Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jxwx8qalexr4lk/2014-08-16%2022.44.49.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqa9qss1dip6y0s/2014-08-16%2022.45.40.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ni1kfqugnqv9i9g/2014-08-16%2022.45.15.jpg
Its the one on the bottom right. It was my first and is around 6 years old now as I bought it new. At the time I had no idea how to hold it in my mouth, hence the crazy bite marks. So far there isn't a hole in there, but there's a problem that a pipe cleaner cannot go through.
Think its worth saving or ditching?
As you can see, since then I've picked up a few more along the way

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
It's definitely worth saving, if nothing more than a sentimental piece. As for the smokability of it, I think it would be fine to smoke, I have a Dr. Grabow that belonged to my dad, its stemm is pretty chewed up but it still smokes fine.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, it still smokes well, but I find myself ignoring it these days, although if I could replace or repair the stem it might be a good pocket pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can replace the stem. You can likely find a stem to retrofit, to plug right in, or you can get a pipe

repairman to cut a new stem, or tailor a stem to fit, for not a huge sum. You obviously like the pipe,

so I'd do it.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone to restem in Australia, might shelve it until I find a local option. Thanks guys.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Some restorers here use black superglue to fill the voids and then sand it down. I'd say that if you peruse Reborn Pipes you might find some advice there.

dwt63

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
Try the slip on rubber tips make for damaged/chewed stems. They work for me.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Papipeguy referenced rebornpipes.com, an invaluable resource for DIY pipe restoration. The process of raising dents using a heat source is addressed in a few different places. I haven't tried them myself yet, but I will be in the near future since I picked up several pipes with well-chewed stems.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, its my canines biting through, and besides, I had no idea to stick it so I literally bit into it half way through the stem.
The newer pipes don't have the same damage..

jonesee75

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
I have been able to raise dents in the stem by laying a damp cloth over the stem and pressing that flat part of a knife blade over the dent. The heat transferred through the cloth will raise the dent. Greg at reborn pipes likes to use a small tea candle and utilize slow passes over the flame which will heat the dent and help raise it to the surface.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The ability to pass a cleaner is a requirement, for me. If you can live with the issue, keep on keeping on. If not, get a stem replacement.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Vulcanite I assume? If lucite I couldn't fix it. Vulcanite It is fixable with work. I am fixing something kind of like that. I am fixing a gbd meer with a similar style stem. It the button was broken bitten through with a crack on the top and bottom middle of the button. There is also a crack down the back side with a whole worn on through the bottom. I bought it with only two pictures so I wasn't surprised it was kind of a wreck. But liberal use of black super glue, needle files, and sand paper is making it useable again.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301244399275?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
PM if you want me to take a shot at it. Or send it to Steve Laug at rebornpipes blog. Im sure he would take a crack at it.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
The black superglue is pretty amazing stuff. I used it on a nylon stem with less than stellar results. I just got done repairing a divot in the button on a vulcanite stem and I can't even tell where that patch is at this point it blended so well and is a perfect color match. It's like it's made to repair vulcanite. Will be interesting to see the transformation on the one you are working on snagstangl. Post pictures so we can ohh and ahh :)

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
rubber tips work well, but also I have a bunch of heat shrink that I like to put on the end, and shrink onto the stem. I clench so it is also more comfortable than the lucite...

Status
Not open for further replies.