PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What an interesting package, not just the tub, but the whole concept and blend. This is the Hearth and Home Mid-Town Series match for the discontinued Walnut, by Russ Ouellett at Pipes and Cigars. It's quite a blend to come in a tub, with "smooth Burleys, Maryland and Virginia...accented by ...Kentucky, Turkish and a bit of Latakia." It improves on the old tub tobaccos by lacking all or most of the additives and is the only one in the series that is non-aromatic. I've only smoked about five bowls, so I'm not ready to pronounce on everything, but for a tobacco so mild, it is rewardingly complex, and it retains the virtue of the old tub tobaccos by being easy to light and keep going, and sustaining an even burn. I wanted to try it, and when they put it on sale for $19.99 for 14 ounces, I stepped right up. The box arrived just before a storm, and the postal employee left it in the open by the side door rather than under the porch. But with a plastic tub, it mattered not. The leaf is light, loose, moderately moist and lovely, with a beguilingly complicated "nose" that really piqued my curiosity. It goes best, so far, in a great big bowl -- right now an ample Ferndown bent billiard--that gives its six constituent tobaccos room to expand and meld. Oh boy. What's not to like? Some may find it too mild or boasting too slight a dose of Latakia, but I'd call that splitting hairs. I think many pipe smokers are going to find this a little too good, nudging over some of the more expensive and choicer blends with its sturdy understatement and intriguing nuances. Not just anyone can put this kind of blend together, but Russ had done it this time, I believe.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MSO: I don't understand why people buy a blend knowing it's light on latakia, and then get mad that it's light on latakia when they smoke it. They shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Well, anyway, I think Chestnut is good, and I can't hardly tell any difference between it and Walnut. I got a tub, too!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I bought a tub of Sweet Cask.Never got around to Sugar barrel, so, for $20 why not...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For those who want to try Chestnut before committing to a tub, it also comes in a 2 oz. sample for $399 at P&C. I took the gamble for twenty bucks, and I'm glad I did.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I'm a huge fan of Chatham Manor and although I suppose that technically it can be labeled an aromatic but it is a very light one and displays none of the goopy tongue biting behavior of most of the aromatics I've tried over the years. It never cloys and is indeed an enjoyable all day smoke regardless of whether or not it's an accurate match for Carter Hall. I can pleasurably smoke this blend five or six times in a row but I've never found a real aro I can tolerate more than one bowl at a time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
darwin, in this series Chatham Hall is definitely the next one I'd try.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Yep, haven't had the Chestnut yet, but Walnut is one of my favorites. I still have an unopened tub, and one opened one, and I don't smoke it all the time, so it will last me a while. It's good to know that there is a match that is it's equal, and made by none other than our friend Russ.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
MSO, like you, I quickly jumped on Russ's Mid-Town Series, ordering Chestnut and Chatham Hall. I've smoked both the old Walnut and Carter Hall. Russ has nailed the codger Walnut with his Chestnut. Splendid! I'm holding back on Chatham Hall for a couple more days.
Ahd, oh, yes, I love the tub and art. Neat.
Well done, Russ!

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks for informing me about this blend. Walnut was one of my go to tobaccos. I just ordered some Chestnut. Nice to know that they were able to keep it close to the original.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"How long do you think an unopened tub will last before drying out? ... "
There is a heat shrunk plastic seal on the tubs so they should last a very long time unopened. Even opened the tub seal is pretty good. I've had a tub open for three months and it has not noticeably dried out.

Status
Not open for further replies.