Check Your 2012 GL Pease Navigator

(16 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just cracked a tin of this stuff dated 12/06/12 and wow has it changed in the years since I first tried this blend. When fresh it had some rough edges from the burley that have totally gone away, I still enjoyed it fresh but I am glad I put the rest away. It is sweet and full of great Virginia flavors like raisins and figs. I get no grassy or hay type flavors as those are a total turnoff to my tastes. The rum is probably there but I cannot specifically taste it.

This is one of the blends from Pease that I can smoke as it has no red virginia's in it like many of his other blends. I am very glad I cellared this one deep. If you have any of the the original release now is a good time to crack a tin. If you want something that is going to taste great down the road, grab some. I know the description says some reds, but it has to be a minuscule amount as it doesn't bother me in the least.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, Navigator is good stuff. I enjoy it, rough edges and all, fresh, but aged a couple years...
    Wow! amazing great smoke.

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Have you tried smoking reds lately? Your chemistry may have changed a bit.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Navigator is about as exquisite a blend as you can make with Va. and DFK. GLP knows his stuff.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Sextant is another that I enjoy as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, I have to give you credit on this one. When I was building my cellar in 2012 you told me to cellar Navigator. I tried it at the time, and while I liked it, it didn't blow me away. So I only cellared 6lbs of the stuff at that time. Last year I tried a tin (then, with 5 years of age) and I was blown away with how fantastic it tasted. It is on my list to get a few pounds more.

I will also say that I have had the same experience with Union Square (though can't give you credit for that one). Thought it was ok when I first tried it, but with 5 years age the stuff became just stellar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

chasing, I still get a little tingle when I smoke Solani Silver Flake which has more reds than anything else in my cellar. I can handle it for a bowl but not 2 in a row.

peck, glad you really like this one, I wasn't positive it would turn out this good. I need to thank you for the Klondike Gold. I cellared it deep because of you and I am damn glad I did since it was discontinued.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. maduromadness

maduromadness

Login to Send PM

Recently cracked a tin from 2013 and indulged for the first time, quite tasty stuff. Sweet and creamy virginia's with a smokey spicy backdrop and some nutiness that progresses down the bowl. Seems to me that there is a decent proportion of reds in it, and I do taste rum, never interferes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That’s a blend I’ve always been meaning to try.

It occurred to me a couple of weeks ago that the end of McClelland, while unfortunate, opened up some room in my cellaring budget for some different blends. And that means some more fun trying new things to find something to fill the gap.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerfer

Login to Send PM

That's good to hear. I love Sixpence, and so bought some Navigator to compare. The Kentucky overwhelmed everything--it was not enjoyable. I tried to trade the rest of the tin, but had no takers. I'll just leave it in the jar and revisit it later.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been meaning to crack a tin of Navigator, that one is on the list for next in line. I think I have a tin from 2014.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You scared me. I thought this was going to be another “There’s mold in them thar tins” thread. I’ll have to move some of my Navigator stash into the rotation. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ same here.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. rx2man

rx2man

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Grabbed a tin for tomorrow. Was all puffy, let out a hiss when I opened it. Its been doing its thing for sure.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Illustrates how wrong early impressions of a blend can be, either because the blend needs a little age, or because our tastes evolve or need a little time to understand what a blend is offering. Most blends aren't "love at first puff," although that sometimes happens.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

rx, my tin had also bulged a little but it swooshed when I opened it. I admit I was a bit nervous when I cracked it as I did have issues with some 2002 Pease tins.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, lestrout, snagstangl, acidpox, jaytex969, geopiper, odobenus, oldgeezersmoker, pitchfork, boffosquid, ben88, disinformatique, ray47, morgansteele