PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I know some ropes and plugs can be used as chew. Anyone dip other forms? Blends in particular? Anyone try an aro?

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I do not think any of these would taste good. The chew/dip market (in the US at least) is geared toward a sweet flavor. Pipe tobaccos although sweet (aros) taste different when chewed. I know the old timers a lot of times would chew tobacco and when done they would put their wad of tobacco somewhere to dry then come back and smoke it in their pipe.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Personally, I don't like the taste of ropes as chew. Not at all, though I enjoy smoking them. For a chew, I much prefer Days O Work, and for a dip, I like Copenhagen. I dip when I can't smoke. It is very addictive, and I recommend to all to stick to the pipe ONLY. I wish I could take my own advice, and one day I hope to give it up completely.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I dip when I can't smoke. It is very addictive, and I recommend to all to stick to the pipe ONLY. I wish I could take my own advice, and one day I hope to give it up completely.
I'm happy to be the old nag, here: Give that sutff up, brother! Get some nic gum, if you have to, and then enjoy the pipe.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have chewed the black rope on occasion in years past. Cut a hunk off and tuck it in. It is pretty powerful stuff unless your accustomed to having a big wad of loose leave in your jowls. It's different, and just leave it at that.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Smokin & chewin are 2 different things. I wouldn't try it but you might like it. Like stuffing a Camel cig between your cheeks.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Smoking tobaccos rarely taste good chewed, chewing tobaccos smoke like shit. G&H do make ropes purely for chewing as well as ones meant to be smoked.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I've never had the urge to chew pipe tobacco but I certainly enjoy chewing chewing tobacco. My favorite is Lancaster. Years ago when I was in the Corps, I smoked cigarettes. Well, you can't smoke in the field so I resorted to dip first. Didn't care for it, still don't today but loose leaf chew is tasty! I like to use it when smoking my pipe isn't practical; work, mowing the lawn, etc.
Any other chewers?

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
As a reformed dipper, I whole-heartedly support those who have recommended that you quit.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
+1 bryanf
I have periods of time where I slip back into chewing. Grizzly wide cut wintergreen right now. I usually dip copenhagen, wanted something different.
I enjoy a pinch of 5 Brothers when the mood strikes, has enough nic to calm the craving.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I was sick for the last couple of weeks and not smoking. I was going thru my jarred up baccy and I found a blend that I forgot about: Kendall cream flake. I can't smoke I because it kills my mouth. I opened it to smell it because it has the most delicious smell. I decided to break off a small bit and chew it. It was delicious although I can't see doing this very often.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I was sick for the last couple of weeks and not smoking. I was going thru my jarred up baccy and I found a blend that I forgot about: Kendall cream flake. I can't smoke I because it kills my mouth. I opened it to smell it because it has the most delicious smell. I decided to break off a small bit and chew it. It was delicious although I can't see doing this very often.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Copenhagen Wintergreen for me boys!

Cope Wintergreen. God I love that shit. I quit for two whole weeks last month, nearly creamed my shorts when I popped open a fresh tin. Nothing like that lifesavers-esque burst of wintergreen when you crack the tin.
As much as I love my pipe, there are way too many times when it's too much of a hassle to smoke. Like when I get called in to work fo noon and management doesn't leave until five.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I think the Gawith ropes chew well. I tried Brown #4 and loved it, although I haven't done it since. I used to chew and could see myself falling back in to that habit real easy.
When I did chew regularly, Lancaster was my brand of choice. That is the softest and sweetest loose leaf chew I have ever had aside from Fred Stoker and Sons stuff which is no longer available. Levi Garrett wasn't bad either. I always loved good chewing tobacco and would probably still enjoy it if my wife didn't completely oppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.