PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
As I puff away on some Dunhill Navy Rolls, Nakamura the US chess champ is facing Carlsen the Icelandic World Champion across the board in the US's largest chess tournament! Anyone, else following this?
On another note I just ordered a half pound of Esoterica Blackpool, anyone tried it?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've not been following chess since the days of Bobby Fischer - but I still have an appreciation for the game. I once played Grandmaster Ednar Mednis in a exhibition game - I am happy to say I was the last man standing, not because I was so great, but because I played strictly by the book. Eventually, when he was done with the rest of the players, I had to fold because he no longer had other games to deal with and even on my best day I had zero chance of beating him.
My friend, Kirk on the other hand, was an A-Class player and thought he could beat Mednis (since he had 19 other players to contend with). Kirk, who was much better than me, was very gutsy but was out in 10 or so moves.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
It brings to mind a short story from George R.R. Martin featured in 'Dreamsongs', about a group of chess players who have revenge brought down on them from a scorned teammate.

Status
Not open for further replies.