PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I've noticed that I'm not the only one around here who enjoys chess, which, should be obvious when pipe smokers get together! So with that and the post on PMs versus forum topics in mind, I decided to appeal to the moderators concerning a forum "room" for correspondence chess games while putting the topic out there for discussion.

Am I the only one interested in this?

What could some of the rules be?

Time limits; interference; you do not have to smoke a pipe while contemplating your next move, but, if you choose not to there are greater odds of you losing; by turning down a challenge in which you are given odds you will be considered, ipso facto, a sissy, etc...

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
You tagged "sissy" :rofl:
I play chess and collect chess sets. Not sure about it on here though. :puffpipe:

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Really good American chess player actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUCRX4zOPfA
1. d4

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Been a long time since I've played with anyone who could even name the grid. . . but I could set up a chess set by my desk as play over the forum I suppose -- I've done it before I could do it again.
I actually mostly played with my father and I lived with him still at the time, we left notes by the set (me when I got up for school, him when he got home from work at about 10 am, me when I got home from school, him when he got up . . . we might actually play for an hour at that point and usually I was able to make a move before bed and him one before he went to work) -- Like I said, I'm sure I did play over a forum at some point, but most of the note-play was with my old man since it was just about the only time we could spent together. . .even if it wasn't actually 'together' heh heh.
Gotta warn though, the few matches I won back in the day were mostly luck. . and at this point I doubt I could win even with a healthy serving of it, against anyone.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Never got into chess myself, but if you want to play Go, I'm there. I'm no good but I love the game.
-Jason

thepipetray

Lurker
Mar 26, 2011
Love the game as well. I used to play with people all over the globe by sending the moves on a post card. We each had a book of game boards with sticky chess pieces. Played many games at a time but the games lasted months. This was way before computers.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Personally I think chess is a great way to get together with pipe smokers and enjoy each others company while broadening ones own mind and our beloved hobby. It seems we are few and far between and I think that it would be fun to have some correspondence games on here.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
BOARDS, Arthur...BOARDS!! Played the game out of necessity in the 70's while in an Army hosp. During OCCu. therapy, I even made my own BOARD (Arthur). I couldnt call the diff. moves or statagies, but enjoyed it while I did play!

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I ain't smart enough to play,....hell, I'm doing good to figure out where the keys to my car went.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
My university roomate and I used to play. We didn't study or know any famous strategies or anything, we just duked it out move by move. A friend of a friend stopped over one day and saw us playing and claimed to love chess so we set up the board and got at it. this guy had been playing chess for a long time and was a mathematics major among other things. I made maybe 3 moves and he looked at me and said do you want to accept your defeat now or shall we go through the motions? I'm thinking...who does this arrogant prick thing he is? Big deal, so you've been playing chess for longer than me...no one is that good? He noted my dismissal of his confidence and said ok, I am going to write down how I will beat you and fold it up and put it on the desk. Well holy shit if he didn't annihilate me in a few swift moves. I read the paper and it was almost bang on. I was just like but...what the...who...how the...wh..... Then he launches into a long winded speech about logic, mathematics and famous chess strategies. To me there is chess for fun with friends and then there is that kind of chess. There are some serious next level chess players out there.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Agree with Ohin3!!! there are some great players out there.
I think this idea could end up ok... I think you could just make a thread up when you wanted a game, and someone could join in... others could follow along with the moves as well. I think you are right in asking permission however, as the games could clog up the board and get the general feel of the site quite off topic. Maybe if there was a dedicated formum subsection, and replies to the thread were not included in the "recent posts" section (not sure what it is actually called, but what i mean is the list of threads that comes up when you click the forums tab) The games would not be a bother to anyone, as you would only see the replies when you went looking for them, but those interested could still tune in. I think I would give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.