pasta, but it looks great. I always do the fritos thing as well, with a big scoop of homemade sour cream and a pile of extra jalapenos.
I set back about 40 lbs of canned tomatoes and 5 lbs of sun dried tomatoes. I combine the two in my chili recipe to get that deep caramelized tomato flavor. And, I use venison. I didn't get my deer this year, but I still have a few pounds set back in the deep freeze.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Man, if there is one thing I miss most from the US is the chilli that one could eat in Texas. As far as pasta goes ... no offense guys, but I have yet to try good pasta in southern US. Now there are some places on the east coast and in Chicago ...

no offense guys, but I have yet to try good pasta in southern US.

You have to really look for good Italian in the South. We have a lot of great Greek and Indian Places, but for some reason Italian was replaced by all of the damned pizza places. But, we drive almost half an hour into the boondocks to visit a little place called Joes Italian, which is a tiny little place with people standing in line out the door and into the parking lot. Ahhh, it's so good. Everyone licks the plate and silverware afterwards to get every last drop. And, before he passed, Joe would be setting at the door like a Godfather, letting everyone shake his hand or kiss his ring. Great guy, and he is missed.
When Birmingham was formed after the Civil War, a Greek family moved in and started the first restaurant in town. That family still carries the legacy of the finest foods in the state. Every great restaurant in the Birmingham area has one of its family at the helm. Seafood, barbecue, hamburger, steaks, even Mexican, if people all agree that it is the best of its kind in the state, you will find one of this particular Greek family members calling all the shots. They also hold the largest Greek Food Festivals in the US in Birmingham, with the entire city being flooded by out-of-staters, standing in line, sometimes for hours, to get a plate of food that will blow your mind. Greek dancing, arts and crafts, all things Greek. Oompah!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
There was this place in Austin, now that I think of it. Their pasta was decent, but a bit too commercial for my taste. It was called "Buca di Pepo", can't remember whether was franchised or not. On the other hand, one can buy good products in stores like HEB of Whole Foods ... good parmesan, good pecorino romano, de cecco or barilla pasta, I remember even finding some mazza peeled san marzano tomatoes. I guess the ingredients are there, but as Michael mentioned ... where are the Italians?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Cincinnati Skyline version is great. There are four or five versions on the menu. Always a treat in Ohio. That and the Ohio Bookstore, if it is still there, a ground floor that is the usual well-lighted used bookstore and then three or four stories above that full of shelves where you turn the lights on and off with a pull string as you come and go, not much heated or cooled, but full of printed treasure.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Buca di Beppo is a nationwide chain, and quality can vary a little from one location to another. But overall it's good trattoria food and a fun place to bring a large group of people together to share an Italian meal, family style. Fine Italian cuisine, it ain't.
I love a good bowl of chili. There is no finer eating to be had. I like it so much that I even enjoy the Mid Western barbarisms inflicted on it with the addition of tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, and other such depravities.
To some degree I've made a few concessions since I no longer grind my own chili powders, but the powders that I buy from El Potrero Trading Post located in Rancho Chimayo, New Mexico, are really superb. My chili is traditional Southwestern, which is the only real chili.

Status
Not open for further replies.