Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
G'day All,
Hope everyone is well.
To say thanks to a mate of mine for helping out with my empty packaging collection, I usually get him a pouch or two when we meet up. Last year, I gave him some older pouches I had that were un-opened (and seal wasn't broken)... and I thought it would still be good to smoke. Apparently not!
This year, I want to make sure I get some fresh stuff for him.
He normally smokes Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish out of a pouch (I guess because it can easily fit in his pocket), and I'm wondering if there are any other pouch tobaccos that might be somewhat similar, but different enough to warrant trying them?
Hoping for a few recommendations so I don't go in empty handed, or wrong-handed! Appreciate your advice.
Thanks guys!

Mazzeh

Borkum Riff Cherry... ack... cavendish?

tumblr_inline_n270v5KDxR1s6h39c.jpg

Sorry, ugg, that's embarrassing when I do that.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If he likes Borkum Riff then he may like Paladin Black Cherry. Lane's TK-6 is a decent cherry blend from what I hear and can be ordered in bulk.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Dutch Masters Cherry Cavendish if it's still in pouches. Sutliff Black Cherry would do if you decide to get a bulk cherry blend.

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
@Cosmic: The smell of it is a little bit like that, I reckon. Can't blame you. :D
@papipeguy & @JimInks: Thank you for the suggestions! I'll look into them. :)

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
After having a look at the suggestions, I don't think that bulk tobacco would go well with our customs. If it's over 50g, the fees get insane really quickly.
It looks like Dutch Masters Cherry Cavendish is out of stock. Paladin Black Cherry is still there.
I found Captain Black Cherry... how does it compare, if anyone's tried it? (Maybe I'm suggesting heresy here, maybe it's the spawn of the devil?).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cosmic: Yes, Sutliff makes Black Cordial and I recommend that one, too.
Mazzeh: I've tried CB Cherry, and it burns too warm and the cherry has an artificial taste to it.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Cosmic pretty much summed it up for me. If you must go the cherry route, my best advice is some Lane Dark Red or Cult BRM. Dump that pouch empty and refill it with one of those.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Boswell Pipes has some good ones in bulk, but their a bit pricey. My favorite is Pennsylvania Dutch Treat.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2718/boswell-pipes-tobacco-pennsylvania-dutch-treat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hard to gauge other peoples' tastes, but Palatin has been around forever and cherry is their major flavoring, so it might sit well with someone who prefers cherry.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
I would recommend a 50g tin of Cult Blood Red Moon and he can fill an empty borkum riff pouch with it or get a leather tobacco pouch.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
+1 on the Cult Blood Red Moon. Although I tend to like Gawith Hoggarth's Top Black Cherry. It's a little more subtle with more tobacco taste. Whatever you end up with I'm sure he'll be happy with it if he likes cherry tobacco.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
  • Newminster No.3 - Very Cherry
is the only one I can take (ignoring Caminetto Barolo which I can no longer find).

mazzeh

Lurker
Sep 8, 2016
Wow, thanks for all the recommendations guys! Especially the cherry cough drops, haha. :nana:
I think all these will give me a good starting point to try and get my bud something nice. Cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.