PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I am enjoying a wee pinch of Mac Baren Virginia 1. Anyone else try this? It is kind of nice- reminescent of Red Man without all the sugar and crap.

Reactions: yanoJL
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Never thought to try it nor will I as I'm not a dipper/chewer. The one and only time I tried dip/chew it took all of about 10-15 minutes for me to throw up all over my front porch. My friends got a good laugh from it, but I felt like crap. I'll stick to smoking mine, thanks.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Does not sound like a good idea. There is a higher risk for mouth cancer and you will probably throw up.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Ya, my uncle is a skoal dipper and ran out while we were fishing one night, he stole a pinch of my double eagle, had to hide it from him because he liked it.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Never tried it, but I do enjoy smoking plug chewing tobacco once in a while.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
How do you figure auspipe? Seems like wishful thinking that consuming tobacco in one form is any safer than another, but then I haven't done any research on that. I don't get sick at all on the rare occasions that I chew, and the pipe tobacco is no different- it is a lot milder and obviously fewer additives then Copenhagen, Skoal, etc.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I had a pretty hard time STOPPING dipping. dont want to go down that road agian.

cumberland

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Must admit that I've been chewing tobacco at work during the past ~ 4 years...
Reason is that i work as a security guard, sitting in a room doing surveillance of monitors, alarms etc. for 13 hours a day (not all days of the week, though). Since I am basically not allowed to leave that room unless I need to go to the toilet, there is no such thing as a smoking break. :(
Also, back in January 2008, smoking was banned throughout in the building where I work....
That made me try chewing the pipe tobacco that I normally smoke in the morning before I go to work:
Capstan "Gold Navy Cut".
The flake makes it easier to control the tobacco in the mouth, and due to the nature of that specific blend, the taste is "natural tobacco". There is little to no additives in that tobacco, too.
I chew that tobacco pretty much all day (during those 13 hours). I have to say that the FIRST time that I tried chewing tobacco, I nearly vomitted all over the desk and monitors! LOL
I have consulted my dentist and have her check my mouth/gums regularly... she told me that there is NO sign of damage etc to my mouth/gums. On the contrary: it looks healthier now since I smoke less and therefore have less stained teeth, she says.
Believe me, though: the FIRST thing I grap when I come home from work is my pipe; preferably a huge one. I fill it with Peterson's "Irish Flake" and enjoy the REAL smoke after 13 hours of chewing tobacco.
When I have 7 days off work (which I normally have 2 times a month) due to the long working hours, I don't chew any tobacco (or rather: almost not any! LOL ) but smoke about 6-7 pipes a day, depending on the type of tobacco I'm smoking and the size of pipe.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I tried chewing a little piece of Penzance or Stonehaven, cant remember which at this point, because my friend basically dared me and it smelled pretty good. It tasted like crap though, I spit it out after a couple chews.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
It's not an unusual practice. In the 1800's many plug style tobaccos were made for both chewing and smoking. It was all in how you prepared it. Small shavings off the plug rubbed out to smoke or a bigger slice for chewing when it wasn't a good time to smoke. Va's make a good chew, burly can be a little bitter, most aro's are terrible. I have tried it and found it much better than factory chew. I still prefer it in a pipe :puffpipe:

cumberland

Lurker
May 10, 2012
most aro's are terrible.
Could not agree more with you. I used to chew the Capstan Original Flake (blue tin) but they (Orlik Tobacco Company aka Scandinavian Tobacco Group) has changed the recipe lately so that it has a hint of "chocolate". Now while the tobacco still CAN be smoked (although it doesn't taste as it used to), the "chocolate" flavour is really noticeable once you chew the tobacco. Quite frankly, it tastes nasty.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
I never tried chewing tobacco but now my curiosity has got the better of me, knowing there's an old pouch of MacB Va somewhere in my stash. If I turn green I'll post a pic...

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Never puked because of dip but I do enjoy it from time to time. It gives me a good buzz and when a "dual wield" by adding a cigarette.

Depends on the chew though. I would say that Red Man is a mans chew. If you can chew Red Man then you can chew any bacci.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
never tried, although I have tried Swedish snus a few times....was ok, but made my gums burn....so i guess i will stick to smoking it for now. i can see why some folk might want to chew heavy sweet cherry vanilla aromatic tobaccos, but I am not sure the taste comes through too well

jhclark

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
Funny, I've only ever thought about chewing aromatics - never thought to put any english in my mouth.... Maybe a nutty burley...
Good to know not to try it! I tried chew more than a couple times, but it never took (though I LOVED the taste of Copenhagen long cut... I loved the spice more than the drug... If only they made nic-free Cope!) Also tried red-man, only bought 1 pouch, and I found it to be a much milder taste - like raisins or prunes... Not an unpleasant taste, just very sweet. Not sure how long a dip or chaw is supposed to last, but I probably have had a pinch in my lip for a good half hour before, and the red man probably lasted 15 minutes because I got bored with it, couldn't get it to sit right (or maybe I was afraid of swallowing the juice because it was so sweet...)
Swedish Snus (like the new Camel product?) is pretty ok - I liked the peach (or whatever it was) flavor, but couldn't swallow the juice even thought they say it's ok to do... made my throat itchy if I did, and felt like acid reflux.
Guess this new B&M Aro blend will have to stay out of my mouth and wait for my pipe to be clean after all...

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey you should check out the Gatlinburlier they have custom chewing tobacco, as in they blend their own. I actually hate chewing tobacco, but some of it smelled wonderful.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I posted the same question here a while back.
Yes, it can be done. Yes, I've done it. And yes, it's pretty good if you choose a nice flake.
I find it hard to believe I ever chewed that sugary, molasses-soaked crap they package as chewing tobacco. Plus, as someone mentioned, many of the plugs and ropes were actually manufactured to be chewed or smoked.
I only chewed when I played baseball years and years ago, but I have done it once or twice since starting the pipe -- with flakes. (I can't imagine chewing a latakia blend, however.)

Status
Not open for further replies.