PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeMarc

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
South East
hello friends. Anyone have any experience with cutting a plug / rope and chewing it like other smokeless tobaccos? I have been experimenting with it and find it incredibly satisfying. Now looking for maybe sweeter plugs other than SG brown boogie.??

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
All the time. It's what ropes and twists were made for - smoking and chewing.
Same here, I'll cut boggie thin and let it sit between the cheek and jaw and irish brown rope gets treated more like a loose leaf chewing tobacco. Buy it cheap and stack it deep :)

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
My grandpa chewed rope. When he was done he’d let it dry out on a rafter out in his skunk shack.

Later, he’d find a dry one and stuff it in his pipe.

I want to throw up a little now....

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I love the twice use thinking behind this. Chewing was a disaster the times I tried it, and to think putting high-nic tobacco into the equation seems sooooo inadvisable.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
It seems I can only find Sg blends in the rope cut. Any other brand suggestions?
I'm pretty sure Sam Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth are the only "readily" accessible options. At least in the States. There are a few others like Cotton Boll, but as I understand, it's really geared more towards the chewing aspect, but can be smoked.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Re: Twice use...

Pa was 14 in the Dustbowl of Pampa TX when the Great Depression hit.

Absolutely everything was used at least twice.

I’ve got his pipes, a Grabow and a Dunhill.

I received his pipes back in ‘97, which sparked many a bowl afterward.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Plugs and twists are readily available here in my neck of the woods. Just about every grocery store carries these.
Cotton Boll, Mammoth Cave, King B and Sweet Kentucky Twist are pretty common. A multitude of plugs and loose leaf chews can be found as well.
As for snuffs, well, there's a lot of different kinds. The price on these have went up dramatically in the last few years, though.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Certain plugs lend themselves to being chewed. I have found Warrior Plug makes a very satisfying chew as do several twists although I have never been partial to smoking flavored stuff. I have related on here that before WW1 it was quite common for men to chew tobacco and then put the resulting crud in their hat to dry out before smoking it in their pipe.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I chew of all kinds of leaf. Was a Copenhagen guy for a long time and then went to General Snus (great stuff btw). I got off Snus just by throwing in a small piece top-lipped.

Christmas Cheer is actually my favorite.

Brown bogie is aggressive, but really good as well.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Not my thing but I'm often tempted to bite into some tasty tobacco. Chewed Peterson Plug a few times, it's good, peppery. Just prefer to smoke the leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.