PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Hello to all who are interested in 2012 Chicago Pipe Show.
Over the next several days I will be posting here about some, but not all, events at the 2012 Show:
The Friday morning event formerly known as the “Pre-Show” will now be the “Smoke and Swap” . We had comments last year about wanting a more informal event, in a place where it easier to hang out, a place to eat, drink and smoke where pipes and tobacco’s could be sold and traded, while smoking.
This year, the Smoke and Swap will be in the 6000 square foot smoking tent on May 4th, 2012. 80 - ½ table places will be available on a first come/first served basis starting at 8 am (or as soon as the tables are set up by hotel staff) for those wanting to sell. There will be no reservations, no line, no numbers, and no charge. Just come in, choose an available chair, and set up your ½ table space. Use it until 4pm, or leave when you like. Once you leave, the ½ table space is available for another seller to take your place.
The Swap and Smoke will open to the buyers from 9 am to 4pm. There is no charge.
Smoking is encouraged.
Pheasant Run Resort will have food and drink available in the tent during regular business hours at reasonable prices.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Today’s update post is about Pipe Displays. An important part of every pipe show is the display of pipe collections. Each year, the Chicago Show invites several pipe collectors to exhibit their collection in locked glass display cases that are in front of the Mega Center hall.
This year the following individuals have graciously agreed to display a portion of their pipe collections in the CPCC Educational Glass Display Cases in the Mega Center, as follows:
DUSTIN BABITZKE will display pipes from his collection of blowfish pipes.
BOBBY EINHORN will display pipes his entire collection of Charatan pipes.
PAIGE SIMMS will display pipes from his collection of large squat bulldog pipes.
LARRY VOORHEES will display pipes from his collection of GBD Uniques.

The Chicago Pipe Show thanks these men for all the time, work, and effort to bring these wonderful pipes to Chicago so that all of us can see these great collections. Please be sure to make time during your visit to the Chicago Pipe Show to see these four beautiful collections.
Also, don't forget to make your hotel reservations as soon as possible at Pheasant Run Resort. Be sure to mention the Pipe Show when you make your reservations so that the Show gets credit for you, and you get the show special rates of $155.00 for tower rooms and $109 for courtyard rooms.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Today’s post is about one of our great speakers this year, Mr. Ben Rapaport. Ben is one of the world’s best known and highly regarded experts on antique pipes, and pipe literature. He has spoken several times at the Chicago Pipe Show in the past, and now Ben Rapaport has agreed to speak again in 2012.
At 8:45 pm on Friday, May 4th, 2012, Ben will speak in the second floor Turquoise Room in the Tower at Pheasant Run. PUT THIS ON YOUR PERSONAL SHOW SCHEDULE, because you don’t want to miss this.
Here is Ben’s abstract of his presentation:
TEN TRUE TOBACCO TALES (CPCC Show, May 2012)

Abstract: This is an informal talk about my 50+ years of pipe- and book-collecting, the insights and lessons learned that I gained from interacting with museum curators, authors, and fellow collectors in travels around the world. The focus is on collecting anything that is tobacco-related, whether it’s the A (amber) to Z (zebrawood) of new, vintage or antique tobacco pipes, or tobacco tins, tampers, jars, pipe art, books, et al.

I detail ten somewhat interrelated real-world events in this arcane hobby that occurred in the recent past, situations that any of us can encounter or be faced with—a few are tragic, a few tearful, all truthful—and their real-world consequences/repercussions. From each of these events I have derived important “takeaways” that are applicable today and tomorrow for every collector of tobacciana. Come, listen and learn about the mistakes, misfortunes, and missteps of others, and profit from them!

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
The post for today will be about the Dunhill Focus Group.
Each year a group of Dunhill collectors and smokers gather at the show to talk, to display and to learn about Dunhill pipes. This year, the moderator of the Dunhill Focus Group will be Louise Pavonetti Jones of Hermit Tobacco Works Company.
Last year, Louise and her beloved husband, Jay Jones, won the Best in Show Award at the Dunhill Focus Group for a display from the Hermit Dunhill collection. Jay was an important man in the Dunhill Group, as well as an important pipe seller at the Chicago Show, and most other pipe shows around the country. His untimely death last year was a tremendous loss for the pipe world. We will all miss Jay, and there will be a memory book for Jay at the Show so that we can all express the many happy memories of Jay Jones. Fortunately, Louise will carry on the great tradition of Hermit Tobacco works at the Dunhill group, and as a major pipe seller at the Show.
The Dunhill Focus Group 2012 will meet in the Ruby Room on the second floor in the Tower at Pheasant Run Resort. The meeting will take place at 5 pm on Thursday, May 3rd, 2012. Speakers, in addition to Louise, will include Bob Noble, Rob Cooper (Coopersark on eBay), and Craig Cobine.
This year the focus is on “Your First Dunhill”. Everyone is invited to attend, and to bring and show your first Dunhill pipe to show and/or to discuss. Everyone remembers their first Dunhill, even if was traded long ago. If you still have it, if you still love it, come and talk about it. The Dunhill Focus Group 2012.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I will be conducting a seminar entitled

Clandestine Merchandizing Spin-Offs

From Pipe Related Publications

( or "How Kevin Made Me Rich" )

Propellerbeanie-1.jpg

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Its finally Friday, and time to talk about golf at the 2012 Chicago Pipe Show. The Show is held at a great resort, which offers many activities. A spa, a swimming pool, a workout room, great restaurants, and a beautiful golf course are all there.
The Pheasant Run Golf Course is offering special rates to those who are attending the Show. A round of golf, with cart included, is only $39.00 on weekdays and $45.00 on the weekend. There is also a 15% discount on most in stock, regularly priced merchandise in the Pheasant Run Resort Golf Shop.
In order to get this special, you must tell the golf shop that you are with the Show and want the special rates, or present the golf flyer. Golf flyers will be at the Show.
Due to a number of circumstances, and most of all due to a series of rain-outs, we don’t have the golf outing that we had for a number of years. However, there is nothing preventing you and your friends from having a round of golf at these special prices while you attend the Show.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Two of the 2012 Show seminar speakers will be speaking in the smoking tent this year.
Prior to 2008, all of our seminars were smoke friendly, and were very well attended. Since the Illinois smoking ban on indoor smoking went into effect, we have had a drop off in attendance at seminars in the Tower meeting rooms at Pheasant Run. We know that is because many of our Show participants want to smoke in the evenings, and they stay in the tent.
So, this year we are moving more Show events into the 6000 square foot smoking tent. Two of this year’s speakers will give their presentations in the tent this year. We will be setting up a “theater” style seating in the rear of the tent so that our seminars can be enjoyed while smoking.
The first ever to deliver a Show seminar in the tent will be Mr. Kevin Godbee, Publisher and Editor in Chief of PipesMagazine.com
Kevin will present his State of the Union Address, which he has described as follow:
You might be surprised to find out where our centuries-old, pipe & tobacco hobby stands today, in the year 2012. Find out from the perspective of an individual that has had the unique opportunity to participate in both the hobbyist community, and the business-side of pipes & tobaccos.

As the Publisher & Editor-in-Chief of PipesMagazine.com, Kevin Godbee has visited, and interviewed several major industry participants including; Mac Baren, Cornell & Diehl, Scandinavian Tobacco Group, Todd McCranie, Erik Stokkebye, Sykes Wilford of SmokingPipes.com, Mark Ryan of L.A. Poche Perique, Joel Sherman of Nat Sherman, Gregory L. Pease, and many others. He also participates in the online forums and smokes a pipe on a daily basis.

PipesMagazine.com has become the #1 source for pipes and pipe tobacco information including; articles, interviews, advice, tobacco reviews and occasional breaking news.
Kevin has a unique background and is very well qualified to speaking about pipes and cigars on the internet. Kevin started smoking pipes and cigars in 1998 and started an online cigar magazine & community site in 2005. (The site was acquired in 2008 and no longer exists.) He launched PipesMagazine.com in 2009, and in less than three years the site has become the largest trafficked pipe smoking related site, and the #1 Source for Pipes and Pipe Tobacco Information.

In the beginning of his career, Kevin worked in the hobby and specialty toy business for 16 years in sales, marketing, advertising and product development for three different manufacturers, and with his own company.

Over the last 10 years working in the online business, he has become an expert in Internet Marketing and SEO. Kevin is a Certified Master Tobacconist (CMT) through Tobacconist University, a member of Cigar Rights of America and is a Media Member of the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association.
Since you are reading this on PipesMagazine.com, you will want to hear this presentation by Kevin on Friday night, in the smoking tent at 9 PM.
On Saturday night, in the smoking tent, Mr. Rob Cooper will present "The State of the Estate Pipe Market 2012".
Mr. Cooper is the renowned “ Coopersark”, seller of high grade pipes on eBay.
Rob will offer his expertise on the Estate Pipe Market, as he has done annually for the last several years. Rob is famous for his straightforward approach to the age old question: “My pipe collection is worth, What?” Mr. Cooper will make his presentation about 2012 trends for estate pipe purchases and sales, and then accept questions and discussions from the audience.
If you are interested in buying and/or selling pipes, and everyone at the Show is interested in this topic, you will want to attend. This is one seminar that you need to prepare to attend: Think of your questions in advance, and be ready to present them to Rob and the audience at large at 9:30 PM Saturday in the smoking tent. Be ready to present your point of view on the estate market.
This will be a popular and spirited discussion on the value of your collection. Don’t miss it!

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
you will want to hear this presentation by Kevin on Friday night, in the smoking tent at 9 PM.
Okay, I have been reading these updates about the show, but I have to draw the line here.
Instead of a Friday night fellowship and smoke in the tent, at 9 PM, we have to be subjected to... Kevin? Giving a speech? Seriously?
I can't wait to hear what Kevin has to say, because I am absolutely sure it is important enough to pre-empt everyone's fun and good times. Yay. It's exactly what I want to do at 9 PM on a Friday night. I am excited beyond belief.
Will there also be a power point presentation, breakout sessions, and mind-maps? Will we facilitate a webinar, right-size our synergies, and think outside the box? Will we drill down, iron out our deliverables, and maximize our outcomes? Let me get my calendar out and FYI my ETA is TBA.
Kevin man, you better be ready to shuck the corn dude. If you don't show up at this speech prepared to rock that crowd like Anthony Robbins, with a side order of Sam Kinison and a holiness preacher, there will be a revolt. There will be a commotion, a hubbub, and a full-blown mutiny. There will be a fuss, an insurrection, an agitation, and ballyhoo. Someone will be bound to stand up and say, "Kevin, you are childish man!! Drinking and carousing rules, and one day blow PM off the WEB!!!1!1"
In all seriousness, compared to the reception you got last year (aka, the sound of one hand clapping), I am hoping this year people take notice. I really am man. And I have a very good idea to make sure. Prior to the speech, you should distribute a few tins of a new "test blend" you concoct the previous night. Make sure everyone partakes as they come in the tent. This blend will consist of 1Q mixed with a few grams of uncut Peruvian coke. There will be plenty of paying attention to you then, dude. You will have everyone's full attention. Then, you can begin your laser-driven multimedia slideshow/feature installation complete with smoke bombs, dry ice, and you can channel Frank T.J. Mackey in "Magnolia" while the crowd goes completely insane and needs to be hosed down with fire hoses from the St. Charles Fire Department in order to calm themselves.
Good luck.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
At my seminar, which will be conducted at the same time,

I'm rolling-out my new line of pipe babe lingerie with live models. :nana:
I'm guessing a lot of guys will show up to see Lawrence (pstlpkr) in a bra and panties. :rofl:

pstlpkr.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I wouldn't worry about Kevin taking up too much valuable smoke time. I envision Kevin's speech to go like this: "The State of the Union of Pipe Smoking is as follows... Borkum Riff. Thank you very much." And he sits down to thunderous applause.

Status
Not open for further replies.