PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I believe someone said there is an ATM at the Chicago show, but there is always a long line-up. Do most vendors take credit cards or, alternatively, can you pay with paypal through your mobile phone? Just trying to figure out how not to carry around a ton of cash.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Hey Peck, instead of Cash (paper) I am bringing just Toonies and loonies. and of course cargo pants to hold it all.
I am sure every transaction will be like this...
KramerMad.gif

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I would hope that, these days, every vendor would be able to take credit cards via Square and their smartphones/iPads. But I'm pretty sure that won't be the case.
If you have transportation, or don't mind a little walk across a very busy highway, there's a Hilton Garden Inn across Highway 64 that would have an ATM. There's also a major shopping area about a mile west on 64 that would have ATMs and banks.
Bob

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks, Peck, for asking the question. I look forward to getting a sense as to how many vendors/carvers will take PayPal or Visa.
I was also wondering whether folks who extend discounts to NASPC members and/or TPC members typically honour those discounts at shows. Can anyone provide insight here?
Thanks in advance,
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When in Chicago, if you have a chance to get downtown, remember Iwan Ries as a potential destination.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Wish I had this problem, this is going to be a very low dough show for me. If you want to wheel and deal cash is king.

In the first year or two at Pheasant Run there were issues with the ATM's running out but the committee took care of that and I haven't noticed any lines. Many of the dealers (and the club's silent auction) take CC's, PP and personal checks. 8O

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't recall seeing any lines at either of the ATM's.
I think a decent percentage of vendors would accept Paypal if they have an account. Just as there are buyers who don't have Paypal accounts there will be vendors that don't.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I wouldn't say there is a huge line up, but here's a solution:
The resort itself has many ATM's. I've found that midway through Saturday, the one that is closest to the show runs out of money. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, though it did last year. There is another ATM near the front desk, and I believe another near the restaurants hosted inside the resort. Hope it helps!
Some vendors take cards, others don't. The best rule for the show however is to remember the adage, "Cash is King" and come with money already in your wallet to try to subvert any mishap. I know the bar inside the smoking tent only takes cash, so you're better off to try to get away from plastic as much as possible.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
It's hit or miss on vendors accepting credit but more and more are. As mentioned, it's best to bring a bit of cash for those that don't. I don't like to carry a lot of cash on me. For the record, I accept Paypal and credit cards at the show. :D

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've never had any problems with the ATMs, but usually I just go down the road to a PNC branch if I need to make a quick withdrawal.
Pruss, the prices are usually a lot lower than retail. To me, asking for an additional 10% off seems tacky.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the info BigVan. For clarity I wasn't asking for a discount on a discount, but just trying to get an understanding of the lay of the land... Just excited about attending my first show, I guess.
-- Pat

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Yes, as Bigvan said, there are lots of bank near by. I am not set up for credit cards. Thus, I require cash for the tampers I will be selling at the show.
Winton

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I will never forget the pipe show I went to, and the ATM that SENT me to HELL. MY WIFE NAILED ME TO THE CROSS :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.