Tags:  No tags yet. 

Chicago PAD Score Report

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by samcoffeeman
  • Latest reply from jmill208
  1. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

So I finally have a day off to share my PAD scores from Chicago.  I bought one pipe for myself and an estate score for restos.

The personal pipe is from a new carver, new to Philadelphia migrated from California, Max Capps.  I've been checking out his work for a bit, since he has been coming to the Morley's pipe club.  He has extensive restoration experience which has translated well in some aspects to his carving.  His blast work is excellent, as is his shaping and engineering.  He's made very bent pipes that pass pipe cleaners, although mine is a straight.  He has resourced some interesting materials for accents, including the (spalted?) redwood on this straight saddle apple.  He likes to to convex rims on his pipes, which is a feature I like.  His stamp is lasercut, which makes for a deep clean stamp.  The only issue is the stem/button thickness.  This is not a clenching pipe.  The thickness at the button is near on 5mm.  He did this intentionally, to add some extra meat for stem biters.  I think he has gotten enough feedback that he will be altering this part of his work in the future for more comfort.  Pipers generally value comfort over thickness.  His stems tend to have a wide button and very deep and wide slot.  I would recommend buying one, but have the opportunity to get one in hand and see if the features are up your alley in person.  I can't give a smoking report on it yet, only smoked it once so far and wasn't a familiar tobacco.  It is a large size and weighs in at 55grams , which is decent considering the size.

Also, on the last day, picked up an estate score.  Right place, right time, was looking at a table and guy walks up and asks the guy behind the table, "You know anyone who wants to buy some high grade estates?"  Guy behind the table started pointing him in some direction and I said Hey, whatcha got?  Opens up a box with some real nice pipes and worked the deal out, wrote a check and here below are the pipes:

From the top:  Unsmoked Becker, CHP-X, Stokkebye by Jorgen Larsen(pencil shank dublin), Savinelli Autograph, Dunhill Cumberland ODA, Dunhill Shell 6109, Becker 3 Hearts, Castello Sea Rock KKKK, Savinelli Non-Pareil and another Castello Sea Rock G.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oooh-la-la, the mother lode. Some fabulous grain there, and also some of the most handsome rusticated Canadians I've seen.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn Sam you're almost as bad an enabler as Peck, sweet group, enjoy!
    banjo

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. monty55

monty55

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Jackpot! Nice haul my friend. Love the stem on that Capps!

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice score Sam. It was a pleasure meeting you at the show, and thanks for putting up with my unusual driving style.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bump

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow Sam, you have scored some of the nicest pipes there are. Well done! The blast on that first pipe is mesmerizing.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Peck- the best part of being at the show was getting to meet some of the knuckleheads from here in person.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Wow...nice score

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Sam has a great eye at a pipe show, his pictures show the results!

I did check out some Maxx (Gary Malberg's son) pipes at the last Philly club meeting. He had a Dunhill LC replica that was amazing, I'm sure it sold at the show (Super thin, rounded bent shank - his passed a cleaner!)

Al

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. antbauers

antbauers

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right place, right time....

I love it when that happens!

Very nice batch! Should be a straight forward and easy clean resto.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great buy!

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Looks like only a light resto is needed at best. Great haul, Sam.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   birdnerd75, codecreatively, lawayna