PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
In keeping with my journey through GL Pease blends, this evening lit up some Chelsea Morning. The tin note was of a light English blend but what I'm tasting is overwhelmingly sweet, nothing at all like EMP or 965. I could smell the Latakia but can't taste it. (edit: half way through and I get a hint of Lat - the slightest suggestion, and a nip of Perique) Did I just mispinch and overload the VAs at the expense of the Lat and Perique? Or have others had this experience as well. I'm a recovering cigarette smoker and long time cigar smoker - is it maybe that I've just over-hardened my palate and need a heftier tobacco, or is this stuff bordering on the too-sweet?
TobaccoReviews . com comments indicate experiences totally different to what I'm having. Interesting. It's evolving a bit as i get deeper into the bowl, but the sweetness is still dominant. Thoughts and comments?

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I haven't tried it yet, have it on my list though. It'll be interesting to see how it tastes to you after a couple of more bowls.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's still on my TAD list, who wants to lend me 2 grand so I can try all the toby on my list?!?!?!?
Can't wait to try it, everything about it sounds great!

jlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2011
Denver
I certainly had a different experience. As I recall it's not a major lat bomb or anything but I found the lat pretty unmistakeable. The other funny thing is that I always found it a bit sour. Not in a bad way - but in that dark side sort of sour that I expect from this kind of blend - and not sweet. It's been awhile since I had a tin open of this so my memory may be hazy. I have some more on ice in the cellar so I'll come back to it again at some point. I think that Quiet Nights is superior from the GLP Old London series and would recommend it over Chelsea Morning.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I think Chelsea Morning is one of my absolute favorite blends. It's really a toss up right now between that and Magnum Opus; neither of which are really latakia heavy (as far as I can tell, and I'm a big latakia fan.)
I'm through the first half of my first tin of Chelsea Morning and I've added this to the regular rotation and cellar. I'm anxious to try Quiet Nights since I'm seeing a lot of positive discussion about it alongside Chelsea Morning.
I've not gotten the lemon-zest experience but otherwise, a bit of what you've said @sothron rings true which would probably indicate the blend just isn't for you.
One thing you might try is to rub it out just a little and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. I've noticed the Virginias seem to be slightly less pronounced when I do. I also noticed a cup of coffee really does pair well with it (meaning it didn't seem to just be product hype after all).
EDIT: and if you do decide to trade, please let me know!

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Dont remember chelsea specifically, but i do know i enjoyed it. I agree quiet nights is the better of the two.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
An update on an old post: I revisited this tobacco a few days ago. This time I smoked it in a nice, wide, shallow prince. Now - I'm not one to usually get too technical about things I purely enjoy (like pipe smoking). But I have to say there was a huge difference in my experience with this tobacco vs smoking it in a large, tall billiard. I have read that a taller, narrower bowl focuses the sweetness of the VAs. Perhaps that is why I had such a lemony taste? Overall, I've changed my tune on CM. It's not going to be one of my favorites, but I'm no longer a detractor. For my next experiment, I'm going to smoke some in a billiard and see if I get that overpowering lemon again, or if the issue is drying out the tobacco a bit vs bowl shape impact on flavor.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a fan of Chelsea Morning and it's close cousin, Meridian (no perique, maybe a little more latakia?). It is a mild blend, which is my preference.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
CM is a wonderful blend. Light on latakia and very nicely balanced. I don't find it nic heavy while some of my friends find it overwhelming which is a shame because they love the taste.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
This tobacco has given me quite a variety of smoking experiences. Just yesterday morning my bowl of it was "exactly" like your opening post description. I really liked it after I stopped trying to find the Latakia. Later, you mentioned lemon zest - this is a profile I have not picked up in CM. I have had a number of "flat" smokes, where nothing at all really stood out. If the rest of the tin performs like yesterday's bowl, I would buy it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.