Pipes Magazine » Pipe Events

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Chicago Pipe Show 2019

(131 posts)
  1. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is time to schedule your vacation to the Chicago Pipe Show, at Pheasant Run in Saint Charles. The event starts on Wednesday, May 1st. The big show is on Saturday and Sunday, May 4-5. I am predicting that the weather in the Smoking Tent will be cloudy the entire time!

The first event is the Pipe Finishing Seminar, on Wednesday and Thursday. For $125, you will be provided a briar block, with the holes drilled. Several top carvers will teach you how to turn this block into a pipe. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time sanding! There will also be an opportunity for several students to also attend a class on how to drill the holes for the pipe. The cost for both would be $175.

If you are interested, please contact Craig Cobine, at PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM to register and pay the fees.

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On Saturday night, there will be a dinner at the New Orleans ballroom at Pheasant Run. After this elegant meal, the new Doctors and Masters of Pipes will be presented. There will also be a raffle for several boxes of cigars. Please contact Craig Cobine at PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM to register. Pheasant Run needs to know how many dinners to expect.

All prices inclusive of tax and service fee

Traditional Garden Salad with Ranch and Italian dressing

Beef Option
    Roasted Prime Rib of Beef 8oz Thick Cut Roasted to Perfection and served with Natural Au Jus and Creamy Horseradish Sauce $49

Poultry Option
    Chicken Alexandria Pan Seared and Brushed with Honey Mustard Crusted with a Mixture of Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds and Sundried Cranberries Set on Sautéed Baby Spinach Sauced with Calvados Buerre Blanc $46

Seafood Option
    Salmon Americana Pan Seared and Topped with Shrimp and Scallops with Lobster Crème $46

Vegetarian Entrée
    Roasted Vegetable Pasta Portobello Mushrooms, Zucchini, Asparagus, Baby Bok Choy and Grilled Artichokes Nestled on a Bed of Pappardelle Pasta. Complimented with a Sundried Tomato Asiago Broth $40

Dessert Options at alternating seats
    Flourless Chocolate Cake, Topped with White Chocolate Crème and garnished with Fresh Kiwi and Strawberries
    Cheesecake, Rich New York Cheesecake with Raspberry Infusion in a Graham Cracker Crust

Posted 6 months ago #
  3. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will make the pilgrimage again this year!

90 minute drive doesn't hurt

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gentlemen, Do you know someone that has been in the pipe community for at least 10 years, 45 years old or younger and worthy of recognition for their efforts to advance our hobby? If so, please nominate them for Masters of Pipes program. We need nominations for both those who work in the industry, and those who are involved in the pipe smoking / collecting hobby. Perhaps one of our Mods would meet this criteria.

The link below describes the program and the requirements. You make your nomination on this site also.

https://www.chicagopipeshow.com/master-program/

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you want to book a room at Pheasant Run, here is the booking link:

https://reservations.travelclick.com/2932?groupID=2012719

You could also call the hotel direct at 630-584-6300 or 800-474-3272

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On Thursday, May 2nd, Sutliff will be presenting a seminar on blending tobacco, in the smoking tent. We are still working on the details, but it should be similar to the class from two years ago. Each student used clay pipes to taste each component tobacco, (YES! Straight Perique!) and then combined the components into his preferred blend. They used pressure to mimic the aging / blending process. Thus each student was able to tweak their blend to their liking. They went home with a large quantity of their special blend. (Don't ask how much, since I don't know.)

We are working with Sutliff to iron out the details, like time, # of students, cost, etc. But, if you are interested in this event, please e-mail me at cpccdirector@gmail.com to register. Since this class will be limited to 10 people, (+/- depending on final decision), register soon.

I really wish I had the chance to take a class like this when I first started smoking a pipe. Why buy a blend that you won't smoke?

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If anyone would like to have a table at the Chicago Pipe Show, please contact Craig Cobine at porshcigar@aol.com

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On Sunday, May 5th, the UPCA (United Pipe Clubs of America) Slow Smoke Contest will be held in the Smoking Tent. The link below provides all the details on the contest. There is a picture of the pipe and description of the tobacco that will be used. The cost is $85, unless you belong to a pipe club that is part of the UPCA. Then the cost is only $75.

https://upca.clubexpress.com/

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For those who are intrigued by the pipe carving class, I HIGHLY recommend it. It’s a tremendous, tremendous bargain. Last year’s class, which I participated in, was taught by Lee Erck, Jeff Gracik, Ernie Markle, Rex Poggenpohl (former repairman for IRC), and Andy Peterson. Carvers like Manduela, Scott Klein, and Alex Florov dropped in, too. There was a mix of complete rookies and others who had a few dozen pipes under their belts. The teachers were all extremely patient and encouraging. It’s not the least bit intimidating.

You’re given your choice of pipe kit, provided by Steve Norse of Vermont Freehand, so they were of good quality. Lee Erck helped me select a particularly good one. All the equipment, save the small bandsaws, are of excellent quality and there’s even a sandblaster. You’ll end up with a pipe you can be proud of.

It runs the Wednesday and Thursday before the show, so it’s a commitment, but rest assured, there are plenty of folks already at the show. The smoking tent is open that entire period, so evenings are a great opportunity to enjoy the tent before the masses descend on Friday. Don’t delay if you want to take the class. Enrollment is limited to 12, I believe.

One final note. This is a pipe carving and finishing class. You do not learn to drill the pipe. After having completed this class, however, you can take the drilling class in a subsequent year. That class is limited, I believe, to 2 or 3 and takes place before the carving and finishing class.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Wish I could be there, but Warners calls and I must pass for this year.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. scotties22

scotties22

Login to Send PM

So I called Pheasant Run today to book my room. The girl on the phone said she had no idea what I was talking about when I said I needed a room for the pipe show weekend. She didn't show any type of special rate in their system at all for the show and she said they didn't have any rooms available for Friday or Saturday night.

Soooo...I found the link in Winton's post while I was on the phone with her. I pulled it up and there's rooms aplenty. I gave her the group # and the code # that showed up after I booked my room on the website. She said it still didn't show anything. And she was shocked that I booked a suite for $175 per night when in her system is was $269 for Wed/Thus/Sun and $399 for Fri/Sat.

Fair warning....use the link to book online and skip the phone call. The girl I spoke with even asked her supervisor and the supervisor didn't know anything about a group rate for the pipe show for that weekend.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This will be my first year there. I am very excited.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wish I could be there, but Warners calls and I must pass for this year.

That "being good at what you do" privateer gig is gonna grab you EVERY year, you know.

Either start doing shitty animation or win the lottery or something, OK? The PIPEWORLD wants you in Chicago, dammit.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This will be my first year there. I am very excited.

Game on brother! I can’t wait to smoke a pipe with you.

Neal
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

OK, I’m only 3 hours away now and may have to see if I can book this on my schedule. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last year was my first time. I'd love to go again this year, but I don't think I can swing it financially this year.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The "Really Big Show" is always a treat. Looking forward to the event as always. There is nothing that can compare in size and attendance. Be there........

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 4 months ago #
  18. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wasn't there a bunch of pipes and cash robbery there last year?

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ll be there

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  20. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stolen-pipes-from-chicago-pipe-show

Here are the details of the robbery. Moral of story, be careful when you are carrying large sums of money.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The tobacco blending seminar will take place in the smoking tent at 10:00 am on Thursday morning. The cost will be $20, payable before we start. We have room for 20 people and six have already confirmed they want to participate. If you want to be part of this, please PM with your name and confirmation you will be able to attend. I will keep track of everyone, in case more than 20 people want to take part in the fun.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't travel right now but will enjoy vicariously. scotties22 difficulties with the booking over the phone reflects widespread troubles with under-trained uninformed staff, possibly intelligent people, but with insufficient information and skills. We've (wife and I) have run into this regularly recently with pharma companies, up-market hair styling salons (for my wife's birthday), and many other instances. I repeatedly am told at the customer service desk that a store doesn't have an item, so I go look for it and find it right there on the shelf in good supply. Wha??? Likewise people can't direct you to places in the building or shopping district where they work. These aren't people on toll-free phones from another continent. These are locals, "professionals." I try not to get mad. It's like dealing with small children.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

THE CHICAGOLAND INTERNATIONAL PIPE & TOBACCIANA SHOW
    2019 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

WEDNESDAY May 1, 2019
    9 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required
    12 pm Chicago Pipe Show 6,000 square foot smoking tent opens

THURSDAY May 2, 2019
    8 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required
    10 am Per Jensen Mac Baren Sutliff Tobacco Blending Seminar, Tent

FRIDAY May 3, 2019
    8 am – 4 pm, Smoke and Swap, Tent (6 am vendor line up, 8 am set up)
    9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for Virginia Flakes opens in the tent.
    9:30 am – 4:30 pm Champagne Limo to Premium Outlet Mall, Hotel Lobby
    12 pm – 5 pm Welcome Table, Hotel across from indoor/outdoor pool
    3 pm – 5pm UPCA Annual Meeting, Ruby Room (Tower)
    4 pm Mega Center Rich Esserman 1928 Dunhill Catalog New Printing Presentation Mega Center
    7 pm – 10 pm Welcome Buffet Dinner, St. Charles Ballroom
    7:30 pm presentations at Welcome Dinner
    8:30 pm International Charatan Collectors Society, Ruby Room (Tower)
    8:30 pm Ladies’ Tobacco Related Arts & Craft Program, Turquoise Room (Tower)
    9: 00 pm The Making of the Peterson Pipe Book: The Story of the Peterson Pipe Book:
    The Story of Kapp and Peterson. This will be followed by the showing of the vintage Sherlock Holmes Movie, House of Fear and a contest to name the pipes in the movie: Mega Center
    9:00 pm Tim West Pipe Repairmen Forum, Jade Room (Tower)
    9 pm Rob Cooper (Coopersark) State of the Market Estate Pipes & Tobacco, Sapphire Room (Tower)

SATURDAY May 4, 2019
    7 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center
    10 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center
    10 am Peterson Pipe Historic Display
    9 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for Virginia Flakes opens in the Show.
    11 am – 3+ pm Silent Auction, Mega Center
    12 pm Private Ladies’ Luncheon for Exhibitors, St. Charles Ballroom Salons 5 & 6
    7 pm The Chicago Feast Banquet, New Orleans Ballroom, pre-registration required
    9 pm Doctor of Pipes and Master of Pipes Meeting, Arnold Palmer Suite (Tower)

SUNDAY MAY 5, 2019
    6:30 – 9:30 am Pipe Show Breakfast, St. Charles Ballroom, Salons I, III, IV
    8 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center
    9 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center
    11 am Chicago Bowl, the pipe smoker’s award for Virginia Flake ends..
    12 pm Show Awards Presentation, Mega Center
    1 pm UPCA United States of America National Pipe Smoking Championship, Tent

MONDAY MAY 6, 2019
    8 am – 12 pm Post Show, Terrace Café Area

Please keep in mind that all of the above activities are subject to change or cancellation, even at the last minute, due to illness or unforeseen circumstances.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This seems to happen every year...

9:00pm Friday is a "featured" time slot, so most of the presentations you want to see happen simultaneously.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George, agreed. It's a tough call, but I've been waiting for the KP book for years. I'll be at Mark Irwin's (et al) talk in the Mega Center.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nod, sorry for the late reply but I am very much looking forward to that.

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

I'd love to go but can't make it happen this year. I do humbly request from those of you who do attend, please post tons of pictures

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe Blow

Login to Send PM

My first pipe show too, and I'm very excited to be attending!

For those who have attended before - what is your recommendation for money? Bring cash, or are there suitable facilities to withdraw cash at the venue?

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are ATMs and few banks nearby, PNC Bank, TCF Bank and US Bank. I bring cash.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cash. And/or a PayPal account.

Is there a posted list of the exhibitors anywhere?

Posted 3 months ago #
  31. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, we keep track of who has paid for their tables. There will be maps of the MegaCenter that show the table arraignment and also who will be at which tables.

Normally, people like to have the same table that they had last year. We try to satisfy these requests.

Posted 3 months ago #
  32. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Winton, I was hoping you could post the list here. If not, understood. Thanks.

Posted 3 months ago #
  33. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is presently around 8:00 am Wednesday 4/24, and the Smoking Tent does NOT open in exactly a week! It opens around noon, next Wednesday. Regardless of all the tables and comfy chairs already arraigned for smoking and conversations, the tent is not open until the Fire Marshall completes his final inspection.

Don't ask how I know this.

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. ocpsdan

Dan

Login to Send PM

I always look forward to this show. It doesn't matter that it's my tenth year attending, I still lose sleep as it approaches from looking forward to everything. Hope to see you all there!

Posted 2 months ago #
  35. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m going to have a table this year. My first time doing that. Come see me at The Pipery. I can’t wait.

Posted 2 months ago #
  36. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you are wondering what to pack, it will be between 40's and 60's during the show. Since I don't like to use 4 letter words, I won't say what is supposed to fall this weekend.

Posted 2 months ago #
  37. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to it. I'll be there on Saturday.

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wonder if there are any tables left. Having launched a pipe company last week, it is short notice but I'm thinking that I should have snagged a table or found someone willing to sell half.

Posted 2 months ago #
  39. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As of last Saturday, there were four tables available. I believe you can send an email to the same address as for the dinner reservations: PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM

Posted 2 months ago #
  40. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you.

Posted 2 months ago #
  41. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This will be my first year staying at the lodge instead of across the street. Thus, a little rain wouldn't be so bad. However, that means more people crammed in to the smoking tent. If it is muggy due to damp weather, it will get pretty boggy with smoke in that space 8O.

Posted 2 months ago #
  42. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The forecast is improving for the weekend! It's been cold, wet, and even snowy here in Chicago. Nice to see Spring arriving for the show.

Posted 2 months ago #
  43. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weather is looking up. Thanks to Lucky I have a table to share, looking like a great first Chicago show.

Posted 2 months ago #
  44. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I plan on attending rain or shine.

Posted 2 months ago #
  45. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great to hear, Crash. Lucky is a wonderful guy. I’m sure you’ll enjoy sharing his table.

Posted 2 months ago #
  46. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

Keeps me from having to spread my own stuff out too thin, _and _ I can get up and look around the show for a few minutes every coupla hours.

Posted 2 months ago #
  47. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll miss the show this year, but what I'll miss most is that stuffed biscuit at Buttermilk in Geneva. It is the best breakfast item I've ever eaten.

Posted 2 months ago #
  48. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This show date is always awful timing for me at work. A bunch of my local pipe club buddies are enroute. Maybe one of these years.

Al

Posted 2 months ago #
  49. dino

dino

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll see y'all at the Show! Sue Bender and I will be at the check-in desk on Saturday morning.
    Make sure you say "Hello" and let me know your Forum identity.

Posted 2 months ago #
  50. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Headed to the resort. Looking forward to seeing everyone who can attend.

Posted 2 months ago #
  51. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

See you all tomorrow. You should be able to pick me out by my resting bitch face

Posted 2 months ago #
  52. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

That's not really a distinguishing characteristic in this crowd.

I was just telling some guys in the smoking tent that if there was a beard-based drinking game, I would be passed out on the floor by now.

Posted 2 months ago #
  53. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1
    I’d already be on the ground, so you would have cushion to fall on. It was great meeting you today. Hopefully we have more time to chat proper tonight or tomorrow.

Posted 2 months ago #
  54. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 months ago #
  55. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s on

Posted 2 months ago #
  56. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was great seeing both of you and a few others. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Posted 2 months ago #
  57. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Spent a couple of hours at the pipe show today. Bought my first meerschaum and also bought a pipe from crashthegrey. Talked with crash and chilllucky for a bit. It was awesome to meet them in person...great guys. I just might go back tomorrow.

Posted 2 months ago #
  58. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks to be a fun time is being had by all!

Posted 2 months ago #
  59. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Missed it this year (and last for that matter). Thanks for posting some pix,

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  60. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

Thinking about driving down tomorrow. I've never been. Is it worth a 4-hour round trip to catch the last couple hours? Or is it usually pretty much over by Sunday afternoon?

Posted 2 months ago #
  61. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'd love to see more pictures. I was hoping to attend this year, but it just wasn't in the cards. And as it so happens, due to a sudden emergency at work, I would have had to cancel at the last minute even if I had booked the flight and a room. So let's see some more pix!

Posted 2 months ago #
  62. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was great to meet many of the forum members this show. Cheers to all. Here are a few pictures. Mary Walter (@BriarWitch) did a great job capturing some high resolution images.

Kathy And Shaun From Cup O' Joe's. GREAT PEOPLE!

Pre Show

Early morning today, cleaning up after the late party.

Posted 2 months ago #
  63. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bamboo Gamnut from Bullfrog Pipes (Australia)

Posted 2 months ago #
  64. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sabina Santos showcasing her wonderful Calabash

Posted 2 months ago #
  65. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. I love the beauty in both the tamper and pipe. It's an art-form.

Edit: And a lovely lady as well!

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 2 months ago #
  66. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 months ago #
  67. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up a few tins of Cornell & Diehl’s Virginia/Oriental they made especially for the show. I can’t wait to try it; maybe next year’s show would be a good time and place to crack open the first tin

Posted 2 months ago #
  68. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

Apparently, I stunk so bad from being in the tent for a coupla hours before I left that they thought I had been smoking in the rental car when I returned it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  69. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bamboo Gamnut from Bullfrog Pipes (Australia)

Very impressive, beautiful pipe.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 months ago #
  70. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did they charge you, Lucky? I don’t smoke in our cars, so when I get home from a cigar shop or pipe event, I park the car in the garage with the windows open. I have FreshWave sachets that I sometimes use, too. Gotta keep my bride happy!

Posted 2 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jfred, donjgiles, jabomano, jojoc, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes, mindglue, craig61a, jravenwood