PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
It is time to schedule your vacation to the Chicago Pipe Show, at Pheasant Run in Saint Charles. The event starts on Wednesday, May 1st. The big show is on Saturday and Sunday, May 4-5. I am predicting that the weather in the Smoking Tent will be cloudy the entire time!
The first event is the Pipe Finishing Seminar, on Wednesday and Thursday. For $125, you will be provided a briar block, with the holes drilled. Several top carvers will teach you how to turn this block into a pipe. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time sanding! There will also be an opportunity for several students to also attend a class on how to drill the holes for the pipe. The cost for both would be $175.
If you are interested, please contact Craig Cobine, at PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM to register and pay the fees.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
On Saturday night, there will be a dinner at the New Orleans ballroom at Pheasant Run. After this elegant meal, the new Doctors and Masters of Pipes will be presented. There will also be a raffle for several boxes of cigars. Please contact Craig Cobine at PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM to register. Pheasant Run needs to know how many dinners to expect.
All prices inclusive of tax and service fee
Traditional Garden Salad with Ranch and Italian dressing
Beef Option

Roasted Prime Rib of Beef 8oz Thick Cut Roasted to Perfection and served with Natural Au Jus and Creamy Horseradish Sauce $49
Poultry Option

Chicken Alexandria Pan Seared and Brushed with Honey Mustard Crusted with a Mixture of Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds and Sundried Cranberries Set on Sautéed Baby Spinach Sauced with Calvados Buerre Blanc $46
Seafood Option

Salmon Americana Pan Seared and Topped with Shrimp and Scallops with Lobster Crème $46
Vegetarian Entrée

Roasted Vegetable Pasta Portobello Mushrooms, Zucchini, Asparagus, Baby Bok Choy and Grilled Artichokes Nestled on a Bed of Pappardelle Pasta. Complimented with a Sundried Tomato Asiago Broth $40
Dessert Options at alternating seats

Flourless Chocolate Cake, Topped with White Chocolate Crème and garnished with Fresh Kiwi and Strawberries

Cheesecake, Rich New York Cheesecake with Raspberry Infusion in a Graham Cracker Crust

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Gentlemen, Do you know someone that has been in the pipe community for at least 10 years, 45 years old or younger and worthy of recognition for their efforts to advance our hobby? If so, please nominate them for Masters of Pipes program. We need nominations for both those who work in the industry, and those who are involved in the pipe smoking / collecting hobby. Perhaps one of our Mods would meet this criteria.
The link below describes the program and the requirements. You make your nomination on this site also.
https://www.chicagopipeshow.com/master-program/

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If you want to book a room at Pheasant Run, here is the booking link:
https://reservations.travelclick.com/2932?groupID=2012719
You could also call the hotel direct at 630-584-6300 or 800-474-3272

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
On Thursday, May 2nd, Sutliff will be presenting a seminar on blending tobacco, in the smoking tent. We are still working on the details, but it should be similar to the class from two years ago. Each student used clay pipes to taste each component tobacco, (YES! Straight Perique!) and then combined the components into his preferred blend. They used pressure to mimic the aging / blending process. Thus each student was able to tweak their blend to their liking. They went home with a large quantity of their special blend. (Don't ask how much, since I don't know.)
We are working with Sutliff to iron out the details, like time, # of students, cost, etc. But, if you are interested in this event, please e-mail me at cpccdirector@gmail.com to register. Since this class will be limited to 10 people, (+/- depending on final decision), register soon.
I really wish I had the chance to take a class like this when I first started smoking a pipe. Why buy a blend that you won't smoke?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If anyone would like to have a table at the Chicago Pipe Show, please contact Craig Cobine at porshcigar@aol.com

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
On Sunday, May 5th, the UPCA (United Pipe Clubs of America) Slow Smoke Contest will be held in the Smoking Tent. The link below provides all the details on the contest. There is a picture of the pipe and description of the tobacco that will be used. The cost is $85, unless you belong to a pipe club that is part of the UPCA. Then the cost is only $75.
https://upca.clubexpress.com/

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
For those who are intrigued by the pipe carving class, I HIGHLY recommend it. It’s a tremendous, tremendous bargain. Last year’s class, which I participated in, was taught by Lee Erck, Jeff Gracik, Ernie Markle, Rex Poggenpohl (former repairman for IRC), and Andy Peterson. Carvers like Manduela, Scott Klein, and Alex Florov dropped in, too. There was a mix of complete rookies and others who had a few dozen pipes under their belts. The teachers were all extremely patient and encouraging. It’s not the least bit intimidating.
You’re given your choice of pipe kit, provided by Steve Norse of Vermont Freehand, so they were of good quality. Lee Erck helped me select a particularly good one. All the equipment, save the small bandsaws, are of excellent quality and there’s even a sandblaster. You’ll end up with a pipe you can be proud of.
It runs the Wednesday and Thursday before the show, so it’s a commitment, but rest assured, there are plenty of folks already at the show. The smoking tent is open that entire period, so evenings are a great opportunity to enjoy the tent before the masses descend on Friday. Don’t delay if you want to take the class. Enrollment is limited to 12, I believe.
One final note. This is a pipe carving and finishing class. You do not learn to drill the pipe. After having completed this class, however, you can take the drilling class in a subsequent year. That class is limited, I believe, to 2 or 3 and takes place before the carving and finishing class.

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
So I called Pheasant Run today to book my room. The girl on the phone said she had no idea what I was talking about when I said I needed a room for the pipe show weekend. She didn't show any type of special rate in their system at all for the show and she said they didn't have any rooms available for Friday or Saturday night.
Soooo...I found the link in Winton's post while I was on the phone with her. I pulled it up and there's rooms aplenty. I gave her the group # and the code # that showed up after I booked my room on the website. She said it still didn't show anything. And she was shocked that I booked a suite for $175 per night when in her system is was $269 for Wed/Thus/Sun and $399 for Fri/Sat.
Fair warning....use the link to book online and skip the phone call. The girl I spoke with even asked her supervisor and the supervisor didn't know anything about a group rate for the pipe show for that weekend.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Wish I could be there, but Warners calls and I must pass for this year.
That "being good at what you do" privateer gig is gonna grab you EVERY year, you know.
Either start doing shitty animation or win the lottery or something, OK? The PIPEWORLD wants you in Chicago, dammit. :evil:

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
OK, I’m only 3 hours away now and may have to see if I can book this on my schedule. Thanks for the heads up.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
The "Really Big Show" is always a treat. Looking forward to the event as always. There is nothing that can compare in size and attendance. Be there........

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stolen-pipes-from-chicago-pipe-show
Here are the details of the robbery. Moral of story, be careful when you are carrying large sums of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.