PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I decided that since i can't afford an expensive pipe, and I'm pretty handy with wood, I would take a crack at making one. I won't be making my own stems and all that advanced stuff, But I'll probable buy some Ben Wade freehand style stems and work with that. I found some gorgeous marbleized ones for a little over 5 a piece so I'll just go that rout. I bought 4 Blocks of 40 year old Cypress Briar. They are very rough, and today Ii couldn't take it anymore, I had to see what the grain was like. I hand sanded with an old sanding block for like 2 hours on one side of one of the blocks. Then i took a hickory nut casing and some pure grain alcohol and stained the sanded side and rubbed some olive oil on it revealing some really neat grain. There are a couple of pits. i hope the come out when I shape the pipe. Here is a picture. Use your imagination and try to see the bowl and shank possibilities.I think the strait vertical lines are saw marke that i didn't get sanded out.

2012-08-17005348.jpg

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Awesome grain showing, keep posting the pics as you go, definantly interested is seeing the finished product...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good for you - I wish I had the skills to attempt making a pipe. I look forward to seeing the final product!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Thanks for the support guys!! I am excited. My access to the wood shop is limited so this will probably be an long term project. I am keeping 1 and giving the other 3 away. I have had a couple of guys that completely went so far above and beyond what i could have ever even dreamed of to help me out. One especially. you know who you are!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Hmm, that first block is certainly unusual. That grain is just plain weird compared to most briar ... if I were you, I'd make it a rusticated or sandblast to bring out it's uniqueness.
I need to give myself a proper kick in the pants and get my own pipe project in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.